Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
perinial massage?

Whose done it leading up to their birth? Do you think it really helps? My mw gave me a sheet on how to do them...and after reading it I'm not all that sure I want to do it. Just wanting to hear experiences/opinions regarding perinial massage prior to labor.

Advertisement

mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Lasilas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: perinial massage?

I did it for a few months before and believe me it didn't do a thing. I still ended up with a 3rd degree tear and my little guy was only 7 lb 14 oz.

When I think of all the time I spent contorting myself into odd positions trying to do it I could cry.
Lasilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did it was DS and I only tore a teeny bit up by my clitoris and it healed completely in less than a week. I didn't tear at all on my periniem, so I think it did help. I've heard there is really no point after you've already given vaginal birth once. It's not bad though, I didn't push myself to far. I pressed and stretched til it tingled, not until it was painful for me.

ETA: I didn't have to get in any odd positions? I just put my leg up on the tiolet seat, oiled my thumb and did it. Not hard.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
coleina
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dont know if this helps but I asked my (amazing!) midwife about it and she said that it is less for the physical reasons but to train yourself to be ok with that sensation and to practice letting go and opening up when you feel it.
coleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
crunch!910
Registered Users

With DS1 DH would help me during a bath, lol. WE never got the oppurtunity to test, but since DS1 was posterior, if he was born vaginally with me on my back, I would have tore.

I've read tearing is more influenced by baby position, mama birthing position, how fast mama pushes, and the lastly size of baby.

We'll start soon probably. If for nothing else, to "practice" feeling the stretchy feeling and not tightening up. A lot of women feel it, and clench up, and that makes the tearing worse.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've definitely read conflicting things. Some midwives/doctors feel that it helps, and others are concerned that it's another way of scaring the mom into thinking that her body isn't capable of birthing effectively unless she does all kinds of things to "help" it along. I didn't do it last time and had a very minor tear, and I'm sure that I won't this time, either. I personally think that being relaxed, birthing in a position of your choosing, and listening to your body while pushing are probably more effective ways of preventing tearing than massage before the birth. I also have heard that some women will just tear because of the way their bodies are made, even if they do everything "right", so it's just hard to predict what will happen.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
ashleyandbaby2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleina
I dont know if this helps but I asked my (amazing!) midwife about it and she said that it is less for the physical reasons but to train yourself to be ok with that sensation and to practice letting go and opening up when you feel it.
My mw says the same.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

My midwife use to recommend it but I don't think she does anymore. I never did it and I have never had more than a "skid mark."
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I did not. And I had a big tear that stopped just short of tearing muscle. But I also only pushed for 1 hour, and my baby head her head the wrong way forward so I had back labor. It was presented to me in a birthing class as something that could help prepare your body the 1st time.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Didn't do it. Water birth. No tear.x