Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
Best material/dipes for sensitive skin?

So right now we use flats and pul covers, sometimes fleece covers. My DD#2 has crazy sensitive skin and I am wondering if there is anything better than what we are using but still very budget friendly (super tight). I would love to let her skin breathe more, when I try to let her run around in just a pinned flat she always manages to wiggle it really loose (partially because of my horrible pinning skills) I like wool but I cant tolerate it at all on my skin nor can her dad and im not sure that i want to risk it on her since its so pricey, kwim. I would love to hear your suggestions!
Ariel

Advertisement

Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best material/dipes for sensitive skin?

What about some upcycled wool. Very price friendly here on the fsot forum. It functions just as well as our knit and crochet.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
What about some upcycled wool. Very price friendly here on the fsot forum. It functions just as well as our knit and crochet.
whenever I wear wool or dds dad has worn wool he has a reaction to it, very itchy and then I break out. Im just concerned her sensitive skin would react to it, or would the soaker cover mostly her dipe not her skin? im sorry to sound so ignorant I just have no experience with wool as a soaker/cover. Thanks so much! You are always so incredibly helpful, you're like my cding fairy
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

My little one has very sensative skin too. We can't use prefolds anymore because she needs to have a wicking layer to protect her skin. Right now we use pockets, I'm considering making her some pockets with fleece because I think her skin might breath more.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fleece covers are a great option. You can even just use fleece pants. I have a pair of carters pants that I use as a cover. Since fleece doesn't fray you can buy fleece pants and cut them into shorties for the summer. If your lucky you may even be able to find them at good will.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another vote for fleece. Very breathable. I've been using a lot lately with our flats.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

fleece over your flats - easy and pretty cheap option to try

we love fitted diapers with wool over it, but from what you said about you and your DH have a reaction, I'd probably not try wool, at least for now.... bummer.

Wool is really awesome.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was surprised with my 2 year old, I'm very allergic to food, environmental everything, meds & fabrics. I can't wear wool or acrylic (even 2% wool or 1% acrylic is enough for me to react to). My big girls couldn't wear wool covers either but my little guy can wear wool! He is so allergic, he's still on a liquid medical diet at age 2, can't tolerate other foods at all but wool is okay. It is possible to share allergies to the same things but just because a specific item is a problem for you and/or dh, doesn't mean it always will be for your children.

If you are interested, I'd check FSOT here & see if you can find some deals on wool. Imse Vimse makes a great wool wrap cover with Velcro so you could put it on & not need to pin. I like it also since it is machine washable.

Have you tried snappis for the flats? Maybe add a Joey Bunz in there for added absorbency & try cover less with a Snappi to keep it well attached?

Last edited by ssand23; 01-08-2012 at 03:19 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
whenever I wear wool or dds dad has worn wool he has a reaction to it, very itchy and then I break out. Im just concerned her sensitive skin would react to it, or would the soaker cover mostly her dipe not her skin? im sorry to sound so ignorant I just have no experience with wool as a soaker/cover. Thanks so much! You are always so incredibly helpful, you're like my cding fairy
Thanks hun. I know you said you are already using fleece. If you wanted to try wool though, You could try a wrap or butt sweater.
A wrap would be best for as little skin contact as possible. They can be found in a wide variety wof softer wools. Like first cuts, cashmere, llama, lambs wool, ect. The wool intypical sweaters can often be much tougher fibers than found in the ones I listed. I can handle soft wools only as well. I get the same reaction as you and dh. Fleece is a great cover as well though. But since you were looking into other options, a wrap or butt sweeater would be my suggestion. It takes a little time to hunt down what you are looking for at the price you want to pay. You don't want to invest too much, as it may not work for you. Here is a pic of Cayden (Mr. sensitive) wearing a butt sweater I made.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Also remember to pat the bottom completely dry.

Everyone's suggestions are great!
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote