Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
cmvikner
Registered Users
seller

Anyone tired of being dairy/soy free?

I had to cut out dairy and soy at just short of 3 months for DS2 and he's nearly 8 months now. I've been absolutely meticulous about not eating anything at all with dairy or soy. I'm starting to be a little tired of it...I'm afraid to test the waters of the allergy because he had SUCH terrible bloody colitis and we were so sleepless for weeks. I don't want to go to formula, frankly I am too cheap and totally inexperienced with bottle feeding. It doesn't help that we are going through another sleep disturbance from teeth or regression/progression. Not sure what it's all about, but he's nursing at least every other hour all night long. Sigh, I guess I just need someone to remind me that it will be over soon and I can eat a yogurt or some cheese someday...or maybe a stir fry. Or some sushi. Oh, gosh, maybe some cake. OK, I'm making myself crazy!

Thanks,
Carolyn

Advertisement

cmvikner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I know what it's like to miss dairy! I've been pretty much dairy free for over 2 years besides the times reintroducing then eliminating again. It stinks
However, I have found many delicious alternatives. Several box cakes and store bought icings are naturally dairy free. And making your own dairy free cake and icing is really simple.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
cmvikner
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone tired of being dairy/soy free?

Yes, I should try to make my own. Most of the packaged mixes and things from stores have soy in them, though. DS reacts even more to the soy than dairy. Maybe I'll get to baking sometime this week...thanks for reminding me that I can always make my own!
cmvikner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvikner
Yes, I should try to make my own. Most of the packaged mixes and things from stores have soy in them, though. DS reacts even more to the soy than dairy. Maybe I'll get to baking sometime this week...thanks for reminding me that I can always make my own!
Do you use the soy free earth balance? You could use that in place of butter and your choice of "milk" in place of dairy milk.

Do you like coconut cake?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining, but I would gladly go soy/dairy free if I could eat any number of the other things that I can't have due to my babies' allergies.

List of things: soy, corn, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, mangoes, kiwi, cherries, eggs

For a while, I also couldn't have tomatoes. Be thankful for the food you do have! And make yourself a homemade cake. You deserve it!
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am dairy free too, and have been for 9 months. It was really hard at first but isn't too bad now. I craved dairy alot the first several months. I still really want cheese alot of times. I don't mind not having milk, I never really drank it anyway, just cooked with it and put it on my cereal. We are trying mostly soy free now too. It is hardest when we go places because we have to check all the ingredients, take our own stuff or just eat at home. We make most of our own stuff, but not all. I have found some breads, Kopplingers? and Arnolds that are dairy free (but not soy oil)
You are right that soy and dairy are in almost everything! It is depressing sometimes how much stuff it's in!
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
MamaJax2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have been dairy free for 10 months and I don't really have a problem with it. I try not to think about it in terms of what I cannot have, but instead look at it as doing the best for DS. It means more sleep at night and a happy baby. Actually, I got a hold of some broccoli cooked in butter the other night and it made me sick and not DS. I've lost more weight since changing our diet and feel better too. Over seriously thought about staying this way. Its all in your attitude towards it. You can do it!!