Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you know your supply is good enough?

I'm pretty knowledgeable about breastfeeding, but for some reason I lose some of the knowledge when I'm the one doing it. Lol

I don't remember questioning my supply with DS, but now with DD2, I'm always wondering if I'm making enough. With DS I leaked a lot, and for a long time!! This time, I usually don't leak, and DD2 is only 5 mos. I've been engorged once or twice in her life (I didn't even get engorged right after she was born!).

So at about 6 mos old, how do you tell if your supply is enough?

Advertisement

Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

If baby is hungry. If they're not having enough dirty diapers. If they're not gaining weight.

I was very regular by 6 months. It may be your body knows what to do!

Sent from my bed or on the move.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've had an over-supply with all three kids, and never leaked after 2-3 weeks PP. I'm grateful for that .

As long as your LO is having enough wey/dirty diapers, growing fine, and seems satisfied, you're fine!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How do you know your supply is good enough?

With my first, I leaked for the entire first year. I would have random letdowns all the time. Now I am nursing both my littles, and I pump to donate, and I don't leak at all most of the time. I think my body has figured out that it doesn't need to just randomly let down the milk!

Like a PP said, if your baby is gaining well and having enough poopy and wet diapers, you shouldn't worry.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp.

Also, kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding moms and has lots of info on supply, normal growth for baby and how to know if LO is getting enough. I'd go check out kellymom.com - it'll probably reassure you, a ton.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, as long as she's having enough wet and poopy diapers you're good. If it's coming out then you can rest assured it's going in.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

How many diapers is "enough" though? I can only find info on the newborn period.
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stopped leaking after I went back to work around 8 weeks pp! Despite that, my daughter grew ridiculously fast, so I know that my supply was good. I didn't even pump as much as I should have at work; I just nursed her at lunchtime and nursed throughout the night.
I agree that your baby would probably let you know if there was a problem.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
How many diapers is "enough" though? I can only find info on the newborn period.
Pooping gets tricky because some kids (like my DS) poop really infrequently after about 2 months. They can go up to 14 days without pooping and it's totally normal, but then it's a doozy. My DS poops once a week-ish and it is huge.

I think 5 or 6 good-sized pees a day is normal, too.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake

Pooping gets tricky because some kids (like my DS) poop really infrequently after about 2 months. They can go up to 14 days without pooping and it's totally normal, but then it's a doozy. My DS poops once a week-ish and it is huge.

I think 5 or 6 good-sized pees a day is normal, too.
Ds2 has gone 4 days before between poops. Thank God the cover contains it even when it gets to the outside butt of the pre-fold.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote