Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ydd just had a cardiac catheterization to repair a large PDA. When she went to her first appointment they did an EKG and since it was abnormal they did an echo. They didn't sedate her at all. For the procedure they sedated her but didn't put her under general and we went home the same day! She was fine by bed time and has been better than ever ever since(we did it on the 5th)
Good luck with everything and take a deep breath.

Advertisement

Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Heart murmur

They do not sedate for echos unless you have a child like mine that screams and panics through the whole thing. If you can't get your child to cooperate then they will sedate for an echo. Usually with a real light sedative like hydrocloride. Shoot the laughing gas at the dentist stoned my kiddo out more then the hydrocloride did during the u/s. They actually had to double the dose and he was still waking up and fighting them. Wound up having to book his one echo with his spinal MRI so he could be completely put under. I have never heard of them putting a kid completely under just for an echo alone though.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine was only sedated at his one and two year check ups. Prior to, I nursed and he fell asleep. Now, I give him a lollipop!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have one and my 2 year old as well. Mine is from MVP and my 2 year olds is an innocent murmer. (thats the term they use)

Hope its nothing! Dd was not sedated at birth or 3 months for her echos and ekgs. You should be fine in that department.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
temichan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had a murmur my whole life and I have no limitations. I had a little issue when I was pregnant, but I'm 100% now. You can live a normal life with a murmur. Your little one is in my thoughts.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had a murmur my entire life! When I was younger, I had to have it checked pretty frequently, but I am perfectly fine
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

They are possibly making a connect with PFO's an young adult strokes. I guess they are on an extreme rise. If your child has one, I suggest asking them as surgery to correct it might be important. I just experienced one with my 27yr old friend. PFO's were previously thought to be benign (considering 25% of the population have them) but young adult strokes are rising at an alarming rate and the majority of those expediting them have a PFO. Just thoughts to consider if and when u get a diagnosis. Not to worry you, just info I recently read about after my friends stroke.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Jackandbennysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! You have all eased my mind! I dont know any of you but I love you all for being there for me and helping me with this! I pray you all have a blessed 2012 year and I will update as soon as I find out! Thanks! You guys are all GREAT!
Just a Mama living with her prince charmings<3 Wife to my handsome man Matt and mama to my 2 VERY wild, but perfect boys, Jack (3/7/2008) and Benny (3/30/2011) expecting our third boy Brody (7/31/2013)
Jackandbennysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 10 month old was diagnosed with a PDA and a PFO when she was about 5 weeks old. She has had 2 echos and seen the cardiologist. They may have closed, as her pedi has not heard a murmur at her last 2 appointments, however we had asked for a referral back up to Doernbeckers when she is 1, just for reassurance. Now that I've read what someone said above about PFOs, I'm glad we are doing that.

Heart problems are scary as hell, but if you're baby is doing well, try not to stress until you know what you are dealing with.
Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son was cleared at the hospital despite hearing a possible murmur. I watchy son struggle to sleep with his chest caving in with each breath. he slept no more than an hour and could not drink more than 1 ounce before falling asleep only to wake up 45 min later screaming of hunger. at his 2 week appt I told his ped of his breathing and eating. he said his chest was like that because he's agitated. I had to convince him it was like that at rest. Finally convinced, he sent me to a wonderful pulmonologist knew something wasn't right and though it wasn't something she could help, she refused to not find help. All in a matter of a couple of hours I was at all children's hospital an hour from my home learning my son had a coarctarion of his aorta and a bicuspid valve. he had surgery later that week after gaining some weight amd meds. He almost died because they didn't pursue his murmur. its a good thing they are for you! pediatric cardiologists are wonderful people!

---my phone doesn't always know what I meant!