Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #31
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering Breastfeeding...advice please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsoon2b4 View Post
I am pregnant with my 6th and final baby. I have never breastfed any of my children, though I considered it with my last but he came premature and I was no where near prepared when he came. I am due at the end of February and would like to start preparing because it looks as though this little one will be premature as well since she has tried to come several times already.

To be honest I have never been a boob person that is why I have never tried before, though I am trying to change that and also trying to steer clear of formula since we are now eating and living more organically.

My questions are:

What kind of supplies do I need?
If you're expected a preemie, you need to come prepared! I would buy a pump, a boppy/nursing pillow, breast pads, nipple cream, nipple sheilds...anything you think might make nursing a little easier. Perhaps even a nursing cover if you don't feel comfortable being exposed.

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.
Again, with a preemie, I think it's an absolute neccessity to have pump. Always offer the breast first, but if the baby is having problems a pump is great to keep up your milk product, feed the baby a bottle if you're too sore to nurse, ect.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder?
Become educated. Read books on breastfeeding, and attend a class and/or a le leche meeting prior to birth. After birth, if you run into ANY problems, get the help you need. The sooner the better.

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.
Some women find it helpful, I myself just wore sports bras and camisoles.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious.
I breatfeed wherever, whenever. It's really a comfort issue though. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't have to, or you can use a cover To each their own.

Any advice would be great...I am CLUELESS when it comes to this.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for reading this and any help you provide.
My son was born early, and breastfeeding was a challenge for us. I noticed a lot of previous posters saying you don't need a pump, ect. but I highly recommend getting one. I think any mama of an early baby will tell you the same thing. I don't think I would have made it breastfeeding if it had not been more my pump. Another thing I wanted to mention, delay the use of bottles/pacis at the least the first month with a preemie. If necessary you can use a bottle, but I'd keep to a last resort kind of thing. Nipple sheilds can be a good tool as well, but again, I wouldn't use one unless you really need to. Good luck mama, breastfeeding can be so hard but it's so rewarding!

Advertisement

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 01-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read through all the responses, so apologies if I'm just echoing everyone else's advice...

My big recommendation is to check out the website www.kellymom.com. It is comprehensive and authoritative -- if it's a breastfeeding question, the site has an answer.

Second bit of advice: Read as much as you can about nursing before your LO is here. Take out as many books from the library and borrow from friends. And read up on the Internet, too.

Third: At some point your LO will be nursing and nursing seemingly nonstop, to the point where you might think you must have a really low supply and your baby is not getting enough milk. No -- most likely your baby is cluster feeding (in other words, feeding like wild because he or she is having a growth spurt). This is such a common misconception -- and such a big reason new BF mothers get discouraged -- that the hospital where I gave birth to my DS actually has a handout for all new mothers that describes cluster feeding. Please read up on this so that you're not surprised when it happens.

Fourth: If you don't use a pump, definitely learn to hand express. Especially during the early engorged days, you will want/need to express an ounce or so for your own comfort and possibly for your LO. When I was engorged and try to feed my DS, he wouldn't be able to latch on easily and sometimes would cry from the forceful let down and flood of milk -- expressing an ounce or two made things much more comfortable for the both of us (and I built up a freezer stash quickly).
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Another recommendation for kellymom.com - I used this site almost daily to look up answers to my questions for all sorts of things regarding breastfeeding. The site information is written by an IBCLC RN and supported by many breastfeeding advocates and experts.

I just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement since you may have a preemie. I had my LO at 36 weeks and he nursed great! Part of the reason was probably due to my labor being un-medicated. Studies have shown that babies who are birthed naturally do better with breastfeeding in those first few days which tends to lead to greater success all around. Since you are living more organically, this might be something you have considered, and I can say that from witnessing lots of births (medicated and un-medicated) that it definitely makes a difference, especially for a preemie.

