Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
momofsoon2b4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Considering Breastfeeding...advice please :)

I am pregnant with my 6th and final baby. I have never breastfed any of my children, though I considered it with my last but he came premature and I was no where near prepared when he came. I am due at the end of February and would like to start preparing because it looks as though this little one will be premature as well since she has tried to come several times already.

To be honest I have never been a boob person that is why I have never tried before, though I am trying to change that and also trying to steer clear of formula since we are now eating and living more organically.

My questions are:

What kind of supplies do I need?

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder?

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious.

Any advice would be great...I am CLUELESS when it comes to this.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for reading this and any help you provide.

Advertisement

Farm Fresh Creations: use code "AmandaFriend" to save 10% off your order! http://www.etsy.com/shop/JAKRabbitry?ref=ss_profile
momofsoon2b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
BritishBaby
Registered Users
seller

Number 1 thing I can recommend is a good nursing book. I have the womanly art of breastfeeding. It has been a life saver!
BritishBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering Breastfeeding...advice please :)

I'm nursing my #2 now and although I never even considered formula feeding, breastfeeding does not come without challenges. You have to be committed it you want to make it work for the long run. That being said, try not to get to overwhelmed with preparing yourself. It will, for the most part, come natural for you.

I would DEFINITELY get a pump. With 6 kiddos you are probably going to need to let your partner/spouse feed the baby once in a while. Although, most lactation consultants discourage giving a bfed baby the bottle/paci until he/she is at least 4 weeks. This is to establish a good latch and to discourage nipple confusion (between the mommy and the bottle.) I have the Medela Swing. Medela is the best brand imo. You can buy them used for pretty cheap and buy replacement parts if you want/need to. Definitely buy an electric pump. The manual ones just suck! lol! I use my pump EVERY DAY!! It is by far the best shower gift I recieved!! They're nice too for when your boobs get really full in the early weeks

I do nurse in public once in a while, but I'm just more comfortable nursing without a cover in private. A lot of bfeeding moms NIP, but you'll figure out what works for you. "Hooter Hiders" makes a nice cover, or you can find one in almost every baby department anywhere ie Target, Walmart, Costco, Babysrus, etc. These are nice because they have a strip of wire on the neck/chest that is curved so you can see the baby while he/she is nursing. And they have a strap around the neck to keep them from falling off, like a blanket might.

You also need Lanolin. This is to help with cracked, sore nipples. Lansinoh is the best brand. You will be ubber sore for the first few weeks, and just about the time you think that you can't tolerate it any more, it starts to get better. Lanolin is safe for the baby. You don't have to wipe/wash it off before nursing. Use it after each feeding. U can also buy cooling gel pads to help soothe sore nipples.

You will need breast pads. 2 pairs of wool ones would be good, or several bamboo/cotton, or Lansinoh also makes some thin disposible ones. And it is true....when your newborn cries, your milk will let down. Anyway, you probably know some of this, already.

Lastly, find a good La Leche League in your area before the baby arrives. Maybe you can even go to one of their meetings before hand. They will give you support and encouragement when the time comes. You will probably need it They can help you with the latch too.

It may seem like a lot now, but really it is quite simple. Good luck and just determine in yourself that you're gonna do it. Although, if it doesn't work out, don't beat yourself up. Any amount of breast milk you can give your baby is great!!
e_roehm23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Maybe nursing bra or two (but don't buy anything too structured until about two weeks post partum, because your size will keep changing until then), some lanolin or other nipple cream, and some breast pads (cloth or disposable).

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.
No, you really only need a pump if you will be away from your baby a lot for long-ish periods. A manual pump is good enough for occasional pumping, and you can also learn to hand express.

Read, read, read all you can about it (there are lots of good books mentioned in one of the stickies in this forum); get help and advice from LLL and/or a qualified lactation consultant, like an IBCLC. You may get bad advice, so watch out for that.

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.
You might not need special bras--some women don't even like them and use a regular bra just by pulling the cup up or down. I like nursing bras, but I don't like nursing shirts--I think they're weird and ugly. You can certainly nurse successfully without nursing shirts and bras.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious.
I have never had anyone say anything about my nursing in public, ever, and I have nursed on planes, in restaurants, at church, in stores, in parks, at work meetings, etc. I don't use a cover, but many of my friends do, and they get really good at using it comfortably. I just wear a tank top under my shirts and I pull the top of the tank down and my shirt up so that only a tiny bit of breast is exposed. My back and belly stay covered that way, too, which I really like.
Also, preemies and babies born very near term (like 36 or even 37 weeks) can have a harder time learning to breastfeed, so you might need to work with her a little bit more to get her to latch, etc. Be sure to get good help with this if she is preterm!
Good luck, mama! There's nothing more organic than breastmilk, for sure!!

Last edited by VeganCupcake; 01-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
momofsoon2b4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow that was a LOT of information. A lot more than I thought of.

