Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
CIO in toddlers...?

DD is 2.5 and still not STTN most nights. Last night was a common occurrence. Bed at 6:30, up at 11:30 until 4:30am. Then I wake her up at 6:30am to go to work. The only way to get her to sleep was putting her in our bed which DH is against. I did try and put her in around 12am as well but she wouldn't fall asleep.

Anyway, I've had enough. I don't want to CIO but at this point I've had enough and need a solution. If CIO will work, I'll do it.
I saw a book called the no cry sleep solution for Toddlers. Anyone have success? How do you CIO at this age? She can get out of her room easily.

Help before I kill a kitten every-time she wakes up.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Re: CIO in toddlers...?

What does she do when she wakes up?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talks and plays.

I should mention we have a bedtime routine and we can get her to sleep within 15 minutes. We've tried doing the routine at night when she wakes up but it doesn't work.

She also doesn't nap during the day. Her choice not mine
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Is it possible that 6:30 is just way to early for her to go to bed? Could you try putting her down later? If my DS went down that early he'd be up half the night too.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've wondered about that. She used to go to bed around 8 but I wake her up at 6:30am for work and we found she was a bear all day so we started to put her to bed earlier.

Is it possible she needs less sleep now then she did 4 months ago?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I must say- I am starting to have this issue.
My children have always been wonderful sleepers. From very early on they would fall asleep when we put them to bed, and wake up around 9:30am.
Now my daughter who is 4 1/2 has been waking up multiple times at night. She has CP and can't get out of her bed on her own, but she starts screaming. If I don't run in there quick she will wake up all the other kids.
It is normally something like she pulled her sheet off her bed. She wants a different blanket, or she gets to close to the crib rail.
There are also times that she wants me to roll her over, yet as soon as I do roll her over she wants back.

I have never had to do the CIO with any child. Yet I am almost to the point I need to put my DD in her own room and let her CIO if there is nothing that needs to be fixed. I have a video monitor on her and could tell if there was something really wrong.

I hope you get it figured out. HUGS.
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

Even though my DS is only 1.. he wakes up alot in the middle of the night, and talks and plays for about 15 minutes.. Why do you need to let her get up? Can't she just play in her room?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When she wakes up she cries until we go in there. She won't fall asleep unless we are laying on her floor. So if I go in there and she starts playing, I threaten to leave her room if she doesn't close her eyes (this works for bedtime) but she keeps playing. It's like she's had a nap and is now wide awake.

I don't feel comfortable letting her play while I sleep because 1. I'm in her room and I think that won't help for her bedtime #1
2. She can get out of her bed and room if I'm not in there.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well after reading the CIO thread, I've decided that's not happening in our house.

I'll try snacks before bed, water in a sippy, later bedtime and talk to DH about co sleeping. If none of that works, I'll suck it up, keep trying my best and pray this is a phase.

Last edited by EuphoricDysphoria; 01-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

I really doubt that 6:30 is too early for bedtime, especially if she doesn't nap. I think that 12 1/2 hrs of sleep per day is about average for kids her age.

My ODS is a couple of months older and we went through this a few months ago (when DS2 was born) -- he was up multiple times a night and wouldn't fall back to sleep unless I sat in his room with him (he did this at bedtime too). I would threaten to leave if he didn't lie down and close his eyes, but he'd ignore me. Then, when I'd actually get up and make a move toward the door, he'd start crying (hysterical, heart-breaking crying), so I'd end up staying. When I went back to work when the baby was 12 weeks old, I'd had ENOUGH. I was exhausted. I finally resigned myself to some crying and one night at bedtime, we did the routine, I tucked him in and said "big boys go to sleep on their own," and left. There was some crying, but you know what? It lasted less than 5 minutes. And that was IT!! Now sometimes he does still ask for me to "snuggle" with him at bedtime, and I do, but I always leave before he's asleep and he's fine with it. So, the bedtime issue was fixed

As for the night waking, it's only once a night now and he does come in bed with us. DH hates it (somehow he gets the brunt of all the thrashing and kicking, lol) so I actually just ordered the No Cry Sleep Solution for toddlers book! I'll let you know if we find any answers! Here are some things I've thought about trying, though:

1. Insisting that he stays in his room. I know I can't *make* him sleep, but I can make sure he's in his room. So I've thought about gating the door (seems more humane than locking him in, kwim?) and just going in when he wakes up, putting him back in bed, saying good night, and leaving. I guess I'd just have to do this as many times as he woke up. Not sure how I'd handle it if he was really crying though. I'm sure I'd cave.

2. One of those toddler clocks, the ones that glow red when it's time to be in bed and glows green for when it's okay to get up. DH thinks it's ridiculous since there's nothing actually stopping him from getting out of bed when it's red, but I've heard about people having success with them.

Good luck and let me know if you have success! I'd love to know what works