Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #21
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trouble with family dog

I'd be part of the no licking too. I'm sorry but I don't want dog butt in my mouth much less my kids mouth. You may have to keep them separated unless you are actively helping the "petting" going on. Once the babe can get their face away when they want to (walking) it would be more ideal for the dog to be around so the child can get away. Also they will begin to realize that not licking is ideal. My grandma tells her weener dog "NO LICK!" bc he used to get in DDs (and everyones) face all the time. He is better about it now.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #22
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
Formerly: TaReeses
seller
seller

My two pugs do it too! As soon as I turn away it happens! I haven't been able to stop it. At first I used to be really bothered about it (especially since my DS is my first kid) but now I don't make such a big deal about it. Lol but I know what you mean mama
BubBubsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple
Well I have to say, I'd rather that be going on then the child hitting the dog. I would never allow that!

Anyhow, I would just say "no licking" and distract the dog with a toy or something. But really it's not something I would worry about much. Maybe try distracting your ds. I've never personally had success training a hound to stop doing something they love (digging, howling, ect)
I agree with this. I also agree just mothering thing. My beagle/shepherd mix was very motherly toward any new baby. Heck child. Protective, loving, etc.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #24
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Gross, I'm dreading this. We have two dogs. I hate them licking so we always tell them no but they still try. We always tell them no when they try to lick the baby but she's not mobile right now. However, I don't totally trust them so never leave them alone with her. But the one dog licks the cat's butt. EWWWWW. I don't want her licking my baby's face or hands, but it does happen.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
spring2011
Registered Users

how about just making sure you brush the dogs teeth and spray a little listerine in his mouth every day? lol I grew up kissing on my animals so it doesn't really bother me that much. DD and I both kiss our bunnies regularly but not in the mouth..Id like to keep my lips.
spring2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Sorry to say, but my experience with two "regular" kids is that the fascination with the dog licking them in and about the faces is normal. If I see it happening I redirect the dog or kid or both, but I can't prevent it every time. It is gross, but it hasn't hurt anyone and it hardly ever happens anymore.
Yep completely agree. 2 kids and 5 years later occasionally the dog still licks them. After about the first week home with DS1 i gave up. It hasn't harmed anyone yet.

teh boys and our 6 year old yellow lab have a very special bond. they love each other. She is the most loving gentle dog. She lets them pretty much do what ever they want.

I do teach them to be gentle and especially no hitting. Many, many times they all three lay on the couch and watch TV or movies. Espeically when they are sick, she is right there snuggled up with them.

I can't even guess the number of times the boys have shared thier food. Meaning they will give her a bite right off the spoon and go back to eating. It may be gross to some people but I dont' let it bother me.

She is part of our family and I will not keep her seperated. If she choose to go lay in her special spot that is just fine but she doestn' get banished just because she licks one of the kids.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Totally normal lol.. My 2 year old loves our dog and knows that dogs lick as kisses so she tries to lick him back lol. I suspect he will be licking the baby soon too. I kiss my dog all the time on the cheek and head.. He likes to lick my hand. Idk I think it could be worse lol your kiddo could be smacking or biting the dog!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is one of my favorite pics of DS1 and our dog. I snapped it right before she licked him for about the 100th time since he was born.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #29
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabnut View Post
Well no, not hitting. A baby whos 8 months old kinda slaps and grabs at everything without knowing what "nice petting" is. He slapped me across the face a couple weeks ago that knocked my glasses off.
At that age they don't quite realise that they hit, they mostly flail their arms.
I don't have a dog or much advise, I'd probably just roll with it though like many mama's said. But your post here is so true, it made me giggle because DS does the "slap grab" and tried grabbing my grandmothers glasses the other day but ended up slapping the piss out of her. Sounds bad I find this amusing... but she's a spunky 64 who's practically in better shape then I am at 22 and she laughed more then I did. lol

Good luck mama! And I wouldn't worry too much about the doggy trouble... although it's gross and dogs lick their bums, as descendants of wolves the good bacteria in their mouths are designed to kill harmful stuff... unlike ours since in the wild (or sometimes home) they'd eat putrid rotting stuffs.

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 05-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #30
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

lol!
Gross but harmless imo.
Tell them both 'no licking' and eventually the child at least should stop it. The dog probably never will. It's rather sweet really.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote