Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
rckprincess2
Registered Users

Trying to go back to bf at 4 months help please.

Okay, so this is my very first post on the site. Hello, my name is Mary and my daughter who is 4months old(18wks today) has been a mainly formula fed baby. I tried the first wk to breastfeed her but she just refused. Even after asking for a lactation consultant(which they didn't have), even after I asked them not to give her formula, they did. I didn't realize how hard breastfeeding would actually be. I thought it was a mother/baby instinct. I was wrong. I tried for the full wk we were there. I tried for 2 wks afterwards to get her to latch and eventually gave up. It broke my heart horribly. Well I thought my milk was gone but at around 3 months I suddenly started leaking again. I had to wear breast pads again. I was ecstatic! I borrowed a hospital grade pump and was pumping every 3 hrs for about 30 minutes a time and was still barely getting an oz PER DAY. She still refused to latch. This time my very little support I had wasn't there. I was actually discouraged to do so by my husband...which is a hard thing to endure...He wasn't being mean, he just didn't want me to go crazy feeling bad that it wasn't working.

Well I'm wanting to try it yet again. I'm afraid of setting myself up for disappointed but I am so jealous of women that can bf. I wish that I could. I'm not going to tell my husband this time until after it works(if it does). That way I don't have any discouragement for it.

Okay all of that aside. I really need help with nipple confusion. Lillith has refused since birth to latch and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've watched hours of video footage on other women doing it and I don't know if it's just me doing something wrong or if she just down right refuses. I have a nipple shield I'm going to be working with in hopes that I can "trick" her into taking it. I'm worried my low milk supply will only upset her and make it impossible.

1.)Can I fix nipple confusion this late in the game?
2.)Is it possible for babies to just not want to breastfeed?
3.)How can I increase my supply without having to buy any accessories(we have no money. I know some recommend fenugreek and mother's milk)?

Sorry this is so very long. I'm in dire need of help. I would love to be able to throw her bottles away and not have to by formula ever again.

Advertisement

rckprincess2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
StarrieNight14
Registered Users
seller

Re: Trying to go back to bf at 4 months help please.

Hi there Hun,
I am no expert but my son is the same age as your daughter and I had a very hard time establishing breast feeding. He would not latch and the lactation consultants in the hospital couldnt get him to. I saw two other lactation consultants and they were no great help either. Sheer will was what it took for me, and lots of determination. So keep trying, you can make it! I pumped and bottle feed for the first month and then started by just trying to get him to latch once a day, then worked up to more.so just keep trying, do skin to skin, express some milk onto your nipple to make sure she gets the idea. One of the best things I did was feeding him between 1 and 4 am when you have the most milk. Just keep trying!
StarrieNight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am no expert either. Honestly I fee bad b/c it was a pretty easy thing for me. I would contact a lll consultant. They are so helpful. Maybe they have some advice? have you looked on kellymom.com? they are a good breastfeeding reference as well
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yes, it's possible. It will be A LOT of work though. The hardest part will be pumping/nursing around the clock to get a supply (like literally every 2ish hours day and night). I would just consider how much work is ahead of you and decide if you're up for it. It *could* take months to get your baby to latch, and latch correctly.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
ashley0314
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, don't force the latch. Do it when she's sleepy and more relaxed and if she becomes frustrated, stop. It took me two and half months to get my LO to finally latch. You want to make it an enjoyable experience and not a rough one because you won't make any progress that way. Just stay relaxed and let her guide it.
ashley0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
rckprincess2
Registered Users

No I haven't been to kellymom yet. That'll be my next stop. I know it will be hard. I want to do this so much. I want to have that connection to know that I not only birthed her but that I also was able to feed her the way nature intended. With the whole enfamil infant deaths it has only pushed me more to want to do it.

I've started with, any time she starts getting hungry I try to get her to latch. I don't force her and if she starts getting to that point I'll give her a bottle and try half way through the bottle. I haven't gotten her to latch at all yet. She pushes it right out but we are still trying. Doesn't lll cost money? Right now we are on the broke side and don't have the money. Plus that means I'd have to tell my husband were I'm going and I don't want to do that until I know she can bf. He's not very supportive so I'm keeping it to myself until I am successful.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

LLL is free of charge AND a great resource. I wouldn't suggest you even try and keep it a "secret" from DH. You are literally going to have to pump around the clock and trying to keep it a secret isn't realistic or convienent.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
rckprincess2
Registered Users

I didn't know they were free. I had seen a thing that said they were $20 for a membership so I had never even looked into it. I think I will call them tomorrow. And yes, I know it is unrealistic to keep it from him. I just really don't want the discouragement.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

And make sure you're using your pump correctly. Have it on a fast setting with medium to light suction until you get a letdown, then move it to slower with a harder suction.

If she's using a pacifier, offer the tit in place of it. Catch her hungry early and offer the breast first, I would say. And make sure your bottles have a 0 slow flow nipple.

You can do it!!

Sent from my bed or on the move.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Powersmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try oatmeal that will help boost your supply. Not instant. You can make cookies. Good luck mama we are rooting for you!
Powersmom is offline   Reply With Quote