Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering Breastfeeding...advice please :)

I may get into trouble for this but I always tell new BFmoms to expect sore nipples. I remember being told if I was "doing it right" it wouldn't hurt. Um yeah, well with all 5 dc it hurt. I had a lc make sure of my positioning for the first 2 because I always hurt. It's not necessarily terrible but it can sometimes be one of those things that frustrates and defeats new nursers. Growth spurts will make you question your milk and your ability to breastfeed. These are when your baby is tayloring your supply for them and it can be a 24 hour deal! Most importantly, know that your milk is GOOD! Designed perfectly for your baby. Be confident and seek supporters of your decision for when that well meaning "friend" says something unsupportive. I loved the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding a great piece of advice from PP! Be committed but also be forgiving with yourself as it can get frustrating. BUT there is NOTHING like looking down to your LO falling asleep at your breast and the look of peace you see. There is nothing like knowing those chubby little thighs came from your body, and it is worth ALL the hiccups! Good luck and prayers that your LO gives you both more time to get ready.

Advertisement

Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 1st piece of advice: stay positive. It makes breastfeeding so much easier when u r in a positive state of mind.
Also ask for help in the hospital from the lc..ask tons of questions and pick their brains
I recommend getting nursing bras and maybe a nursing tank if u like them. They make it easy to bf.
Nursing pads r great to prevent leaking onto ur clothes.
Lanolin helps cracked and sore nipples and to help protect them in the shower.
I also use a nursing pillow such as a boppy or breast friend..its not required but may make it easier on u
My son had trouble latching so I also used a nipple shield to help him learn to latch..again not required but may help u out
Nip- I do nip but I always have a cover on only cuz thats how I feel comfortable and can relax easier
Last, try to relax when breastfeeding cuz it helps ur let down.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
dren09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm probably the last person to give advice because at the moment I'm struggling soooo much with Bf'ing. I honestly never thought I wanted to BF until I had my daughter and everything changed. I mean I was willing to give it a go but thought it would be no big deal if we had to switch to formula since my DS was formula fed (we adopted so we had no choice). Then I had her and the hormones kicked in and I made it my mission to BF.
First, it doesn't come naturally for everyone (like me) nor does it come naturally for all babies. My DD and I have struggled with latch issues, extremely sore nipples and pure exhaustion. I spent a few days with her pretty much attached to me constantly in an attempt to pacify her and feed her. By the end of the day I would be in near tears. What I HAVE found to be helpful is pumping. I've resolved the fact that we may never work out to exclusively nursing but she at least is getting my milk. Pumping seems to be working for us better but today I have succeeded at more nursing sessions than the last week so I do have a little restored hope. Basically know that whatever you decide is what is right for you. I hope my post doesn't scare you off because honestly it could be very easy/natural for you! Good luck!!
dren09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hooray! I wish you the best of luck! All the PP's have great advice, so here's my 2 cents...

-- Take your pediatrician's advice concerning breastfeeding and supplementation with a grain of salt. Most peds are not trained in lactation consultation and can give some very bad breastfeeding advice. It is VERY important that you educate yourself! Read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and go to LLL meetings now before baby is born!

-- Don't be afraid to call an LLL leader if you have problems or even just questions in the beginning. When they volunteer to become Leaders, they expect to help out mamas in need. Remember, they want you to succeed!

-- It's not necessary to own a pump if you plan on being with your baby almost 24/7, although it's nice to have a hand pump for the occasional night out.

-- Some people may try to tell you to schedule feedings, like only feed every three hours. That is a very good way to destroy your milk supply! Just feed whenever baby is hungry (when my DS was very little, it was easy to tell because pretty much anytime he cried, it meant he was hungry). Expect to have times when baby is basically attached to the boob 24/7, especially during growth spurts.

-- About NIP: I've nursed DS in public zillions of times in many different places, and have never had a comment or dirty look. Someone did give me a huge thumbs-up once, which was pretty cool. There really is no right or wrong way to do it, so go with whatever makes you comfortable-- covered, uncovered, at a restaurant table, on the floor of Target. You have legal rights to feed your baby anywhere!

