Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Fought my second battle with PTL...Baby Girl is here!

I've been posting in my DDC, but thought here would be an okay place to post as well.

I had preterm labor with my first at 30 weeks. I was dilated to 2.5cm and was able to stop contractions with terbutaline and keep them at bay until I delivered at 35w5d. I did get the steroid injections to help with lung maturity in my 30th week. She was born screaming, no troubles despite being early and all the fighting to keep her in.

So fast forward to my current pregnancy.
I was started on 17P injections at 16 weeks due to unknown cause of PTL with my first. I wasn't feeling right on Dec 28th (30w1d) so I went to the hospital. I was 2cm dilated 50% effaced, and having irregular contractions. I made no change while I was monitored, so they sent me home. I had a follow up appointmetn the next day, and I was still at 2cm, and was started on Procardia. I began taking Procardia that day, and was fine over the weekend. I was taking 10mg every 4hrs. I was told to sit/lay/relax as much as possible.

Tuesday the 3rd (31weeks) I had a regular appointment scheduled, and given my bouts the week prior, I was checked. I had progressed to 3cm, and 60% effaced. I was sent immediately to L&D for monitoring, foregoing the growth ultrasound they had scheduled for me (she was measuring large at my last ultrasound) . Upon arrival at L&D, I was contracting. They monitored them for a short time, and gave me terbutaline. That knocked them almost completely out. I was given one more dose, and my first steroid injection. I was sent home.

Again, they ordered a follow up visit for me the following day. This was Wednesday the 4th (31w1d). I was checked, and found to have progressed yet again to 4cm and 70%. This time they did my growth ultrasound first and then sent me to L&D. She is still measuring about 2weeks and 3days ahead, and approximate weight was 4lbs 11oz. Upon arrival after a short period of monitoring, I was put on magnesium and given a catheter. They started me out on 2mg of mag, but I was still having contractions so they bumped it up to 3mg. At which point I was feeling wretched. Contractions calmed down, and they backed the mag down to 2mg again. I got my 2nd steroid injection, my family went home, I got an ambien and went to sleep.

Today...January 5th (31w2d). Doctor came in this morning, and things went well last night. My contractions haven't ceased completely, but they are now far enough apart to not cause much concern. I have not been checked again since yesterday, and they said they likely won't, as it can cause more irritability and issues. I will be taken off mag and have my catheter removed today at noon (1.5hrs from now) and be allowed to shower. I have been started back on my procardia, and it will be a wait and see game how things go off the mag.

Thanks for reading if you made it through my rambling...
I'm just hoping to find anyone with experience similar to mine that would be willing to chat and share.

Update January 30th

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Between frequent hospital visits and doctor's appointments things have been kind of hectic. This is copied and pasted from my DDC FB Group, about the most recent hospital visit. My doctor's office does have me farther along than I was calculating, putting my due date at March 3rd instead of March 6th. Which makes me 35w2d today.

I went to the hospital yesterday afternoon because I felt like I was maybe leaking fluid. When I got there, they checked for fluid and I was not leaking. I had however went from 4cm and 60-70% on Friday to 4.5cm and 70% (I had two people check me, the first said she would let the other nurse check me but I saw her whisper that she thought I was 5-6cm). They also said baby had come down to about -2 and they could feel my bag but it was not bulging. My contractions were somewhat painful, and I was having them about every 7-10 minutes. So they called the provider on call for my office which was their midwife. They came back in (about two hours later) and had to check me again (another different person checking). The midwife had them check me and then told them to have me walk for 30 minutes, and then be in bed on the monitor for 30 minutes so they could keep an eye on baby. During my walks, I felt a lot of pressure and some pretty painful contractions where I had to stop and hold onto the handrail on the wall and sway. My contractions were every 3-5 minutes by then. They had me do this twice, and then yet a fourth person checked me and said probably no change. So after about another 30 minutes I was discharged.

She's here!

I wanted to let you ladies know that I delivered our precious baby girl early Friday morning at 35weeks and 6days. She weighed 7lbs 3oz, and 20" long! She's doing well, and we're home. I'll post a link to my Birth Story once I type it if you all would like

Advertisement

Last edited by bccc624; 02-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.
bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
MandeeTheGreat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sending hugs! I just had my little girl at 35 weeks 6 days because my water broke prematurely. I hope your little one stays in awhile longer! I didn't have to stay in the hospital for an extended period of time...it must be so hard!
12/16/10 & Cesilee 12/29/11
Born Preemie @ 35 weeks, Check the Blog and shop ZULILY

Last edited by MandeeTheGreat; 02-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
MandeeTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
famaza
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Currently fighting my second battle with PTL...*long, sorry*

famaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Mystery
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't have any advice but just wanted to send you hugs and support.

I went through something similar. My water broke at 34 weeks with my oldest. I found out later that the strange feelings that I'd been having and told my midwife about were contractions unlike what she told me. I started contracting early again with my 2nd. Ended up on bedrest at 33 weeks after I finally told my OB that things just didn't feel right. That baby was born at 35 weeks by c-section. I was contracting every 1-2 minutes through procardia that day. With my last pregnancy, the contractions started in early 2nd trimester. I ended up on bedrest at 26 or 27 weeks. Steroid shots, frequent ultrasounds, procardia, frequent nsts and bpps. Even with the procardia, my contractions never slowed down to anything less than every 7 or so minutes. She was born at exactly 36 weeks.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I never went into labor with my girls but they were born at 34weeks and 33 weeks respectively due to PPROM. It was HARD being in the NICU both times but the second time around was agonizing. It was "interesting" because both girls were due on the exact same time 3 years apart and my water broke on the same day 3 years apart. My exhusband thought I was joking when I called him at work to tell him to come pick me up because my water broke. But we were really upset after that because we both knew exactly what was ahead of us when it happened and we knew we would be in for another NICU stay and a rough few months with our daughter having already been through it with her big sister. It's easier in some ways because you know what to expect and it's old-hat to you but in some ways it's harder because your dreams of that perfect labor, birth, and babymoon are dashed YET.AGAIN. And you start really questioning your body's ability to keep your babies safe and carry them to term. I got my tubes tied after her because I just couldn't go through it again having already had two preemies due to unexplainable and unpreventable reasons.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

I am home, I was discharged earlier today. I haven't progressed any farther, and the nurse actually said it was like I went backward a little bit! So YAY! I am on bedrest with bathroom and recliner/couch privileges. I will hopefully be this way until at least 35-36 weeks!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

So, how are you and baby?

I have two premmies due to PTL. The first labor started at 26 weeks and I made it to 33 when I had PROM and he was born at 34 weeks... just under 2 weeks in NICU and he's heathly and did fine! Had issues nursing and eatting and still to this day it takes a battle to get him to eat. The next baby I started PTL at 27 weeks and he was born due to PTL at 35 weeks. And had a oxgen tent for a few hours and then never had a problem at all. Nursed like champ and has done excellet! Pregnant again and so far I'm OK. The placenta was very low at the last U/S, so that's being watched. I was about to head for L&D a few days ago, but things calmmed down with water, rest, and a warm bath.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Currently fighting my second battle with PTL...Updated 1/30

Sorry it has taken me a while to update. New stuff is in green in the original post

Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
CharlottesMom09
Registered Users
seller

Re: Currently fighting my second battle with PTL...Updated 1/30

I just wanted to say that I've been through a pretty similar experience this time, and I'm now (very happily!) 39 weeks pregnant. My DD was also born at 35+5 because of PPROM, and I had to go on bedrest at 27ish weeks this time because of bleeding, probably from mild placental abruption. I was hospitalized earlier last month for PTL and had the same treatments, Terbutaline and Procardia, and while my contractions never stopped, I'm still pregnant! I'm hoping your little one stays put as long as she needs to, as well!