View Poll Results: Do you prefer a male or female OB?
Male 13 8.23%
Female 84 53.16%
Doesn't matter as long as I feel comfortable with him/her 59 37.34%
Other 2 1.27%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #51
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Meh, if you've ever had a hospital birth then dozens of random hands found their way inside yer cooter. Even more if you go to a teaching hospital. Once you've gone through that, it don't really matter anymore who sees that. My only requirement is that they offer a warmed up eyelash curler cooter opener.
Yes!

Sometimes I hate women obgyn's. Some tend to compare their experience with yours, so they think they know what your cramps feel like or what your contractions feel like or what your pregnancy feels like (all based on theirs). Well, if you're lucky you'll get an obgyn who has had the worst of all of these, which would make her very sympathetic to your situation. But I've had some who have never experienced cramping or morning sickness, so they just kind of blow you off or think you're being a baby. But male obgyn's, IME, have no idea what it's like and they don't act as though they will ever understand what's its like. So it makes some male obgyn's more open to your experience, and not their idea of what your experience is.

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #52
love being a momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 3 OBs: a man, changed to a woman, & am now with another male OB. You have to be comfortable with that person...my OB now is the most compassionate one I have had. He is wonderful!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #53
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Female only. I have had two hospital births and I did not have lots of doctors all up in my business. I had ONE, the on call dr from my OB/GYN office, so I knew her. Same with my first pregnancy. My female FP delivered and she was the only one that checked me, besides my ONE nurse. At the hospital I deliver at, one have one nurse that tends to you for 12-24hrs. You have the same 2-3 nurses the entire time. There is one male doctor in the rotation and I prayed like crazy that he would not be on call when I came in. I generally dislike male doctors. The ER doctor I saw right after DS was born was an A$$ of epic proportions and the nurse wasn't much better. I love, love, love my female OB. I never even feel it when I get a pap.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #54
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've had both males and females as obs. I prefer females myself.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #55
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My last two I had male obs. This time I have a midwife. It didn't bother me having a male ob.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #56
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I rather have a female midwife I like the feminine energy in birthing rooms, it's also nice to have a women that has given birth. I'm not sure how I would feel when it come to choosing an OB for birth. I tend to not be fond of doctors overall, but some of my best experiences with doctors (even gynocologists) have been male.

ETA: I'm surprised to see how many people choose a certain sex merely based on the fact of which would be seeing their vagina. I wouldn't care if a male or female OB/GYN saw my vagina - there is a lot more to birth than "who is down there."

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 01-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #57
MyLovely
Registered Users

I personally think that a hot male midwife would be the way to go, that way, there's eye candy

Example, from Private Practice

In all seriousness, I forgot to multi-quote it, but it has also entered my mind that my female doctors judge my parts. It's ridiculous, but I have thought it
Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #58
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My situation is a little different. I was sexually assaulted once by a lesbian. I was able to fight her off me, but it was a very traumatic experience. I've also been groped unwillingly on several occasions. I don't know if it something about myself, or the people who live in that area, but I find gay women extremely assertive, and down right scarey. So I've never had the desire to see a women Dr. of any sort. I always have a hard time dealing with the female nurses. I've had to change doctors before because I didn't like his nurses. I hate going to the hospital because of the nurses. Of course, there's always some good ones who are nice & I really like. But then there are the mean nasty ones who seam harsh & hateful.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #59
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
I personally think that a hot male midwife would be the way to go, that way, there's eye candy

Example, from Private Practice

In all seriousness, I forgot to multi-quote it, but it has also entered my mind that my female doctors judge my parts. It's ridiculous, but I have thought it
That's too funny, but that would make me giddy & nervous Have you ever watched Up All Night? The birth episode cracked me up! She said something like "I don't want Dr. McDreamy all up in my buisness when things get real!"
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #60
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
In my experience, males have been more gentle with vaginal exams. Every woman I've ever had has been more rough than necessary.