Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ouch bleeding nipple

So I was feeding DS this morning and when he pulled off I saw blood on his check and in his mouth. I thought he has bit his tongue or something, but he wasn't crying. Then I noticed it was coming from my nipple. It looks like there is a whole in my nipple and it's bleeding from inside.

The backstory: DS is a very fast vigorous nurser so it almost always hurts to nurse him. He pulls back on my nipple the whole time and I have to hold the back of his head so he doesn't pull my nipple off. He's 9 months now so I think it's too late to change his habits now.

Heres my questions. What can I put on my nipple for it to heal faster? I've just been putting milk on it. also he spit up and it looks like he's getting a lot of blood in his tummy, is that ok?

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bump, it's still bleeding when he nurses on that side sometimes. It doesn't bleed when I pump. Help
Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Liddlemomma
Registered Users

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin is a product the nursing consultant gave me when ds2 was born. It's a bit expensive in my opinion but it worked wonders on the soreness when I started nursing.
Liddlemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
jfrancis
Registered Users

Re: Ouch bleeding nipple

I agree with the Lansinoh lanolin-- I've used it on my bleeding nipples (it hurts just typing the words!) and it seemed to help them heal within a few days.
jfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
ArianaL
Registered Users
seller

APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) worked WONDERS for me. You need a prescription for it, and it is compounded, but has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties in it. It helped so much when I had cracks and bleeding.
ArianaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, I've been doing a saline soak after feeding, them putting some milk on it and then some lanolin. It seems to be getting better, but my whole boob is pretty sore.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
eponak
Registered Users
seller

Whenever he pulls hard on you, use your finger, break the suction, tell him "NO" firmly. STOP feeding. Offer him to feed again shortly thereafter. He is old enough for "no" or even "ow!" to mean something. If you are consistant and outwait him, the feedings should improve some for you. Worth a try LOL (worked when one of my kiddos would bite and pull)
Can you pump the bad side for a full day or so to give it more healing time?
eponak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponak
Whenever he pulls hard on you, use your finger, break the suction, tell him "NO" firmly. STOP feeding. Offer him to feed again shortly thereafter. He is old enough for "no" or even "ow!" to mean something. If you are consistant and outwait him, the feedings should improve some for you. Worth a try LOL (worked when one of my kiddos would bite and pull)
Can you pump the bad side for a full day or so to give it more healing time?
I don't know if he would understand since he's always pulled on the left side (doesn't do it on the right). If he bites (he's done it once so far) I take him off and he can't nurse again until a little time has passed. It seems to be healing. Still a little sore, but it's not bleeding anymore.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
LilandVivsMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma527

I don't know if he would understand since he's always pulled on the left side (doesn't do it on the right). If he bites (he's done it once so far) I take him off and he can't nurse again until a little time has passed. It seems to be healing. Still a little sore, but it's not bleeding anymore.
I know this thread is old, but I'm having the exact same issue with my 14 month old! She has always pulled her head back while latched, plus uses her hand to push on my boob. And only on the left side. I ended up bleeding all weekend. Did you figure out a fix?
LilandVivsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilandVivsMom

I know this thread is old, but I'm having the exact same issue with my 14 month old! She has always pulled her head back while latched, plus uses her hand to push on my boob. And only on the left side. I ended up bleeding all weekend. Did you figure out a fix?
Personally, I won't allow my son to nurse incorrectly. If you continue to let your DD nurse this way, the damage will get worse not better. You want bf to be comfortable and mutually desired for yourself also, for this to happen some limits need to be set.