Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Re: Non Vaxing, Selective Vaxing?

Oh man, I'm hesitant to wade into the vaccine debate, but I know it's helpful to read about what other people have done :-) We talked with our doctor and did lots of research. Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book is a great starting point. If our daughter had been in any kind of daycare setting or if we hadn't been breastfeeding, we probably would have closely followed Dr. Sears' schedule almost exactly.

So far, we ended up postponing any vaccinations until about 4 months, and then we've been selectively vaccinating, and she's had only one shot at a time, spaced out by 2-4 weeks.

We took into consideration her risk factors for diseases, how risky the disease itself actually is if you do catch it, how common, etc. We also considered aluminum amounts. Although it seems that no specific issues have been proven with aluminum, we still felt it would be prudent to minimize the exposure to aluminum in one "sitting," so this is why we spaced the vaccines out and did them one at a time

We also considered brands - different brands have different ingredients and aluminum amounts. We ended up getting some shots at the health department and some at the doctor's office so we could get the brands we were comfortable with. Dr. Sears' book is helpful in this regard as well.

We have skipped or plan to skip Rotavirus, polio, Hep B and probably chicken pox. We do plan to do MMR, but not sure when yet.

My husband and I really wrestled with the decision. I found that I couldn't relax in public because I was worried she would catch something that a vaccine might have prevented, like pertussis, and I wasn't comfortable with the risk - even though it was extremely low! We had done tons of research, and I knew all the arguments in my head for skipping vaccines, but there are also good arguments FOR vaccinations. In the end, though, we decided we were more comfortable with selectively vaccinating/delaying instead of skipping altogether.

We were thankful our doctor was supportive, and, in fact, he was really helpful in our understanding and discussions. Hopefully you can get a recommendation for a good doctor who will discuss things with you for your child's particular situation/vaccination history instead of go to battle with you :-)

Advertisement

Last edited by CurlyQ215; 01-08-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd run an advanced search. There has been a been some great info on here shared from both sides.

For our family, I questioned vaccinating long before I ever had children. The death of a child I knew was what started my questioning.
I decided not to vaccinate.

Dr. Sears book is good. There are others at libraries, Barnes and Noble etc that you could glance through as well.

As far as the CDC, I don't really trust them. I do read on their site though.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't vax, not going to get into all the reasons why we don't but more or less this was why I don't: I can always vax them later, I can't take back what was already put into my child. My kids ped asked me why and I gave him several reasons. He looked a little stunned and said 'well good for you for actually knowing why you don't, a lot of people have no reasons of their own either way' he doesn't badger and he even knows how to put the diapers on Tanner, he thinks they're cool. If you feel like your ped office doesn't approve you may want to call around and ask the actual doctors what their opinion is. I picked him because my chiro said he is one of the few around here who doesn't pressure you to do what you don't want. We do still go to all the wellness checks though.
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I select and delay b/c although I don't think every vax is necessary and doesn't need to be done on the CDC recommended time table, I do think getting some is important. My views on this are always evolving though and all 4 of my children have been vaxed differently based on my continuous research.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

You might also want to look up info regarding the actual diseases you are or aren't vaccinating for. Lots of people look up vaxes and side effects without studying up on the risks of actual disease. I think that would help tremendously when talking to your doctor. Even if you live in an area that is free of whatever disease, all you need is one person on a plane or bus from a country that doesn't vaccinate and has some disease to spread it around. I'm not saying you should vaccinate because of that. But this is the type of stuff doctors bring up, so just letting them know you already thought through scenarios like that will also help.

I'm not a big dr. Sears fan.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...23/1/e164.full

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...r-of-dr-sears/

Here is more info that might help you get started, or give you ideas on what to google:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ews/offit.html

Last edited by *Peanut*; 01-08-2012 at 10:51 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We dont vaccinate.

The cdc website is where I got my information. Also the who website and the vaers website.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
My oldest two are fully vaccinated my youngest has had zero vaccinations.

I chose not to vaccinate because it didn't feel right. I talked with my Dr, and a long term locum who was filling in for him and his wife one time and we all agreed that I was in a low enough risk category that we would be fine. I have also read the Dr Sears book. I would have liked to have partially vaccinated but my health unit was all or nothing so I chose nothing.

My littlest bee is almost three now and I am still comfortable with my choice and I've never been given grief about it when we have seen the Dr or the one time we went to emerg.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #18
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub's View Post
Cause this will be a new Dr and I won't know them. I want to be able to go in there knowing what I am talking about. We have state insurance so I know they are gonna throw a fit if we choose not to vax. I won't have a choice to see another Dr so were gonna be stuck with this one. I want to be sure I am as informed as I can be going in to the appointment.
Know your exemptions. Look at the state you are in and find out what kind of exemptions you are able to use.

It really depends on the state and on the doctor though as far as how they react to you not vaccinating. We're on the state insurance in WI and have had very few issues. Not that I haven't run into doctors who are jerks because I have (and oh, I did recently get a thing in the mail basically trying to temp me with MONEY by saying I can get a $25 gift certificate if I get my younger daughter's vaccinations up to date by the time she's 2--she's almost 18 months now) but for the most part, I haven't been given much grief about it. I KNOW which doctor to avoid and I do. My children will NEVER see him. Bad enough he was on call when my oldest was born because the man is a bonafide *** and unprofessional to boot (stormed out of the nursery when DH told him he didn't want DD get the eye drops or the Vitamin K shot). He's also been on the news a few times going on and on about how selfish parents who don't vaccinate are. Yeah, not ever going to take my kids to see him. The ped they do see yes, he does believe in vaccinations both as a ped and as a dad (has six or seven kids including one just a couple of weeks older than my oldest) but hasn't been pushy at all though he does bring it up at each visit just to make sure we haven't changed our minds or anything. I see it as his job to do so especially since he is at least respectful about it and not at all pushy.

And really, you need to come up with your own reasons for not vaccinating, not go by why others don't. Read, talk to other parents about their experiences (especially those who have done both vaccinating and not vaccinating). DH is very adamant against vaccinations for many reasons, some religious, some health concerns he has. It's not so much the autism thing as the fact that it is a medical procedure that has at least some risk for side effects. Not vaccinating bears some risks too so that's one of the first decisions parents make on the issue, which is the greater concern, which presents the chance of more issues. There are those who feel that not vaccinating bears the greater risk and others feel the opposite. There are those who are concerned with diseases coming back because of the lack of herd immunity. There are those who don't believe in it or believe differently about that concept. There are many reasons why parents vaccinate and don't vaccinate and the many many threads here on this issue go into that.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't believe vaccines *cause* Autism, but I believe they can be a contributing factor in an already at risk child. Kids can have horrible reactions to illnesses and they can have horrible reactions to vaccines. Either way, you're taking a risk. For every anecdotal horror story about vaccines, there is one about a child who got a disease he could have been vaccinated against. It comes down to being a very personal choice. I feel safer leaving my kids unvaccinated. I feel that their immune system is strong and we can treat illnesses should they arise.

I also just want to add that vaccines are falsely credited for stamping out *some* illnesses that actually have a life cycle and die out on their own.

Last edited by el's mama; 01-09-2012 at 12:07 AM.
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
Aub's
Registered Users
seller

Location: Cali Born and Raised But Transplanted To Albany Oregon...
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
Know your exemptions. Look at the state you are in and find out what kind of exemptions you are able to use.

It really depends on the state and on the doctor though as far as how they react to you not vaccinating. We're on the state insurance in WI and have had very few issues. Not that I haven't run into doctors who are jerks because I have (and oh, I did recently get a thing in the mail basically trying to temp me with MONEY by saying I can get a $25 gift certificate if I get my younger daughter's vaccinations up to date by the time she's 2--she's almost 18 months now) but for the most part, I haven't been given much grief about it. I KNOW which doctor to avoid and I do. My children will NEVER see him. Bad enough he was on call when my oldest was born because the man is a bonafide *** and unprofessional to boot (stormed out of the nursery when DH told him he didn't want DD get the eye drops or the Vitamin K shot). He's also been on the news a few times going on and on about how selfish parents who don't vaccinate are. Yeah, not ever going to take my kids to see him. The ped they do see yes, he does believe in vaccinations both as a ped and as a dad (has six or seven kids including one just a couple of weeks older than my oldest) but hasn't been pushy at all though he does bring it up at each visit just to make sure we haven't changed our minds or anything. I see it as his job to do so especially since he is at least respectful about it and not at all pushy.

And really, you need to come up with your own reasons for not vaccinating, not go by why others don't. Read, talk to other parents about their experiences (especially those who have done both vaccinating and not vaccinating). DH is very adamant against vaccinations for many reasons, some religious, some health concerns he has. It's not so much the autism thing as the fact that it is a medical procedure that has at least some risk for side effects. Not vaccinating bears some risks too so that's one of the first decisions parents make on the issue, which is the greater concern, which presents the chance of more issues. There are those who feel that not vaccinating bears the greater risk and others feel the opposite. There are those who are concerned with diseases coming back because of the lack of herd immunity. There are those who don't believe in it or believe differently about that concept. There are many reasons why parents vaccinate and don't vaccinate and the many many threads here on this issue go into that.
This exactly, that is why I was asking for literature cause I want to know the pro's and con's of vaxing and non vaxing
Aubree, Proud Mama To 7 Little Hellion's, Wife To My Sexy Baker Tyler Crunchy, Tattooed, Pierced, Dreddy, Baby Wearing, Extended Rear Facing, AP Parenting, Circumcising, No Longer Vaxing, Mama To An Autistic/ADHD Boy And Dam Proud Of It
Aub's is offline   Reply With Quote