Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Diapers are burning babies bottom please help!!

So I finally think I figured it out, it's either detergent or my diapers not rinsing well enough. I have done 5 rinses in my FLer and there are still some suds. Am I using too much detergent? Was using tide f&g and now all f&c. This last load I bleached all diapers and wipes 1/2cup. (battling yeast but no signs of yeast rash) put her back in cloth after several days of sposies and her bottom is RED. As a side note they seem to be turning orange when peed or pooped on??? I rinsed a prefold by hand and it turned orange. Any advice???

Advertisement

MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I'm curious as well. We just switched from country save to All free & clear, as a desperate temporary measure in a rural area... Not only does his morning diaper STINK, his skin has a mild rash where his wet diaper was touching it.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
plumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diapers are burning babies bottom please help!!

OP, How much detergent are you using and do you know if you have soft water.

I would put all your clean diapers through 2 hot washes w/ no detergent to see if you have buildup.

Last edited by plumpkin; 01-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.
plumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
plumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
I'm curious as well. We just switched from country save to All free & clear, as a desperate temporary measure in a rural area... Not only does his morning diaper STINK, his skin has a mild rash where his wet diaper was touching it.
How much detergent are you using and what is your wash routine.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

We use flats mostly, but Babykicks Bumboo One-Size at night (and it's the night diapers that are problematic now).

I do a cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, and then a cold rinse. Detergent up to the "2" line (less wasn't getting them clean), in a 2.4 cubic foot washer, water level set on high, with just about 10 diapers.

I've had the redness from when I had help with the wash and they didn't get the second rinse ... or I've had the stink from not using enough detergent ... never both at the same time.

(I miss Country Save ... the diapers are also not as soft with All).
Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you go back to using Country Save? My good friend gave up on cloth for a while because RnG and Tide gave her son a blistering rash. She finally stripped her diapers and started using Country Save. She has had zero issues since. Her boy's bum is totally clear. Tide is a very high allergen and some babies just can't tolerate it. I hope you find a solution soon mama!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
MyDarlingR
Registered Users
seller

I was reading up on this tonight too. My BG diapers seems to be having this problem. It sounds like ammonia burns. The whole turning orange thing is from ammonia build up too. It may be from not enough detergent.

I think my problem is that I do a cold wash on everything with minimal detergent and then pull out all the covers that look clean and line dry. Then wash the inserts & wipes in hot with 3/4 dose of Tide or Babyganics & oxiclean. The inserts are fine, it is the covers from hardly being washed that have the ammonia smell and are causing the redness.

Everything I read, including a couple manufacturers sites recommend adding 1/2-3/4 cup of bleach and a squirt of dawn to strip, then multiple rinses to get the ammonia smell out. I also read using vinegar too but some manufacturers will void them if you do. To prevent it says to up the amount of your detergent that you are using. You are washing pee & poop out and some times everyone says to use only a tsp of detergent for this! After thinking about it, there is NO WAY a couple teaspoons of detergent are going to get urine and poop out. Could imagine washing your underwear with only that much detergent? And that doesnt get peed on!
MyDarlingR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Agreed! Average detergent scoops are 1/2 a cup! And hard water eats up detergent so even more so, a couple tbs isn't going to cut it.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
MydarlingR- very interesting. Hmm I don't have dawn, and afraid to use it in my FLer. You think I could just do bleach and vinegar? And then lots of rinses?