Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trouble with family dog

I would keep them separate. A pp said that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a human and that is not true but rather is an old wives tale. Dogs have many dangerous bacteria from licking their anus', chewing underwear, getting into rotten food, and many other unsavory things that they adore. It is very unfair for a little one, who has no ability to comprehend how disgusting and dangerous this is, not to be protected from doing it. I'm not saying at all that you are a bad mom. Many people allow the same thing out of ignorance.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

We have a beagle, also, who loves to kiss. She is so affectionate. We don't allow her to do it, though. Personally, it grosses me out, because after all, dogs lick their butts to clean themselves! We have called her down about it quite a few times, and now she doesn't do it nearly as much. If she starts to lick, all we have to do is say her name and she stops.

Our beagle lives outside with just a little inside time, though, so it's a different situation, I guess.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a huge lab that loves the boys. She would snuggle with them and lick them as babies. Never bothered or hurt them one bit. I just tried to redirect and work on petting gentle. It was a short lived phase.

Then the baby will start moving and see the dog drinking out of the water bowl and joins right in.

Just wait until the baby starts eating with silverware. The boys love to "share" thier food. That means sticking their spoon over the side of the chair for the dog to lick and go right on back to eating.

I have discoverd over the last 5 years that it is a loose/loose situation and to just roll with it. I could go on with more stories. The boys are all very healthy, love their dog, and the dog loves them.

They were sick right before Christmas and three of them (2 boys and dog) spent the entire day snuggled on the couch.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have 2 dogs... I love them, they love my DD... No one swaps spit! The dogs have always got in trouble for licking anyone anywhere... They lick their butts! My pomeranian would try to lick dd when she was around that crawling age and I would tell them both "NO" and separate them. It didnt take long for them both to learn, in the meantime I supervised them closely.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always trained my dogs to stop whatever they are doing with a firm NO. I would teach the dog to respond immediately to that word, and distract baby and dog every single time. Dogs licking people on the face is a big no no here from puppyhood.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I have no advice. I taught my dogs no licking when they were little puppies. I can't STAND being licked by dogs.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

I wouldn't want my child hitting my dog
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
zabnut
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker
I wouldn't want my child hitting my dog
Well no, not hitting. A baby whos 8 months old kinda slaps and grabs at everything without knowing what "nice petting" is. He slapped me across the face a couple weeks ago that knocked my glasses off.
At that age they don't quite realise that they hit, they mostly flail their arms.
zabnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
cristancanoe
Registered Users

We were able to reinforce "no licks" with our dogs. With consistency it was relatively easy to do. We never allowed the dogs and DS together unsupervised (until recently) so I was always able to stop the licking if it occurred.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

OMG this thread made me literally LOL. Just the way OP phrased it cracks me up...

No advice really - I agree with others that it is harmless, and try to redirect if you can when you see it happening.

Last edited by sasra_nu; 01-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote