Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! My 18mo still nurses as much as a newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsissy View Post
ya know.. it would be one thing if she was actually DRINKING/EATING but most of the time she isn't..
I totally understand where you're coming from, my DD wants to nurse ALL day and ALL night, too. But I think it's really important to keep in mind that breastfeeding isn't just about feeding, it's also equally for comforting. Most children of this age continue to have a NEED to pacify at the breast. And it really does make sense, wouldn't you want to snuggle up to your favorite person in the world and suck (the most soothing activity at this age) on a warm, soft breast that smells like mommy? Honestly, I think its all about attitude at this point. Remember that only YOU can satisfy this NEED that your child has and that really is a great honor. While most moms of children this age are being pushed to the side, your LO actually wants to be with you, snuggle you, connect with you and that is very special. Don't take this time for granted because your LO will be weaned before you know it and I'm sure you will look back and miss your recharging sessions.

Advertisement

rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

I think if you want it to stop you have to set boundaries. Ie. "we only nurse at home", and stick to them. She's not a baby any more. She can deal with boundaries if you set them.

Also, try to get her to use something else for comfort. Some kids have stuffed animals. My oldest daughter became attached to my hair when she weaned. If she is tired, nervous, upset, she plays with my hair.

Others have talked about that connection, but I think she can get the same thing from a hug, she just needs a little nudge.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcima

I totally understand where you're coming from, my DD wants to nurse ALL day and ALL night, too. But I think it's really important to keep in mind that breastfeeding isn't just about feeding, it's also equally for comforting. Most children of this age continue to have a NEED to pacify at the breast. And it really does make sense, wouldn't you want to snuggle up to your favorite person in the world and suck (the most soothing activity at this age) on a warm, soft breast that smells like mommy? Honestly, I think its all about attitude at this point. Remember that only YOU can satisfy this NEED that your child has and that really is a great honor. While most moms of children this age are being pushed to the side, your LO actually wants to be with you, snuggle you, connect with you and that is very special. Don't take this time for granted because your LO will be weaned before you know it and I'm sure you will look back and miss your recharging sessions.
Very well said mama!! Children still have a need, and in my opinion a hug just isn't the same.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcima View Post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OP- I'm in the same boat. Actually, I'm sitting here icing my poor nipples right now and hoping that my 20 month old doesn't wake up any time soon. She's been wanting these marathon sessions lately that just wreck my boobs. I know I will look back fondly at bfing her, and I don't want to rush her to wean, but sometimes I do wish she'd cut back just a little. I would be in heaven if she night weaned! Just wanted to commiserate.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'll be the voice of dissent...

I recently was in the exact same boat, and it got the point I just couldn't take it anymore. DS (18mo) was nursing all the time. He'd refuse to eat very much food. He'd hold out until I gave in and nursed him. Literally he was still nursing 12-14 times a day.

A couple weeks ago DH and I happened to have a 3-day getaway planned for ourselves so DS stayed with grandma. While there he starting eating solid foods reliably! (not that he had a choice) So when I got back it was instantly easier and he was down to 3-4 nursings/day. However, I'm just not loving it anymore so I'm in the process of weaning him completely. I think I'm pretty well dry anyway, and he's just doing it for comfort. But it's painful and annoying enough that I've just got to quit.

I congratulate myself for making it this far. But I can't continue to do it if it's going to drive me nuts and ruin the fondness I have for breastfeeding!
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleysmom1207 View Post
OP- I'm in the same boat. Actually, I'm sitting here icing my poor nipples right now and hoping that my 20 month old doesn't wake up any time soon. She's been wanting these marathon sessions lately that just wreck my boobs. I know I will look back fondly at bfing her, and I don't want to rush her to wean, but sometimes I do wish she'd cut back just a little. I would be in heaven if she night weaned! Just wanted to commiserate.
My friend's LO just started sttn, randomly and therefore not nursing at night. My friend said she thought she'd be so happy but she was really sad and missed those little night-time check-ins with her little girl. Well... 10 days later, her LO started waking and nursing at night again. I asked her if she was glad or frustrated and she said "no, I think I needed that break to realize how much I really do love breastfeeding and spending that time with her... even at night. I missed her so much!". Everyone's experience is different.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You might want to check out the book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" for info and strategies on nursing manners and toddler behavior. It can help you understand the possible causes of your LOs behavior and you can use that knowledge to determine the best course of action. Good luck!
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon_jane21 View Post
You might want to check out the book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" for info and strategies on nursing manners and toddler behavior. It can help you understand the possible causes of your LOs behavior and you can use that knowledge to determine the best course of action. Good luck!
This
My ds1 nursed as frequently as a newborn until he was 2 maybe longer I don't really remember. He would nurse during the night, before bed time, before nap time, when he woke in the morning and after naps and before and after each meal. And any other time he felt the need for comfort. Sometimes I thought he would never stop needing to nurse so often. Eventually they do start to slow down it just takes some little ones longer than others. I too would suggest reading the above book and others like it. I would also suggest attending some LLL meetings so you can meet other moms of nursing toddlers. It can help you not feel like such an oddity. If you still would like to cut back on the nursing sessions I'm sure they can help you out with some tips and suggestions.