Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Babysitter overfeeding dd

My babysitter (she watches my girls in our home) is overfeeding my dd. DD is 7 months old, ebf with occasional solids. The overfeeding had been a slow progression but peaked last week with her feeding dd 6 bottles in 10 hours with 2 2hr naps. I've mentioned that this is excessive but i dont know if that's going to be enough. The problem is, the babysitter is very overweight and I don't want to offend her with a big discussion on childhood obesity. I don't have her giving dd any solids as I'm afraid that would get out of hand. I need some ideas on how to approach this. She only watches the kids 1-3 days a week. She has no children of her own and doesn't have a lot of experience with breast fed babies.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

Ok. Few things:

She is your babysitter. You tell her to do x, y, and z. If she can't, won't, or doesn't, get a new sitter.

Next, babies won't eat if they are full (with exceptions, of course). I think worrying about links to childhood obesity right now is silly. Especially when you mention her weight...really?

Sounds like your sitter needs expectations. I would leave a schedule. And what's wrong with 2 naps?

Your baby may need to comfort suck. I would try leaving pacis with the sitter even of she doesn't take them when you are around.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I always believed you couldn't over feed a baby... Until I had DS. I over fed him for the first 6 months of his life (not knowing any better) and it caused a lot of problems. If your DD is eating and not spitting up or uncomfortable, then she's probably fine.

However, if she spits up after most feedings, is in pain, etc. Then she probably needs a paci instead of a bottle. Over feeding can cause reflux and stomach acid can do damage to a little one's system. I was lucky that DS has no lasting effects from his months of over feeding.

If the baby sitter won't follow your guidelines, find a new one. I can tell you now that going to the ER multiple times a week because your baby is vomiting and screaming in pain is NOT a good time.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Instead of taking the childhood obesity angle, how about approaching it from a milk supply angle: "do you think you could try to make sure DD usually only has X number of bottles in a day?. That many ounces is plenty for her and if she has more then I won't be able to pump enough to keep up with her and I'll lose my supply.". Or something like that?

Last edited by kateroc; 01-10-2012 at 07:35 AM.
kateroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
majomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateroc
Instead of taking the childhood obesity angle, how about approaching it from a milk supply angle: "do you think you could try to make sure DD usually only has X number of bottles in a day?. That many ounces is plenty for and if she has more then I won't be able to pump enough to keep up with her and I'll lose my supply.". Or something like that?
and if she continues to go against your rules then let her go.
majomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babysitter overfeeding dd

You are paying this person, so you're the boss. Perhaps present this website to her, along with a discussion about what your baby should be expected to eat. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Kellymom.com is a good place to start - maybe go over some of the info there with the baby sitter and then you two can discuss.

The number of bottles doesn't really alarm me because babies have a strong need to suck often and for a number of reasons other than hunger. The real issue is how many ounces are in each bottle and is LO getting over fed during the time you are away which can effect your supply and how much you are able to pump for her.

I watch a breastfed baby during the day while her mommy is at work and she does bottle feed often but she has a verrrry slow flow nipple and it takes her a good long time (at least 15 minutes) to get 2 ounces. On an average day that she is with me for about 7 hours, she will take about 5-6, maaaaybe 7 ounces, in about 2 ounce increments, about every 2 hours. That is pretty normal for a breastfed baby. Her mama feeds her right before she gets dropped off, and the minute she picks up. My friend is able to pump slightly more than the amount that her LO is getting bottle fed while she's with me and her LO is happy and growing normally with good weight-gain and plenty of wet/dirty diapers.

GL mama. I hope you can get on the same page with your sitter and work something out that is better for all.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How many ounces are in each bottle?

both by boys were on a schedule during the week that was
5:30 nurse and then back to bed.
Up around 8:00am

Between 8:00am and 4pm they had between 3 and 4 4oz bottles.

Nurse at 5pm and then again at 8pm (bedtime after that feeding).

They STTN at about 4 months. 8pm to 5:30am
Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know that I would bring up the childhood obesity thing at all--I think I would just say that breastfed babies should only be eating about 1 oz for every hour they are away from their mama, and that a bottle empties into the baby's mouth very differently than the way a breast works when baby sucks. For that reason, baby may seem to be hungry but really just needs to suck. Does your baby take a pacifier?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mamas! I only mentioned the weight issue in my original post (wish I hadn't now) because it's a really touchy subject for her. Bottles are 3oz each and yes she does take a paci and sucks her fingers for comfort, she loves to suck. I think I'll try the approach of the above poster.
Right now I'm happy with this babysitter otherwise plus she watches the girls in our home and is fairly inexpensive so I'd hate to lose her