I was reading through what some people said about how it is so hard the first "x" amount of days/weeks/months, and while that is true for some, it wasn't for us. I *may* not be the norm, but I truly enjoyed breastfeeding right from the start so don't get too anxious about it being "hard" from the beginning. It might be, or it might not be. Don't worry about crossing that bridge till you get there. You won't know how you and baby will do with breastfeeding till baby arrives and you give it a go!

Stay positive, read as much as you can (this will give you confidence in your natural abilities) and be determined. You can do it! And it is such an amazing gift to give your child and yourself.

Best wishes, Mama! Let us know how things are going after your LO arrives (when/if you have a spare moment to get on DS ) We will all be rooting for you!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 01-10-2012 at 09:18 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have a LO that will potentially have a NICU stay, have a breastpump, or make sure you can rent one from your hospital. Baby may not be able to latch on immediately.

And next have the phone number of at least one really good IBCLC handy in case you do run into issues. With DS1, if it had not been for my LC, I would not have made it much past 6 weeks. She truly saved my BFing relationship.

As for NIPing, once I got used to it, I became totally comfortable with it. I just had to get out there and do it. I think going to a BFing support group and nursing in front of all the other mamas there really helped me get over the jitters of NIPing. Now I can nurse just about anywhere and can boast some very interesting (and cool) places that I have NIP'd! It helps that I babywear, and when necessary, I can nurse on the go, although I do prefer nursing sitting down.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

What kind of supplies do I need?
I highly recommend the My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow to help you for the first few months. This will hold the baby at the right height on you lap. Definitely get a good breastfeeding book and read it before baby comes, I suggest "The Breastfeeding Book" by Dr. Sears. Keep some Lanolin and nursing pads on hand

Do I really need a pump? I have access to a pump if I decide to breast feed but I did not know if this was a necessity.
If you are a SAHM, I don't think its necessary. It's much easier and faster to nurse your baby than to pump IMO.

What's your best advice for a first time breast feeder?
Be informed. Be positive, know that you CAN do this and that this is how you were intended to feed and nurture your child. See a lactation consultant at the hospital and/or shortly after. Remember that breastfeeding is dual purposed, it is for feeding and comforting. You baby may want to nurse ALL day and that is normal, put baby in a sling or wrap to make this easier. Also, make sure that you only surround yourself with people who are "breastfeeding positive" and ignore any negative remarks from others.

Do I need special bras and tops? I know they make these, I do have one nursing tank, but that is it.
Nursing bras and/or tanks make it much easier. Or you can wear a sports bra in a size or two larger than you would normally wear so that your breasts are easily accessible.

Also I have seen a lot of controversy lately about breast feeding in public, so my questions on this are do you feed in public or how do you feel about feeding in public. I would feed in public I think if I had a sling or shawl to cover myself with so I was not too out in the open, but wasn't sure how or what others might do. So curious.
At some point you will find yourself in a situation where you must nurse your baby in public, so practice at home and have someone watch you to make sure you can do it discreetly. A nursing cover definitely helps. After a few times, you'll find that its no big deal and most people won't even realize what you're doing.
You CAN do it! Relax and you will do great. Breastfeeding is really a wonderful thing. I love nursing DD, it gives me a chance to sit down, kick up my feet, talk to DD, stroke her hair, and gaze at my precious LO.
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #36
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Wow you mama's have been AWESOME THANK YOU

After talking to my husband we have decided to give it a go. I am making some calls tomorrow to start preparing. I looked up the LLL and there is a local group not far from me who meets once a month and there is an email for a lady there as well if I need advice or support.

I have one nursing tank and I did order some mama made nursing pads (if all else fails they make great coasters LOL) but other than that I am only going to get a couple cheap things to start me off and build up from there. Just want to make sure its going to work for us. My insurance covers a great pump from what they tell me so I will be able to get that as well.

Thank you again. I may be back with more questions as the time gets closer. Thanks for you input and support, its nice to know there are so many BFing mama's out there. I only know one around me who does it.
So happy to read this!!!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote