Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

What is your schedule of early prenatal visits?

I just found out I'm pregnant and tried to schedule some prenatal visits. My son was an IVF baby, so I had two very early ultrasounds - was able to see his heart beat at 5w5d, which was very reassuring. I went to my first prenatal appointment around 10 weeks, and had a quick (abdominal) ultrasound.

This time, they want to do:
-A nurse visit between 6-8 weeks. Just talking, filling out paperwork and blood draw to test some stuff - I'm not sure what all - thyroid, hemoglobin, etc?
-An OB (or midwife, in my case) physical around 10 weeks. Again, no ultrasound. I also just had a pap/annual in the last few months, so I wouldn't be due for a pelvic exam during this pregnancy. I asked if I could just skip this visit, because I can't understand the point of it? They didn't love that idea. I would like to do the nuchal translucency/blood tests around 12 weeks or whenever they do them.

I realize that I was spoiled by having such early ultrasounds before, but this is annoying. No ultrasound until 12 weeks, yet two appointments before? Is this typical?

Advertisement

BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
babylovinmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is your schedule of early prenatal visits?

That sounds pretty typical to me. I was with an OB with my first 2 pg's and both followed the schedule you described. I have been with a mw for the last 3 pg's and have also followed that same schedule, for the most part. I believe that, unless there is a problem, it isn't normal practive to have an ultrasound until around 20 weeks. Some practices will offer them earier though.
Roberta~ crazy crunchy, sometimes soggy, wife to my love and mama to 4 little pieces of my heart and waiting on #5! If you can't find me, I'm probably hiding in the corner licking the beaters
babylovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With my first pregnancy I went in at 13 weeks for my first appt and had my first ultrasound at 20 weeks (give or take, I think it was 19 ish weeks)

With this one I had my first appt at 7 weeks with ultrasound for dating.

Another ultrasound at 9 weeks due to cramps.

Another one at 11 weeks after a car accident

And another ultrasound at 15 weeks because they couldn't pick up a HB on the doppler!

That was all with an OB I've since switched to a midwife and have my big 20 week scan at 20 weeks 4 days (1/11)

Not sure this is a "normal" it depends on office and doctor you see.

Sent from my EVO 4G using DS Forum
Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal to me. My OB does usually do a quick dating ultrasound at 10 wks but the family practice dr. I went to for my first did not, and some of my friends' OB's don't either.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yep think that pretty normal unless they feel something is wrong
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal to me. Most doctors around where I live will not see you until 10 weeks. With my last child I had a ultrasound at 10 weeks to check dates, but I did not have one this time(different doctor). This is fine with me, as I do not plan on having more than one ultrasound and that will be around 20 weeks.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds normal to me too. My OB office has a general list of what happens at what appt and it pretty much looks like what you said except no ultrasound until 18-20w. My ob awesome and up for whatever though so early ultrasounds when I spotted with my last preg were not a problem to do at all.
This time around I have felt at piece with thus pregnancy and scheduled my first appt much later than recommended which was fine with my ob as well. Of course I then ended up in the hospital for a few days with hyperemesis and and my was quick to do an ultrasound at my request.
If you're nervous it doesn't hurt to request an early appt or ultrasound! Also, maybe invest in a doppler. I love mine! Been able to find both this babys and my last babysitter hb around 7w

Last edited by jes750; 01-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Yeah. I guess I knew it was fairly normal to not have an ultrasound until 12+ weeks. I am just not getting the real purpose of the first two appointments.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it sounds normal but with this pregnancy and my first I didn't have an appointment until 12 weeks and first ultrasound for the 20 week anatomy scan. Both have been low risk and no need for dating really, they adjusted my dates on the ultrasound but I knew LMP.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Things are a little different up here since everyone's covered medically, but in general you go once a month to see your doctor. If you're doing the standard OB route, you'll see your GP until the third trimester unless something comes up that causes you to refer early, midwives in general start care earlier, as soon as you have a placement with them (they're in great demand up here due to a lack of them). I went for an appointment shortly after going for a bloodtest to confirm pregnancy at 4 weeks, where my doctor did a full history (or filled in the history he had already) and sent me for screening bloodwork. I went again at 8 weeks and was scheduled for a dating ultrasound for 12ish weeks. They did a urine test at every appointment, checked my weight, asked me questions to see how I was doing etc. For 16 weeks I had been accepted into a midwifery practice and the appointments are similar, if more hands off and more options.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote