Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many

I've had 3 c-sections (4 babies) due to my first son being a severe shoulder dystocia resulting in a birth injury to him and me! First c/s (second kiddo) was not fun due to a spinal headache. I got the blood patch and felt much better after that (I was wearing sunglasses in the hospital room and telling baby to please not cry cause it hurt my head sooo bad!). C-section recovery took 3 weeks to do light housework and a bit longer to feel more normal (my 14 mos. old son was still crawling so that did not help).

My 2nd c-section recovery took longer, but felt easier because I knew what to expect and what things I wanted to do differently (like walking asap, moving a lot, etc). I also cooked freezer meals for 6 weeks post-op and that helped our family a lot. I did have some complications from it though... a minor infection, but then I had sooo much pain when I urinated or had a period for 8 mos. postpartum. It turned out I had a scar adhesions on my bladder and a lot of scarring on my uterus. When urinating it felt like my bladder was going to fall out, it just hurt bad (because my bladder was contracting to empty). Then I got pregnant again and that stopped.

I did have pain on my incision during my 4th pregnancy. The doctor said it was from the lack of blood flow that goes to scar tissue. I told him it felt like the baby was just goint to kick through my incision and come out at any moment! haha. He was not worried. My c-section was difficult though. I had all that scarring that they had to work through to get to the baby and it took a long time because the doc didn't want to cut my bladder. Well, they tried to remove a lot of the scars, but in doing so, knicked my bladder. They sewed it back up and at 1 week postop. I had a few other issues that made my c-section stay not so great. I got the spinal headache again and had to get the bloodpatch. Recovery from my 3rd c-section was harder and it's taking longer to feel more normal. I, once again, was able to start doing light housework around 3-1/2 weeks postop, but had issues with pain meds (they made me so nasuceas) so I switched to tylenol which helped my nausea, but not the pain so much. My incision still burns and pulls sometimes. I'm 3 mos. postop and still can't workout because it makes my incision burn and feel spread open. So recovery has taken longer.

Doctors tend to say the more c/s you have, the longer the recovery. Our doctor said at 4 c-sections your risks of hemmrhage, placental abnormalities/problems, go up, but he says it's a personal choice to continue having kiddos or not. DH and I are unsure... I always wanted at least 5 kids, but this past recovery was not great. All that scarring was painful. Dh hates seeing me in pain which does not help! haha. We're on the fence...

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
newlifeSA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had my 4th c-section 13 days ago and this recovery has been very hard. During the c-section, the spinal wore off from my belly button upwards once they took the baby out. I felt everything and told the anesthesiologist. He asked if I wanted to be put under and I said no...didn't want to miss out on seeing my daughter. It was excruciating for about 25 minutes while they put me back together. They said I had a lot of adhesions and I shouldn't have any more children. That's fine with me as we were actually done with 3 and this baby was a surprise. My husband's getting a vasectomy on Friday and we're both happy with our decision.

Anyway, I'm still on pain meds almost 2 weeks out and don't think I'll be able to stop taking them until at least a few more days. I've greatly reduced the quantity and time between doses, but the pain is still very much there. I've also got severe swelling that still hasn't gone down. My feet, ankles, legs, hands and belly are very swollen and painful. The doctor told me it could take several more days to go down. Meanwhile, I'm stuck not being able to wear socks & shoes in the middle of winter!

newlifeSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
newlifeSA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had my 4th c-section 13 days ago and this recovery has been very hard. During the c-section, the spinal wore off from my belly button upwards once they took the baby out. I felt everything and told the anesthesiologist. He asked if I wanted to be put under and I said no...didn't want to miss out on seeing my daughter. It was excruciating for about 25 minutes while they put me back together. They said I had a lot of adhesions and I shouldn't have any more children. That's fine with me as we were actually done with 3 and this baby was a surprise. My husband's getting a vasectomy on Friday and we're both happy with our decision.

Anyway, I'm still on pain meds almost 2 weeks out and don't think I'll be able to stop taking them until at least a few more days. I've greatly reduced the quantity and time between doses, but the pain is still very much there. I've also got severe swelling that still hasn't gone down. My feet, ankles, legs, hands and belly are very swollen and painful. The doctor told me it could take several more days to go down. Meanwhile, I'm stuck not being able to wear socks & shoes in the middle of winter!

newlifeSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
mom2cse
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies...I love hearing other stories. I'm still so on the fense about all of this, but I don't have to decide now, so I'll take it from there. Being I was "cleared" for a fourth after my surgery, I'm not too worried for #4, however, for personal reasons, I'm not comfortable with getting a tubal. So, I worry about dealing with negative doctor reactions from that decision. We would have no intentions of having a 5th, but anything is possible, and part of me wants to take the consertive apporach and save that 4th delivery for any "oops" babies. I'm not putting too much weight in the doctor reactions, as I get it every year at my annual (even after switching doctors throughout the years) for using NFP. However, despite wanting another, I can't help but worry about the impact of another c-section.
mom2cse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's different for every person. If your doctor said that you are in the clear on having another one, and you healed up well, I wouldn't worry at all. I have had 4 c-sections and am going to have my 5th in August. I, like you, have healed up really well and my doctor gave me the ok for another after my 4th c-section. The "number" of c-sections shouldn't be the main focus but how your body is/reacts after a c-section. I know of mothers who have only had 2 sections and have so many problems and a really thin uterus that their doctor strongly advised not to have any more. There are others that have had 6 sections and are just fine because they have healed well. But I completely understand about getting mixed messages from different doctors. I completely trust my OB. He's very skilled at his practice and is highly recommended. He has done all of my c-sections and has given me the "green flag" if I wanted to have more children. He takes it on a case-by-case basis after each c-section. But after I had my 4th c-section, many of the doctors at the hospital were shocked that I had 4 c-sections because they don't like anyone having more than 3. And they pressured me into trying to get something done permanently. Their opinions to me don't matter because they were not looking at my body to determine that opinion, but the number of c-sections I've had. Just my
I say if you want another child, then go for it! Children are such a blessing!

Last edited by HeatherDanae; 02-22-2012 at 07:29 AM.
HeatherDanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My SIL has had 5. No issues at all and the doc said she could have more. Dear friend had her doc give her crap during her 5th pregnancy (all C-sec births) and switched doctors to my own doc. He told her everything looked good and he had just delivered a mama with her 8th c-sec, no problems, healthy baby, healthy mom.

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by momomom; 02-22-2012 at 01:28 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
cadamia1
Registered
seller

Thanks for posting, interesting. I was wondering this myself.
cadamia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 5 c-sections and we are TTC baby #6.
Each one has been different. My first who will be 13 this month, was hard. I felt things I shouldn't have and the dr didn't believe me. He thought I was only feeling pressure, it wasn't just that. So they put me out after she was born and I apparently freaked out and tried to get off the table(which is why they put me out) I have no memory of this. #2 was born 2 wks before #1 turned 2. I tried for a vbac but the moron dr(a different one) didn't realize she was sideways and induced labor and I had agonizing back labor. I said never again would I go through labor to end up in surgery. So with #3(#2 was a few mths over 2 yrs), even though he was head down we chose a c-section. This one was harder, I had adhesions and they had to clean things up. I also had a spinal and it caused me to have to spinal headaches for days before they believed me and I had to have a blood patch done where they take blood from your arm and inject it into your spine. HORRIBLE. But it worked. The recovery itself wasn't bad.
#4 was when #3 was 4 and it went well. Baby had issues but not due to surgery. I leaked fluid and he was very small. I was highly stressed from the beginning and it was a hard emotional pg.
#5 was when #4 was about 2 1/2. It was actually my best surgery ever. Although I was in a lot of pain immediately afterwards. I felt pretty good for the first 2 wks after, dh did baby me and I stayed in bed almost always. After that he went back to work and I started having horrible pains in my stomach. The dr thought it could be scar tissue. It was so bad I couldn't walk through the house. My inlaws helped me a lot then.
So my children are now 12(13 March 22), 10(11 this friday!), 8, 4, & 2. And we are TTC our final child. I would have lots more but I know I can't keep putting my body through this. My stomach is a mess already. I do worry about the risks of having another but I know they aren't really high. I amhealthier than I have ever been so that keeps me positive.
My last dr was fine with us having another. He has left my town though so I will have to have another, I hope they don't lecture me or try to make me feel bad
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
armywife70
Registered Users

My Mood:

This will be our 5th c/s. We take it a baby at a time, but so far Dr's have cleared us each time! Our last Dr did tell us she wanted us to wait 18 months before TTC again, and that she thought we could have at least 2-3 more babies! ( I her!) I have had no problems with anything afterwards....As every one said though, each one is different. I have had complications, but they were due to the anesthesiologist NOT the dr doing the surgery.

I know 2 women on a forum I am part of for moms with many children and they have both had 9 c/s with no complications!! ( I think one of them just had #10!)
Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife70 View Post
This will be our 5th c/s. We take it a baby at a time, but so far Dr's have cleared us each time! Our last Dr did tell us she wanted us to wait 18 months before TTC again, and that she thought we could have at least 2-3 more babies! ( I her!) I have had no problems with anything afterwards....As every one said though, each one is different. I have had complications, but they were due to the anesthesiologist NOT the dr doing the surgery.

I know 2 women on a forum I am part of for moms with many children and they have both had 9 c/s with no complications!! ( I think one of them just had #10!)
This is such a wonderful thing to hear! So often I hear so many worry or make others worry about the risks when I truly believe the risks aren't as bad as they are made to seem. My last dr told me that after a 3rd c-section the risk of uterine rupture increases but it only increases to 3%, he was not worried at all and I specifically asked him after my surgery what he thought about another, he said there was no reason why I couldn't. I will stop at 6 though if we are lucky enough to conceive again but that is only due to my dh's wishes. I would have a dozen if I could
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote