Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

FTM looking for tips!

I'm pregnant with my first baby, and I'm due on January 9th. I've been reading Breastfeeding Made Simple and watching videos of tips and breastfeeding on YouTube. I was wondering if any of you ladies have any tips or advice to help a newbie out. Thanks =)

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ask for help while in the hospital from the lc
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nurse. Nurse. Nurse. And don't listen to anyone who says your baby "can't possibly be hungry"! Good luck!!!!!
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: FTM looking for tips!

Congrats! This is such an exciting timeThe first rule of babies is "give them a nursie" When in doubt nurse the baby. No schedule or clock watching. Just sit down and nurse.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncegrl
Ask for help while in the hospital from the lc
Ditto!! Nothing truly prepares you. And a rough start doesn't mean it won't work out.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Ditto!! Nothing truly prepares you. And a rough start doesn't mean it won't work out.
This.

You need a good support system. This is really, really important, so I'll say it again.... You need a good support system. You need someone that you can call, day or night, who can give you accurate, helpful information (preferably an IBCLC), who can check your latch, run to the store for you, answer questions, and just generally support your breastfeeding goals/hopes.

I have a friend that just had a baby 2 weeks ago. An LC came by her room while she was in the hospital and gave her the thumbs up. She went home and for two weeks her baby didn't gain any weight and she had no idea anything was wrong. The Pediatrician freaked out on her at the two week check-in and sent her home with formula. She called me crying and I ran right over to her house with a double electric pump (she didn't have one) and a hospital grade scale. After a thorough evaluation and lots of questions asked and answered, we came up with a plan. No formula needed in this case. Three days later, her LO had gained 3 oz and things are looking great for them, however, this could have easily gone down-hill fast if she didn't have someone to call for breastfeeding support.

Get in contact with an IBCLC and or your local LLL group leader before you have your baby and get them on your speed dial. That way when you have questions (which you will - all of us new moms do!) you won't have to search and wonder what to do. You can just call them and they can help you asap.

GL Mama! I wish you all the best!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also recommend contacting your local LLL group. See if there's a meeting coming up and attend ASAP. Even if your baby isn't here yet, you will learn something at the meeting.

Also check out the "womanly art of breastfeeding.'

My favorite saying when helping moms is, "Bring the baby to the breast, not the breast to the baby." It can make all the difference in a good latch!
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pretty much seconding (or thirding, fourthing...) what everyone else has said! So exciting mama.

(and, whenever you're looking for supportive people...there's a great community of us right here!)
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Definitely start attending your local LLL meetings, you'll learn tons of good info
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THink positively I had so many moms tell me that nursing is really hard, but I decided that I would think positively and just assume that it would work, and then tackle any problems that came up.

It was painful for 2 weeks or so, but then got better. Even with a natural birth it took 5 days for my milk to come in, and she lost more weight than most peds would have liked, but I just waited until my milk came in and took her in when she was 3 weeks old instead of checking back again and again for weigh-ins. I think that this helps to avoid the fear and pressure to supplement with formula in the first weeks of life.

So tips that I have-
plan for a normal/natural birth. Babies who are not drugged are just more likely to nurse better, and bodies that birthed normally are more likely to produce milk efficiently
think positively
It might hurt in the beginning, but that doesn't mean necessarily that there is a problem. Give your body a little bit of time to adjust to this new role.
Wait until your milk comes in to get baby weighed or worry about weight loss
Don't forget to eat/drink! Your body needs nutrients to produce milk and keep you going also. Don't eat a low-fat diet while nursing (or ever, really. haha. But especially not when nursing)