Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What makes diaper rash ointment NOT safe for cloth. What about powders?

Hey mamas there seems to be a lot of options out there for diaper rash creams. We dont usually get much of a rash but I would like to have something on hand. I have coconut oil and it works for slight rashes but if we get a really bad one it takes a LONG time to recover. So I was at Baby's R us, and they have a few natural options but I am just wondering what the ingredient in cremes that makes it not safe for cloth. So I can avoid those cremes. Then what about baby powder, I was using Balmex baby powder but they dont make it anymore. Is there any ingredients I should avoid in the powders?
TIA!!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What makes diaper rash ointment NOT safe for cloth. What about powders?

Oils, large amounts of lanolin and zinc can coat the cloth and in some cases cause repelling. I always use CJ's - you can order it online with free shipping at sweetbottomsbaby.com. Powders are fine but for baby's health, avoid products with talc.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
duckmama
Registered Users

I have found if you use a flushable liner and totally cover the diaper with this liner you can use powder without effecting the diaper. I totally agree with the above, CJS works well, the creams like desitin can also stain the diaper and can be nearly impossible to get out and you need to be careful with them.
duckmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

My daughter went through a nasty rash this past month from being on antibiotics. We used whatever cream worked best for her and then stripped all the dipes with dawn afterwards.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used Cj's I just dont like having to buy it online. The Balmex powder was talc free and was a prevention powder so it had aloe and some other things in it. I am so sad they are not making it anymore. It never was a problem with the diapers. So I am basically just no cremes with lanolin, zinc and I think petroleum right?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never had an issue with powder washing ou. I use a fleece liner when using ointment because I only use tripplepast. They have oils in them that cling/bind to the material and won't normally wash out with regular detergents. It takes a degreaser like dawn to get it out. It will cause buildup and repelling. I never have a problem with our long fleece cuts/liners. it's our small ones that won't stay put.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleahDeann View Post
Hey mamas there seems to be a lot of options out there for diaper rash creams. We dont usually get much of a rash but I would like to have something on hand. I have coconut oil and it works for slight rashes but if we get a really bad one it takes a LONG time to recover. So I was at Baby's R us, and they have a few natural options but I am just wondering what the ingredient in cremes that makes it not safe for cloth. So I can avoid those cremes. Then what about baby powder, I was using Balmex baby powder but they dont make it anymore. Is there any ingredients I should avoid in the powders?
TIA!!!!
Just thought I'd add a little helpful info on the powder aspect.... (as a NICU nurse)

Powder is no longer recommended for use on babies (of any age) by the medical community because it causes irritation in the lungs when the infant inhales the small particles in the air as it is applied. The irritation can lead to inflammation and make them more prone to respiratory infections. (Its not good for adults to inhale, either)

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 01-08-2012 at 01:54 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
plumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Oils, large amounts of lanolin and zinc can coat the cloth and in some cases cause repelling. I always use CJ's - you can order it online with free shipping at sweetbottomsbaby.com. Powders are fine but for baby's health, avoid products with talc.
Cod liver oil is the main oil that causes repelling. Zinc will cause repelling in synthetics but can be ok w/ natural fibersalso. I don't recommend petroleum, mineral oil or any type of silicone. These are not easily washed out w/ hot water and can coat diapers and build up in the fibers.

Pure lanolin is CD safe. I use it instead of DR creams and it heals in 24 hours. It washes out easily in hot water.

ERA: veggie based ouls are ok and washout easily in hot water.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumpkin View Post
Cod liver oil is the main oil that causes repelling. Zinc will cause repelling in synthetics but can be ok w/ natural fibersalso. I don't recommend petroleum, mineral oil or any type of silicone. These are not easily washed out w/ hot water and can coat diapers and build up in the fibers.

Pure lanolin is CD safe. I use it instead of DR creams and it heals in 24 hours. It washes out easily in hot water.

ERA: veggie based ouls are ok and washout easily in hot water.
I will try the lanolin, I have a ton of Lanisonoh Nipple creme, would that work?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleahDeann View Post
I will try the lanolin, I have a ton of Lanisonoh Nipple creme, would that work?
Yep!