-- I love nursing tanks! Layer a shirt on top, and you are all set for full-coverage nursing. As DS aged, I discovered that I actually just prefer regular bras. The nursing bra I had peeked up out of all my shirts, and that was super annoying.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

Breastfeeding was hard for us, but worth it. Some of the things that helped the most:

-A lactation consultant, I wish I would have seen one sooner, and I wish I had taken a breastfeeding class from a consultant before my baby was born.
-The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- Nursing tanks (I just got the Bestform ones from Walmart)
- Breastfeeding Success hypnosis track from Hypnobabies
-La Leche League
- family support

Good luck, mama!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lots of other mamas have answered your specific questions, so I'll just throw in two cents in general. First, if you have access to one, take a breastfeed perinatal education class through your hospital. I had always naively assumed breastfeeding would be easy because it's natural. Just like being a parent, natural it may be, easy it isn't necessarily. Second, don't get frustrated too easily, it's a learning process for both you and your baby. And third, find the contact information for lactation consultants and/or LLL help before baby is born, you don't want to have to find it if/when you need it. Best of luck!
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kind of supplies do I need?
Defiantly breast pads. I've had no luck with washable ones, so I prefer disposables. You leak A LOT (or at least I did) in the early days and weeks. I've only been breastfeeding for 4 weeks, and I still need to use pads. Lansinoh, to help with nipple soreness -this has been a lifesaver for me and without it I probably would have stopped at day 2.

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.
I can't really answer this one too well. I have one but have only used it once. Honestly, with a 17 month old and a newborn I couldn't imagine having to go warm up a bottle for DD...or even finding time to pump. But thats just me.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder?
Get lots and lots of help from the nursery nurses. They helped me tons teaching me how to hold her, how to get a proper latch. Try to avoid having any formula around and know that it gets easier.

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.
I have 2 nursing bras and a nursing tank. I find it easiest (especially in public) to wear a nursing tank under my regular shirt. It helps keep me covered.

lso I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious.
I NIP. It took me a while to get used to it, I normally just use a blanket or something to cover up with since DD needs help getting latched and I don't want to flash everyone :P Unless we are in the middle of dinner, I usually just go sit in my car.

Good luck mama! Also, the mamas on here are really sweet and have helped me a ton.
How rearfacing saved my sons life
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
marylexilove66
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first three months are the hardest..then you will grow to love it. Definately get Lanolin and breast pads they are life savers and I would def get a nursing bra..I got some of of walmart online and some at target store!
marylexilove66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
TalieUp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80
Lots of other mamas have answered your specific questions, so I'll just throw in two cents in general. First, if you have access to one, take a breastfeed perinatal education class through your hospital. I had always naively assumed breastfeeding would be easy because it's natural. Just like being a parent, natural it may be, easy it isn't necessarily. Second, don't get frustrated too easily, it's a learning process for both you and your baby. And third, find the contact information for lactation consultants and/or LLL help before baby is born, you don't want to have to find it if/when you need it. Best of luck!
^^^^This! I took a class and it was soooo helpful! You have some VERY good advice so far! Like others have said, be determined...it is hard the first few months but worth it. Also, my hospital offered a breastfeeding support group that I was able to go to once a week. The lactation consultant helped me with any latch issues and any questions...plus it really helped being around other mamas going through the same thing!

Although all you really need are boobs, I found it very helpful to have nursing tanks, bamboobies breast pads (my fave) and lanolin.

Congratulations and best of luck with your newbie!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

You have gotten great great input so not much I can add!

The top things I recommend are, start connecting with your local LLL [La Leche League now].

Here's the link to PA LLL groups. If you don't have one really near you, you can still pick the "closest" one and call the leaders. It is always free!

http://www.llli.org/web/pennsylvania.html

Also, from the get go in the hospital [not sure if your birthing in a hospital], if you are, be very firm about not bottles/formula/pacifiers/sugar water. If something arises where baby is having a tough time you can request an SNS [supplemental nursing system] or the baby can be syringed fed.

Start contacting the LLL now, go to some meetings before baby is born, express your concerns. They will be a huge source of help!

I didn't BF'ed my first because I wasn't prepared or educated on it. Thankfully I was bound and determined with #2, hooked up with my local LLL and I DID have difficulty in the beginning, I used an SNS for several months myself. But I overcame and went on to nurse him for 3 years until he self weaned back in September!
http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote