Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Natural GBS preventative regimes?

Can anyone recommend a good regime for preventing GBS naturally? I am planning on doing garlic cloves vaginally (3 nights on, 3 nights off) but trying to decide what else would be best in combination with that.

So far on my list of possibilities I have:

-Probiotics (though not entirely sure which ones, or whether they should be taken orally or vaginally).
-Live culture yoghurt.
-Echinacea (not sure on best dosage).
-Vitamin C (again not sure on best dosage, I have read 500mg every 4 hours).

Can anyone clarify dosages on these and specify the kind of probiotics to use? Should I just go for all of them (the above listed)?

I'd rather avoid hibiclens, as I think it will irritate me and is harsher than the rest of the treatments I'm looking at.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Natural GBS preventative regimes?

I ate a lot of garlic, raw or lightly cooked. A lot of yogurt, buttermilk, kimchi. That is all I did and I tested - for two pregnancies. I had been + the pregnancy before that.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probiotics in pill form or fermented foods are great- they balance out the good bacteria/bad bacteria and that's really the problem in a GBS+ mom- too much of the bad bacteria. If you know that you're positive or aren't going to find out, I'd be hitting the homemade yogurt, kefir, and kombucha pretty hard in the next few weeks. Coconut oil is also a great supplement orally.

Vitamin C is good, but I'd be taking a whole food supplement as opposed to ascorbic acid/manufactured vitamin C. 'Alive' makes a good one.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was gbs pos w/ ds 1 and 2. I followed this regimen w/ ds3 and was neg. Am doing it again this time. The only thing I didn't do was the colloidal silver.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4495718_prev...p-b-strep.html
Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just noticed how far along you are. When will they be doing your test? I know I always had mine at 37wks. I use Jarrow's probiotics. The best ones are the ones in the refrigerated area at the health store. I've heard the pearls are good also. I'm sure others will have suggestions on brands as well. My echinacea are 350mg. I take 2 2-3 times/day. My vit c's are 1000mg (2X's day). I started this regimen at 25 wks. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 02-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks so much for the input! I got some Vit C from rosehips, is that okay? I've been having a lot of juice etc high in vitamin C also.

I won't be getting tested; I don't see the point personally and would rather just treat naturally as if I were positive.

I have some garlic capsules, but I could honestly eat garlic cloves raw I'm definitely going to be trying to incorporate garlic into our dinners as much as possible (as far as DH will let me!!!).
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 View Post
Thanks so much for the input! I got some Vit C from rosehips, is that okay? I've been having a lot of juice etc high in vitamin C also.

I won't be getting tested; I don't see the point personally and would rather just treat naturally as if I were positive.

I have some garlic capsules, but I could honestly eat garlic cloves raw I'm definitely going to be trying to incorporate garlic into our dinners as much as possible (as far as DH will let me!!!).
The problem with juice is that sugar actually feeds the GBS and other pathogenic bacteria. I'd go easy on the juice and stick to capsules and supplements with natural vitamin C and probiotic ffods that are low in sugar.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Here's the GBS prevention regimen that my midwife gave me. I'm not sure it's as natural as you want. I started this at 35 weeks, and tested negative at 37 wks.

MegaFlora Probiotic (1 capsule a day)

Garlic 580 mg capules (2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner)

One 500 mg Vitamin C tablet with 200mg bio-flavonoids (with breakfast*and dinner)

Olive Leaf Extract (1000mg/day starting in the 3rd trimester)

Gy-Na-Tren oral and vaginal (14 day course starting 2 weeks before GBS screening)
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

The problem with juice is that sugar actually feeds the GBS and other pathogenic bacteria. I'd go easy on the juice and stick to capsules and supplements with natural vitamin C and probiotic ffods that are low in sugar.
It's actually smoothies I've been having, since sometimes that's all I can stomach at the moment... I wonder if that's why I've been irritated down below though, it didn't even occur to me! Oops!