View Poll Results: Do you prefer a male or female OB?
Male 13 8.23%
Female 84 53.16%
Doesn't matter as long as I feel comfortable with him/her 59 37.34%
Other 2 1.27%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I always went with a female but for my next pregnancy my only options are male as the females in my area do not support vbac and I would be trying for one next time. I've heard great things about male OBs and the idea doesn't bother me anymore. I would so much rather have a midwife but there aren't any of them locally either. I have heard that there is a male midwife in Pittsburgh?

Advertisement

tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Male. Bad expierences with women. So I stick with my male ob. Love him.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB?

Males here, too, although that is a semi recent discovery and it is based solely on my bad luck of bad female OBs before. I went to three different women over the years with the same complaints. They weren't thorough in their exams and the symptoms kept returning. I switched Obs and bam! Correct diagnosis. And now, because of him, I got pregnant. I'll never go to another female again.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I alway feel like male docs are more gentle "down there" so I always pick male during pregnancy . That being said for my primary care doc I always pick a woman because I don't feel I have to explain womanly things that o on with my body as much.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
bluedagger
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really don't care. I've had both. Like op said as long as I'm comfortable with them that is all that matters. Paps are usually done by my primary care doc so it's whoever I have at the time-- being under military care I don't usually see the same person... I know male OBs(or whoever is doing an internal) make my hubby uncomfortable and he's been known to take off work so he can go to the doc with me. It really freaks him out to have another guy touch me like that. (This might sound like jealously issues but it's so much more then that...)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Going to a male Gyno/ OB is like going to a mechanic that's never owned a car.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
Elikah
Registered Users
seller

I go to a group for my prenatal care...so I see both. And so far it seems like their personalities matter much more than the sex. Like some of the males and some of the females. I won't know who will be there on delivery day. I am okay with it now...but wonder how I'll feel when the reality of birthing sets in. I'm due in march...so should be soon!
Elikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #18
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

midwife, male or female.
OB, in the past, all my OBs have been male, not on purpose, but that's how it was and it was fine
Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've seen both over the years and while my male OB was super nice, I think I prefer a woman. The male OB I saw with my 3rd pregnancy (my Dr was out on medical leave) was a total idiot and told me if I ended up with PreE he would dye his hair blue. After almost dying from PP cardio myopathy and at the time what they thought was atypical eclampsia I was a bit irritated. I did have a few symptoms of preE during pregnancy and when I asked he totally dismissed my concerns and look what happened.
While in the hospital in preterm labor I remember one male dr in particular with very big hands that really hurt during an exam but have had a woman dr give a rough exam as well... I don't think anything is really 100% gender based.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I originally thought I would only want a female. And for my first DS I had a midwife that was wonderful. Unfortunately she retired, but I stayed with the practice anyway and in the choice between male and female at this point I choose the male. He is much nicer etc. Also my DH is very involved in our kids and even went to all prenatal appointments for both boys at this point. The female didn't acknowledge DH's existence while the male did a lot of talking to him which was also important to me. So when it is time for #3 I hope he's the one we deal with.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote