Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:
My newbie is fed on demand. I may space it out a bit when she gets older, but for now I love to snuggle her with a bottle all day long anyway.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you feed on demand or by a schedule?

On demand.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the beginning it was on demand but we quickly learned his "normal" and started using a schedual. But it changed frequently as he grew and it wasn't super rigid.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
fides
Registered Users
seller

i feed on demand
fides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

We do a combination, I suppose. He kind of fell into a routine on his own, which is every 3 hours. Sometimes he wants to eat after 2.5 hrs. and we go with it. If he acts hungry after only 2 hours or less, we really try to satisfy him with something else (rocking/walking/playing/etc.) first, but if he really wants to eat, we feed him. He has reflux, which is well under control, but if he's eats too much or too often, it comes back up...so we walk a fine line with this guy!

Last edited by SPJ&E; 02-26-2012 at 03:49 PM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ&E View Post
We do a combination, I suppose. He kind of fell into a routine on his own, which is every 3 hours. Sometimes he wants to eat after 2.5 hrs. and we go with it. If he acts hungry after only 2 hours or less, we really try to satisfy him with something else (rocking/walking/playing/etc.) first, but if he really wants to eat, we feed him. He has reflux, which is well under control, but if he's eats too much or too often, it comes back up...so we walk a fine line with this guy!
We do the same kind of thing; we have a schedule to follow and both my kids have fallen into it of their own accord for the most part. We will try to stick to the schedule if it's WAY early for a feed (unless she pukes most of her last feed up or something like that of course) and just distract her, but if it's just a few minutes early, we go along with her. Pretty much, unless we're due for a feed, we just try all the 'other' stuff that might be bothering her (diaper change, wrapping her up/unwrapping her, holding her, burping her etc etc) first.

Last edited by ExpatMama1990; 02-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.
ExpatMama1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
SavedQuarter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our 6 week old eats every 3 hours (4 hours at night), not because I've put her on a schedule but because that's when she seems to be hungry.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #28
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

On demand here.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #29
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Where did I read that nursing on demand leads to children at a lower risk of obesity in adulthood...

Somewhere, recently!

I nursed on demand. Always.

My friend was a schedule feeder. I would sob when her failure to thrive baby would visit. Never nursed before the 3rd hour and her dr bullied her into it. Disgusting.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #30
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Where did I read that nursing on demand leads to children at a lower risk of obesity in adulthood...

Somewhere, recently!

I nursed on demand. Always.

My friend was a schedule feeder. I would sob when her failure to thrive baby would visit. Never nursed before the 3rd hour and her dr bullied her into it. Disgusting.
So I hope this doesn't spur a debate, but I read and tried to follow the Babywise book with my first 2. My oldest was sttn by 8 weeks. I was in HEAVEN, BUT I was convinced I had low supply, started giving bottles, but didn't pump and it made the problem worse and he eventually weaned at 4 months. Same thing with my 2nd one. They always gained well, but probably because I supplemented. They were never FTT, but those evening "witching hours" weren't nearly as bad with #3 who got to nurse practically 4 hours straight!

By #3 I decided that book was being tossed out of my house!! I did, and still do, on demand and he's 12 months! But thankfully he eats table food well. I wouldn't be able to keep up with him!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. I never did wean to more bottles. DS still just gets a bottle before bed, but now it's regular milk instead of formula.

So funny to go back and read old posts!