This is probably a dumb questions but what are the breast pads used for? Are these for wearing inside your bra to prevent leakage? Like I said I am clueless as I have never been interested in it before enough to research it.

The info you provided was great, so thank you very much.

Farm Fresh Creations: use code "AmandaFriend" to save 10% off your order! http://www.etsy.com/shop/JAKRabbitry?ref=ss_profile
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Technically nothing, but things that come in handy are lansinoh and breast pads, although some people, like me, never need those.

If you are BF only and don't plan to leave the baby, then a pump isn't necessary. aving a small handheld one could be useful JIC.

Be patient with yourself and the baby. You're both learning. And get advice when having problems/issues.

I've never owned a breastfeeding shirt except for tanks. I like to wear those. I do recommend nursing bras b/c they make nursing easier than with a reg bra.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do.

I bf in public all the time. Whether or not you use a cover is a preference between you and baby. Nobody elses opinion matters
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsoon2b4 View Post
Wow that was a LOT of information. A lot more than I thought of.

This is probably a dumb questions but what are the breast pads used for? Are these for wearing inside your bra to prevent leakage? Like I said I am clueless as I have never been interested in it before enough to research it.

The info you provided was great, so thank you very much.
Yes, breastpads catch leakage so your shirt doesn't get soaked. You may need them for 2 weeks, or you may need them for a year. It just depends on how much/how frequently you leak. With my DD, I leaked her entire first year. With my DS, I stopped leaking when he was a few weeks old.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
momofsoon2b4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Vegan

Thanks for the information, this was also great information. OMGoodess here on the news and online I have heard a TON of out rage against breast feeding in public. They actually started a "milk truck" in protest in our area to support breast feeding mamas.

But Target had an issue in Texas recently, the Nascar Driver Kasey Khane made comments about it recently, and because of the Target incident our local "milk truck" gathered 6 mamas and took them to a local Target store here and breast fed together in protest and support.

I can post the articles for anyone who would like to read them. Very interesting, and I absolutely LOVE the milk truck...it is great!

It does sound a little challenging, so I am a little worried about it all especially since it looks like she will be preterm, my son came at 35 weeks and this little girl tried coming at 30 weeks, again at 31 weeks, and I just had the roto-virus and now I am starting to have contractions, my stomach is hard as a rock, and the pressure and pain are building up big time again at 33 weeks.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am pregnant with my 6th and final baby. I have never breastfed any of my children, though I considered it with my last but he came premature and I was no where near prepared when he came. I am due at the end of February and would like to start preparing because it looks as though this little one will be premature as well since she has tried to come several times already.

To be honest I have never been a boob person that is why I have never tried before, though I am trying to change that and also trying to steer clear of formula since we are now eating and living more organically. Congrats on your new little one and considering breastfeeding! If you are expecting another premature baby I suggest talking with an IBCLC soon. Depending how early, they have their own special needs. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, as I happen to be one Your milk is the perfect food for your baby. It's free! It's ALL NATURAL. It has life-long health benefits for BOTH of you! It's incredibly convenient. You won't have to deal with bottles and formula.

My questions are:

What kind of supplies do I need? Breasts...seriously, that's it.

Do I really need a pump? Not for a healthy full term baby. If you have difficulties with a premature baby, insurance should cover a hospital grade pump. If you really NEED to be pumping, check with and IBCLC to be sure the one you have access to is adequate for your needs. I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder? Be determined. Know that the first week or two can be difficult but it is almost always smooth sailing after that. Ask for help early and often. The nurses on a maternity ward have seen it all. Don't wait until it takes heroic efforts to save your breastfeeding relationship.

Do I need special bras and tops? Not really, but it's more comfortable to have a nursing bra especially if you are rather well endowed . Just avoid underwires in the beginning because they can cause plugged ducts. I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious. YES!!!! I NIP because my baby is hungry NOW and he doesn't understand someone else is a prude. I NIP because it's NORMAL to BF babies. I NIP to set an example for my children and others who may not be exposed to it. Mostly I NIP to give other mama's like you the courage to do it yourself. You don't need to be naked to the waist to breastfeed. Covers are fine for the first couple weeks and then babies tend to fight them off. You really shouldn't be out with such a little one anyway so don't waste your money. A burp cloth or blanket will do the job just fine. You will learn to do it discretely in no time. And if you are really nervous, just plop yourself in front of Victoria's Secret. No one will notice you

Any advice would be great...I am CLUELESS when it comes to this.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for reading this and any help you provide.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBaby
Number 1 thing I can recommend is a good nursing book. I have the womanly art of breastfeeding. It has been a life saver!
Ditto this! And find someone in your life you can call with questions even if its an LC. Start going to le leche meetings now.

Yay for wanting to nurse this baby! Remember, any breastmilk is best but I'd like to challenge you to make it to 6 months! The first 3 are the hardest but by 4 months baby will be a pro and it becomes the best experience ever!

Sent from my bed or on the move.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote