Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
did you felt your disana soakers?

Why? Why not? How did you do it if you did? Also how many times should I lanolize my new soakers? Do I have to dry in between lanolizations if more than once is recommended?

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: did you felt yoir disana soakers?

I did not, and I have never had a leak from my 9-12 month old or my 2.5 year old super soaker, but I also use a bamboo sandy, so I think it's important to use enough absorbancy. Actually, I put a different fitted on my toddler because I was behind on laundry one night. The unfelted disana actually contained what was, literally, a lake of pee just sitting in the soaker. I was impressed. I lanolized once, used for about 4 weeks, then lanolized again. After that, I only do it every 2-3 months. I was a little heavy handed with the lanolin, and did it with the soaker inside out.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Poppy wears Disana almost exclusively. I only felt her night covers. I usually have one that is a size up. I felt with agitation very carefully in the washer(I have a tl). You really don't need to felt them for daytime use, they are very effective. Over time they will felt in the wetzone by themselves especially if your LO walks. I wash by hand by swishing about in wool wash. If I am washing lots of wool I do it in the bath tub. I spin my wool in the washing machine before and after lano. If you are using Lansinoh one time is plenty. I usually lano with them inside out. If you plan to use a lano cube or bit it really depends on who makes it. I am happy to help so feel free to pm.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yup b/c we used it for night. I tried it unfelted (lanolized twice) & we got major leaking. after felting it worked great for nights. I felted by wetting it & throwing in the dryer. I checked on it every 4ish min until it was felted to where I thought it needed to be.

if we were going to use it for day I probably would not felt, but I find them way too bulky for day use
Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

All of mine have come used from FSOT here and were already felted. Pretty common, I think, because it makes them more night-worthy. I agree with mibarra that if you have enough absorbancy, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you happen to have a really wet night, you might get a leak with an unfelted wool cover.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

No felting here. I use them for day and night and have never had a leak. I lanolized them twice before use (letting them dry 80% in between). I use Sheepish Grins lanolin. I second the idea of using the bathtub for a big job. I just used DD's baby tub for 3 longies and two soakers. It worked really well. I also use the gentle spin cycle to spin them after they're lanolized. It cuts down drying time tremendously!

I use them as shorts rather than a soaker so I don't find them bulky at all but they certainly wouldn't be my pick for under pants. Way too bulky for that IMO, even if they were felted.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
babyelephantmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I felted the wet zone, as suggested on the GMD website. When they were new I washed them, then while wet, just rubbed together the wet zone with my hands. I lanolized once, with the Imse Vimse Wool Cure. I follow the directions and leave it sit overnight, and the product leaves a ton of lanolin on covers so once was all I needed.
babyelephantmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: did you felt your disana soakers?

Never felted mine. They contained all wetness.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: did you felt your disana soakers?

All of mine for my DS2 came already partially felted, so have not had to do anything with those. I did lightly felt the ones for DS1, since they are for nighttime and he is a heavy wetter. I put them in the dryer with a couple of dryer balls on low heat for about 5 minutes.

I also think they are softer with a little felting, and prefer the feel of felted vs. unfelted. Felted are smoother, unfelted have more texture, at least to me.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt
yup b/c we used it for night. I tried it unfelted (lanolized twice) & we got major leaking. after felting it worked great for nights. I felted by wetting it & throwing in the dryer. I checked on it every 4ish min until it was felted to where I thought it needed to be.

if we were going to use it for day I probably would not felt, but I find them way too bulky for day use
Exact Same for us!!!
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote