Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

Pf's and covers are not working - rash related

I cd'ed my dd for 2 1/2 years using pf's and covers, a mix of fleece and pul covers and BG 3.0's for nights. Everything worked, my wash routine, no leaks or rashes. NOW, I have a ds with very sensitive skin. We have finally cleared up eczema after fighting it for 2 months. For some reason, he developed a heat rash in his diaper area, from the family jewels to his belly button. The dermatologist thinks the area is staying too moist. I tried using only fleece covers and changing almost every hour and still the rash would not go away. I stripped all my dipes, liners, wipes and covers with a good overnight vinegar soak. I put him in 7th gen. sposies for 2 days and the rash cleared up. I put him back in cloth, a BG for overnight and then a day in pf's with fleece cover and the rash came right back. Arg!!

I LOVE cd'ing but not at the expense of my lo's comfort. I am wiling to sell my entire stash and start again to see what work with my ds sensitive skin. $ is not the determining factor so please suggest away! I want to get at least a days worth of something different and make a go at again. PLEASE HELP!!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
plumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pf's and covers are not working - rash related

Have you tried the dawn strip and a hot wash with bleach. If the diapers are causing a rash and need stripping, I'm not sure a vinegar soak is enough.

My DD needs breathable and natural fabrics so we use Green Line diapers. They are great and super absorbent, super trim and easy to clean. They are restocking tomorrow but check out their FB page, esp the photos to get an idea of what the dipe is like. There is also a couple huge threads on here about it. I'll link it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-...s/122411517039

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ight=greenline

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ight=greenline

Last edited by plumpkin; 01-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.
plumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try adding a stay-dry liner over the rashy area, and sticking with the breathable covers for now. Maybe some baby powder on the rash to help it stay dry. Stick with it for a few days to see if it helps!

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did it seem to be coming back after wearing the BGs overnight? Seems like anything with a stay dry inner would help if it's the wetness causing it. But if he has sensitive skin could it be the suedecloth causing the rash? Maybe try letting him go coverless during the day and change as soon as he's wet to rule out build up or something in the diapers causing it. Hmm I don't know...I'm not much help...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried changing detergents?

Our little man gets something that looks like a heat rash, just in the area where his diaper has gotten wet, with certain detergents. I think it's not that his skin is wet (this has never been a problem before) but that the wetness is pulling detergent residue out of the diaper.

Even if you've used the same detergent for awhile with no problem, it could be the detergent ... chemical sensitivities are frequently cumulative.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

it was a combo of detergent issues and fibers here. my DD can stand some time in a PUL type set up particially now that its not sooo darn hot here but the majority of the time she needs all cotton and breathable covers. We do mostly cotton prefolds and nicki or niji cotton or breathable poly covers and some grovia AIOs organic cotton inners snapped a little losse to allow for extra air flow. We sposie at night and my attempt to go back to cloth for night have failed simpily bcause all night in cotton = rash and fleece or suade cloth = rash as well..
But the biggest diffrence was finding the right detergent and it too me FOREVER to do that we are finially rash free using Cheer FnC liquid and a bit of bleach.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

BTW I cant use ANY vinager my DD rashes up like crazy with it if I do I need to re wash several tiems and rinse like crazy to make sure none remains.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter gets rashes from the BG suedecloth. Do you use Rockin Green by any chance?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
MomandE
Registered Users
seller

I'm thinking maybe you need a stay dry fleece liner for INSIDE the diaper? And maybe something more breathable for outside like wool? I'm sorry mama, that's hard
MomandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

I was using Tide powder. Should I try Charlies Soap? I had done a little bleach and thought maybe that was adding to the rash...
I use fleece liners should I try something different?
thanks for the help so far