Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
valeriem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any parents of deaf children?

My daughter age 5 now is deaf, lost her hearing when she was 3. We have a new little one we are watching closely. I just found this board but would love to find other parents of deaf children

Advertisement

valeriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 is hearing impaired with auditory neuropathy. 1 cochlear implant, 1 hearing aid. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions. DD2 has normal hearing so I can tell you about the difference I saw in my hearing and hearing impaired babies.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
reesie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any parents of deaf children?

I am not the parent of a deaf child but am interested in your observations. I am a peds nurse practitioner and frankly not too fond of ever missing anything. Tell me what you noticed if you wouldnt mind. I know we do newborn hearing screens and that does pick up some issues.
reesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
valeriem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd's hearing loss was progressive. She passed her newborn hearing screening and was talking at a normal age. We didn't realize that she was loosing her hearing or even question it till she was 3. There is no hearing loss in our family. By the time we figured it out she had list everything in one ear and had a moderate loss in the other. It has continued to go down. She has a CI now and is doing very good. Her audiologist and ENT have said she probably had some loss at birth.

I can tell the difference with our new baby (he's only 7 weeks now). But he startles and reacts to noises that dd never did. He will cry if someone sneezes for example. And he soothes with the white noise soothers that they sell while dd didn't react to them at all. They still say the new baby has a 25% chance of having the same thing and loosing his hearing. Do our fingers are crossed that doesn't happen.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
reesie
Registered Users
seller

Thank u that is helpful
reesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriem View Post
Dd's hearing loss was progressive. She passed her newborn hearing screening and was talking at a normal age. We didn't realize that she was loosing her hearing or even question it till she was 3. There is no hearing loss in our family. By the time we figured it out she had list everything in one ear and had a moderate loss in the other. It has continued to go down. She has a CI now and is doing very good. Her audiologist and ENT have said she probably had some loss at birth.

I can tell the difference with our new baby (he's only 7 weeks now). But he startles and reacts to noises that dd never did. He will cry if someone sneezes for example. And he soothes with the white noise soothers that they sell while dd didn't react to them at all. They still say the new baby has a 25% chance of having the same thing and loosing his hearing. Do our fingers are crossed that doesn't happen.
Was it connexin-26? I am a known carrier for that and we were investigating it as a possibility for my DD.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Same with my babies. If my hearing impaired daughter had been a second child, I would have never believed them that her hearing was normal. She failed 3 NB hearing screenings, but 'passed' an Auditory Brainstem Response. Looking back at it later, the audiologists feel like it wasn't a 'good' pass, but in the absence of other info it was good enough at the time. Because of the Auditory Neuropathy, her hearing abilities can vary from day to day, and even with a cochlear implant the sound may still be too distorted for her to have the hearing precision needed for speech as a primary mode of communication, though she definitely hears better.

Difference between my 2 girls:
DD1 (hearing impaired) - made almost no sounds, except for laughing/crying/a gutteral noise that sounded like she was 'rolling' a 'g'. Never acted excited when I asked if she wanted a bottle, only when she saw it. Depended heavily on routine and would get easily upset if we did something out of the ordinary. Had several ear infections by 18 months. Did not consistently startle at loud noises. Did not turn towards voices. Could sleep anywhere, anytime, when she was tired, we never had to be quiet for her. Never seemed to be soothed by our voices. Needs physical contact (skin to skin) when falling asleep. Only liked toys with vibration or flashing lights.

DD2 (normal hearing) - startled at loud noises consistently, even my husband sneezing. Turns towards voices. Knew her name by 6 months. Gets excited when I ask if she wants 'milk milk' (what we use for nursing). Began imitating sounds I say between 8-10 months. Is soothed by talking/singing. Engages in a lot a babbling and vocal play. Loves toys that make noise/music.

That's all the obvious stuff, anyway!

To OP, since you have a family history of progressive hearing loss I would recommend at least annual monitoring by an Audiologist of your 2nd child, just to be on the safe side.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
valeriem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
Was it connexin-26? I am a known carrier for that and we were investigating it as a possibility for my DD.
No they tested that and it was normal. She has Enlarged vestibular aquaducts.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by daddyn4wisechix; 01-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
KLadyBugMama
Registered Users
Formerly: faithfulorangekids
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi, I'm deaf myself and have worked with deaf children plus soon to foster a deaf little girl I know ASL and Cued Speech so if any questions PM me!
KLadyBugMama is offline   Reply With Quote