Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
cmb123
Registered Users

Washing with Tide?

So I was at a popular cloth diaper store in the area and the owner asked me about my wash routine. I told her I started with just rockin green in the hot wash cycle but when that didn't cut it (left w lots of staining) I started adding about a teaspoon of tide free and clear to that first cold rinse (as suggested by some of you mamas) and then RnG to the hot wash (followed by an extra rinse.) she gave me a really judging look and said, "well you are really taking some big risks... That can cause some major rash issues." I then told her I had been doing it for a month with no problems with my babe, and then she said ,"well its still dangerous for your diapers."

She then proceeds to try to get me to purchase more fancy diaper detergent, so I can't tell if she was just trying to upsell me (which I hate) or if I should be worried.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

cmb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
She was trying to up sell you. You will know if it causes your LO issues, and I personally believe that only using CD detergents or you will damage your diapers is a big fat MYTH!

But that is just me. And sadly I probably would have told her to shove it... To me, if my diapers don't come clean, they are worthless, so I will not stress about my non-CD friendly detergent. I would not worry.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Washing with Tide?

CD safe laundry detergant is a JOKE imo, the stuff SUCKS!! Anyone I have seen with diaper issues, like stink, repelling, stains, ammoina have ALL been using CD safe detergant, and once they switch to a "real" detergant, one that actally cleans thier diapers, they were so much better!!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420
CD safe laundry detergant is a JOKE imo, the stuff SUCKS!! Anyone I have seen with diaper issues, like stink, repelling, stains, ammoina have ALL been using CD safe detergant, and once they switch to a "real" detergant, one that actally cleans thier diapers, they were so much better!!!!!
Actually I thought that when i had super soft water until I moved in to an area with normal water and now tide and other regular detergents leave our diapers smelling like poop. We had to switch back to RnG to get the house-filling smell out of them and stop the blistering rash. So, not always.

Sent from my iPhone. Autocorrect hates me.

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i use and love tide. i have been using it for MOST of the 2 yrs that i have been CD'ing my son. i attempted "greener" detergents (namely rockin green and charlies) and found that neither got my clothes or my diapers clean.

not sure what kind of danger i am putting my dipes or my LO in by using tide, since the only time DS has ever had a diaper rash has been when he's had stomach bugs/diarrhea.

ironically, the scariest rash threads i have ever read on diaper chatter have not been started by mamas who used tide...(if anyone remember about a year ago there were some pretty crazy rash pics floating around out there---none from tide users that i can recall). just my
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes
i use and love tide. i have been using it for MOST of the 2 yrs that i have been CD'ing my son. i attempted "greener" detergents (namely rockin green and charlies) and found that neither got my clothes or my diapers clean.

not sure what kind of danger i am putting my dipes or my LO in by using tide, since the only time DS has ever had a diaper rash has been when he's had stomach bugs/diarrhea.

ironically, the scariest rash threads i have ever read on diaper chatter have not been started by mamas who used tide...(if anyone remember about a year ago there were some pretty crazy rash pics floating around out there---none from tide users that i can recall). just my
The recall thing? Yeah that is badness.
Good thing it was fixed so quickly

Sent from my iPhone. Autocorrect hates me.

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420 View Post
I agree. When I used cd detergent, the ladies at the store told me to use 1 teaspoon of it to prevent build up. 1 teaspoon? once I started using tide we had no build up, no ammonia, no stinkies, no rashes,no repelling, and no stains. Before that I was switching from one cd safe detergent to the next, trying all sorts of crazy additives. The cd safe detergents don't even work on my normal laundry! Some of them only have washing soda and oxygen bleach in them. WTH is that going to clean?

Eta: RNG had a scary rash fiasco too. I got some of that stuff and it was nasty! My wipes smelled of raw sewage! not poop or pee, but sewage! It was worse than washing in just plain water!

Last edited by *Peanut*; 01-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

She was just trying to upsell you. Although I am sure she really believes that. I have found that SO many store owners, IRL cloth users etc. believe that you must use such and such detergent. There is NO SUCH THING as CD safe detergent. I wish they would never tell anyone that. Whatever it is, if it is working for you then it is CD safe. If that's RnG, great. If it's Gain or a homemade detergent, awesome go with it. Also a lot of these same people believe that some sort of smell is normal and unavoidable when in reality if your diapers are clean they will not smell. That means you need to tweak your routine or change detergents. They just are trying to make something works that in reality doesn't actually work for many people.

For me personally I bought the hype 5 years ago and listened to what the local shop said to use on the diapers which was Charlie's. Simply did not work. Neither did every other "safe" detergent. I believe I tried 5. It wasn't until I gave up out of desperation and used some TIde and bleach did that fix it and we have not had one single problem since. Been using the same diapers for YEARS and they are fine. It's not even logical. Exactly what will Tide do to cotton. Disintegrate it? Will it catch on fire? Absolute worst case scenario is that it doesn't work for you for whatever reason and so you strip and try something else.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 01-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I started with "cd friendly" detergents (Country save and then Charlie's) and had issues in just over a week. Then I switched to Tide, and haven't had any issues since. Although, I still have some original Tide, haven't tried the Ultra version.