Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #21
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering Breastfeeding...advice please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
I am pregnant with my 6th and final baby. I have never breastfed any of my children, though I considered it with my last but he came premature and I was no where near prepared when he came. I am due at the end of February and would like to start preparing because it looks as though this little one will be premature as well since she has tried to come several times already.

To be honest I have never been a boob person that is why I have never tried before, though I am trying to change that and also trying to steer clear of formula since we are now eating and living more organically. Congrats on your new little one and considering breastfeeding! If you are expecting another premature baby I suggest talking with an IBCLC soon. Depending how early, they have their own special needs. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, as I happen to be one Your milk is the perfect food for your baby. It's free! It's ALL NATURAL. It has life-long health benefits for BOTH of you! It's incredibly convenient. You won't have to deal with bottles and formula.

My questions are:

What kind of supplies do I need? Breasts...seriously, that's it.

Do I really need a pump? Not for a healthy full term baby. If you have difficulties with a premature baby, insurance should cover a hospital grade pump. If you really NEED to be pumping, check with and IBCLC to be sure the one you have access to is adequate for your needs. I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder? Be determined. Know that the first week or two can be difficult but it is almost always smooth sailing after that. Ask for help early and often. The nurses on a maternity ward have seen it all. Don't wait until it takes heroic efforts to save your breastfeeding relationship.

Do I need special bras and tops? Not really, but it's more comfortable to have a nursing bra especially if you are rather well endowed . Just avoid underwires in the beginning because they can cause plugged ducts. I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious. YES!!!! I NIP because my baby is hungry NOW and he doesn't understand someone else is a prude. I NIP because it's NORMAL to BF babies. I NIP to set an example for my children and others who may not be exposed to it. Mostly I NIP to give other mama's like you the courage to do it yourself. You don't need to be naked to the waist to breastfeed. Covers are fine for the first couple weeks and then babies tend to fight them off. You really shouldn't be out with such a little one anyway so don't waste your money. A burp cloth or blanket will do the job just fine. You will learn to do it discretely in no time. And if you are really nervous, just plop yourself in front of Victoria's Secret. No one will notice you

Any advice would be great...I am CLUELESS when it comes to this.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for reading this and any help you provide.
From a LLL Leader

Advertisement

tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:

I'd hold off getting a pump until you know if you'll need it. I spent 400 on a pump and only used it once. You can rent them from pharmacies to see if you'll need one or not.

As for supplies? Your boobs, a great support group and patience!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
cmd0209
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsoon2b4 View Post
I am pregnant with my 6th and final baby. I have never breastfed any of my children, though I considered it with my last but he came premature and I was no where near prepared when he came. I am due at the end of February and would like to start preparing because it looks as though this little one will be premature as well since she has tried to come several times already.

To be honest I have never been a boob person that is why I have never tried before, though I am trying to change that and also trying to steer clear of formula since we are now eating and living more organically.

My questions are:

What kind of supplies do I need? - I would recommend reusable breast pads. They are great to keep leaks from leaking through onto your clothing. I don't have a specific brand that I recommend yet as I am looking into them myself. When I breastfed my son I used Gerber reusable pads, but I didn't like them as they weren't absorbent enough. You will also need a few good nursing bras. There are tons of places where you can buy them nowadays and they all vary in price. Finally, like others have suggested, I recommend a good breastfeeding guide book. The one that I personally used is "Great Expectations: The Essential Guide to Breastfeeding. I loved it!

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity. - If you plan on having your baby with you at all times or know you won't be away from her for longer than an hour or so, then no. I registered for a pump, but honestly I used it maybe twice the entire year that I breastfed my son. As a stay at home mom, I just found that it was easier to feed him straight from the tap. If you work outside of the home though, then you will definitely want to get one.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder? It is not easy at the beginning, especially if this is your first time breastfeeding. I was a nervous wreck for the first month at least because I never knew if my son was getting enough. It DOES get a lot easier with time. Also, your nipples will be a sore and tender early on, that WILL go away with time. It sucks (literally!) during the sore phase, but I promise, it DOES get better

Also, be sure to get a consultation with a lactation consultant while you are still in the hospital with your LO. They have great information and were really helpful! I even had to call them a few times after we went home to ask questions and they were always happy to help!

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it. I never bothered with nursing tops as I found regular shirts worked just as well, but I do highly recommend nursing bras, they will make your life MUCH easier. You can find them pretty much at any clothing store nowadays. I personally really like Motherhood Maternity's nursing sports bras, they are very comfortable!

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious. I nursed in public several times (some with a cover and some without) and never had an issue.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for reading this and any help you provide.
I answered all of your questions within the quoted message. Good luck to you! I was a nervous wreck with it with my son in the beginning, but now that he is weaned I genuinely miss it. I can't wait for our new little one to be born so that I can nurse again!

Last edited by cmd0209; 01-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
cmd0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

In addition to all the great advice from the other mamas, I wanted to add my experience with bras: I was never certain what size would be appropriate for when my milk came in, so I held off buying nursing bras and I am SO glad! I've worn a sports bra day and night since I gave birth. I was a 34c before baby and find they offer perfect support, and the elasticity allows for easy nursing. I just have cheapies from WalMart.
CAaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
bea2269
Registered Users

You have gotten good advice, and I just wanted to add a couple of things. Ignore criticism from family and friends. I was told for 2 months that I was starving my son. He is perfectly healthy and chubby. The fact is that most people don't understand bf, because they never did it. Be prepared in the beginning to feel like a Jersey milk cow. I spent so long with my ladies hanging out in the beginning. It is normal. Breast milk digests quickly, and bf babes eat more often. Get anything you think you'll need to be comfortable next to your nursing chair. Drinks, snacks, phone, and a remote. The first few weeks are trying, but it gets easier. I went back to work at 3 months pp, so I got a double electric pump. I love it, but if you aren't going to be away that long, you may not need one. I don't think anyone mentioned this, but bookmark kellymom.com. It is a wonderful site. Good luck momma! ETA Keep check on your posture while nursing. Don't lower to babe. Bring your lo up to you. I would invest in a nursing stool if you stick with it. It will save you a world of back and neck soreness.

Last edited by bea2269; 01-08-2012 at 07:32 PM.
bea2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=momofsoon2b4;14408844]I am pregnant with my 6th and final baby. I have never breastfed any of my children, though I considered it with my last but he came premature and I was no where near prepared when he came. I am due at the end of February and would like to start preparing because it looks as though this little one will be premature as well since she has tried to come several times already.

To be honest I have never been a boob person that is why I have never tried before, though I am trying to change that and also trying to steer clear of formula since we are now eating and living more organically.

My questions are:

What kind of supplies do I need?

Name and number of a lactation consultant and local LLL leader. Other than that, just a set of boobs. Really. Don't waste your money on anything else until you realize you really want it. I have a boppy that was never used, breast pads that were never used, several bras that were never used, etc. If you do find you would like something, like breast pads if you leak, you can always improvise (cut up a cloth diaper or something) until you can get to the store to buy some.

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.

Nope. This is another thing you can pick up when you need it. I did use mine to pump a bit in the early days when I was engorged, but I could have self expressed as well. Honestly I just kind of wanted to try out the pump

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder?

It's probably going to suck at first. Your nipples will be sore. Hold out for 6 weeks and I promise it will get better. One day you'll find yourself nursing your baby while talking on the phone and cooking dinner, and you'll think back to the early days when you had to be half naked in a completely silent room with 27 pillows meticulously arranged in order to get a good latch Keep formula completely out of the house. If it's not there, you won't be tempted when you're *certain* your baby is crying only because there's something wrong with you (there's not--only a VERY small percentage of mamas are truly unable to produce enough. Call a lactation consultant or LLL leader if you're having trouble!)

Also, other BFing mamas and the LCs and LLL leaders WANT to HELP!!! Please call someone if you're having problems. I know I would drop anything to help a new mama who was having difficulty BFing. I know how hard it can be at first but how awesome it is when you stick with it, so I would be there in a second to help out

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.

Bras--maybe. The only ones I use are sleep bras because I get plugged ducts very easily. Most of the time I go bra-less, but I'm small chested so I can get away with this. Tops--No. I bought several nursing tops but I nurse in everything. I just lift my shirt up. Baby covers up my tummy. Some of the nursing tops have kind of awkward "entry" areas, like having to separate layers of fabric to get to the boob. I find it way easier to just lift my shirt up.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious.

