Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: Mama20
Question Can someone explain fleece (and possible wool) soakers?

After being told a fleece soaker might be the answer to my need for a trim cover over fitteds on my tiny newborn, I bought one on etsy this afternoon. To be honest, though, I have no clue about fleece and wool soakers. How does it work? Can I expect to be able to use the fleece soaker multiple times before washing, or do I have to wash everytime? Should I be able to feel safe putting a onesie and pants over it without having to worry that she'll have "leak spots" on her legs or bum when we're out and about?

also, just in case I see a good deal somewhere, I'm curious about wool soakers, too (or shorts, not sure what they're called), but I'm scared if wool! Can someone tell me about those?

TutuEllagant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Can someone explain fleece (and possible wool) soakers?

I don't have much experience with fleece- the only time I tried it we had compression leaks- but I do know that you have to wash after every use. We love wool, and I've had success out and about with it. You just have to remember that wool is only as good as the diaper underneath it- if you don't have enough absorbency it's not going to work as well. Here's my little wool synopsis from my shop:

Why choose wool? Wool is kind of magic. It's not waterproof, but it is water resistant and can absorb about a third of its own weight. Because of this, a properly lanolized wool cover will almost always catch leaks before they reach sheets, clothing, etc. Wool is also antimicrobial, and does not need to be washed after every change. Simply let it air out and it will be ready for the next change! Washing/lanolizing is a simple process- just let woolies soak with some lanolin rich wool wash (or melt some lansinoh and add a squirt of baby shampoo) for at least 30 min, squeeze out excess water (or let them run through a spin cycle in the washer), and let them air dry.
Wife to my Davey and wool-lovin' mama to Nora and Joey.
Looking for adorable recycled wool? Check out Last Minute Boutique on Etsy!

** Soakers, wool changing pads, legging style longies, holiday longies and NEW cargo style longies! Use coupon code dsmama for free shipping!! Happy Holidays!
noranuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Registered Users
I agree with PP about the wool.It's explained way better than I could have.

I use about half fleece and half wool, and IME I don't have to wash it at every change. If I use it overnight (I normally use wool though) I definitely have to change it in the morning because it smells like urine. I can go multiple diaper changes without having to wash it, especially if the diaper underneath it isn't soaked. I guess I average 2-3 fleece soakers a day. Not too sure how accurate that is because I usually rotate my fleece at every change. I love my fleece because I can wash it with my diapers and it is inexpensive. I love my wool because I don't have to wash it often. I enjoy both for many reasons. I would probably try both if I were you and see what works for you HTH!
WOHM to my sweet bean married to my best friend
Skybaby712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

We mainly use fleece and don't have issues with compression leaks. If a diaper is really soaked, it will compression leak through fleece so you have to use absorbent diapers. If I put my son in a PF, it needs a doubler as well.

I have a FAQ on fleece here:
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Registered Users

Sub'ing again
SAHM for my little girlies!
Kayla1981 is offline   Reply With Quote