I used a nursing cover at first, but ditched it after the first month or so. The cover drew way more attention than when I'm nursing without it. I may have briefly flashed some nipple to a stranger here and there, but whatever. I found that a lot of my modesty went out the window when I started BFing!

Breastfeeding is AWESOME. The first few weeks are definitely rough, don't get me wrong. But once you hit your stride, you'll be so happy you decided to go that route!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2 big things that were mentioned but I wanted to reiterate:

No bottles or pacifiers until you and baby are good at it!! If baby's premature and in the NICU, ask about nursing once a day, and definitely pump (every 3 hours at least) so that you get a good supply going.

Breastfed babies eat less milk more often than formula fed babies. Formula curdles & sits in the stomach, where breastmilk is digested almost immediately. It is not uncommon to feed your newborn, put them down, and 20 minutes later they want to eat again. This is because they're digesting so fast and growing so fast, they need to tell your body to make more and more and more. Don't try to schedule early on, and don't fret - baby will get the hang of it, your supply will even out, and eventually drink you dry in 5 minutes and not need to eat for another 90
When babies get older, your milk will change to provide for them. A breastfed baby will consume 1-1.5oz of milk per hour, and this does not change as they get older. You may be used to eventually putting 8oz of formula in a bottle and baby downing the entire thing, but 8oz of breastmilk is severely overfeeding baby at any age!
This is where the myth that baby is not getting enough to eat comes from, they just don't need as much because they can digest and use everything!!! Oh, and tied to that, many breastfed babies skip days pooping, up to 10 days is normal and not considered constipation - they are just using everything that they're eating (there is no waste, it is all good for them ).

Good luck mama!!!

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
momofsoon2b4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow you mama's have been AWESOME THANK YOU

After talking to my husband we have decided to give it a go. I am making some calls tomorrow to start preparing. I looked up the LLL and there is a local group not far from me who meets once a month and there is an email for a lady there as well if I need advice or support.

I have one nursing tank and I did order some mama made nursing pads (if all else fails they make great coasters LOL) but other than that I am only going to get a couple cheap things to start me off and build up from there. Just want to make sure its going to work for us. My insurance covers a great pump from what they tell me so I will be able to get that as well.

Thank you again. I may be back with more questions as the time gets closer. Thanks for you input and support, its nice to know there are so many BFing mama's out there. I only know one around me who does it.

Farm Fresh Creations: use code "AmandaFriend" to save 10% off your order! http://www.etsy.com/shop/JAKRabbitry?ref=ss_profile
momofsoon2b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just realized most of your children will still be really young when your baby comes. Do you have help to care for them in the early weeks? You will probably need some extra caregiver help while you get used to bf'ing. Once your babe is 2-6 weeks old you will probably be able to nurse cradling the babe in one arm while unloading the dishwasher with the other hand and so on, but until then some extra help so that you can focus on the baby will really help you succeed. Breastfeeding is natural but it is a skill that both you AND the babe need to learn.
The first 6 weeks are the hardest, but once breastfeeding is established it becomes sooooo easy! (At least most of the time!). The benefits of saving money and time for yourself (no bottle washing! no packing up bottles before leaving the house!) are awesome alone, not to mention the health benefits for both yourself and your baby.
Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that you don't need a pump or many supplies for breastfeeding, especially if you will be with the baby most or all of the time.

Nursing tanks can be great, but really layering is the most helpful thing that I started doing. I never used a cover in public, but most people had no idea when I was nursing her because I would lift the top layer and lower the bottom layer...so stayed mostly covered without issues. Breastfeeding is actually really simple, as far as "accessories" go. You just need a breast and a baby, lol!

Others have had great advice as far as preemies go- my sister and I were born at 31 weeks- my mom pumped for us and then exclusively breastfed us after we left the hospital, no bottles. It can definitely be done, even with a preemie. I would definitely try not to introduce a bottle before breastfeeding. Tube, syringe, or finger feeding can all be used, but introducing a bottle before the breast can make breastfeeding a LOT more difficult for both of you. A lactaction consultant would obviously know more about that stuff, but I know that personally I've seen several moms give up on breastfeeding mainly because they introduced supplementation wit ha bottle too early, and the baby didn't want to nurse any more because it just takes more work for them.