Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Possible PUPPS

hey everyone.

I'm 40 weeks today (woohoo!) but for the past few days, I've been SUPER itchy. Like incredibly bad itching/burning sensations all over my body! I have these tiny bumps on my arms and legs, and my midwife thinks it might be PUPPS. She told me to try putting pure aloe vera on the itchy areas for some relief, but the relief is extremely short lived. Does anyone know of any treatments or ways to get some relief?

Hopefully my LO decides to come out soon lol

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Possible PUPPS

I got this at around 38 weeks with my first and fortunately only had to deal with it for a couple of weeks. Oil (coconut, olive, etc) is the only thing that helped, but that relief was temporary. Hopefully you'll give birth soon and not have to worry about it! Some people say that liver supplements can help, but I didn't know about that at the time to try it. It will probably go away right after the birth; that's the good news!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I got this at around 38 weeks with my first and fortunately only had to deal with it for a couple of weeks. Oil (coconut, olive, etc) is the only thing that helped, but that relief was temporary. Hopefully you'll give birth soon and not have to worry about it! Some people say that liver supplements can help, but I didn't know about that at the time to try it. It will probably go away right after the birth; that's the good news!
Yeah, at most I'll have to deal with it for 2 weeks (my midwife induces if you reach 42 weeks.) Hopefully he decides to come before then though (i really do not want to be induced, and the less time i have to deal with this itching, the better!)

Is there a particular oil that you preferred over the others?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had it from October 30th to November 20th. Cold, particularly cold water, felt delicious. It only lasted until I got dry & warm, but it was wonderful while it lasted. I couldn't live in the shower though, lol. Antihistamine and steroid creams and lotions did next to nothing, though I could sort of function (eat without scratching, or put the dishes away) if I put them on and then put rubber dish gloves over it to leave it squishy and gooey. Oral antihistamines did nothing for me but make me just groggy enough to be exhausted and nonfunctional. Oral steroids did bring some relief, but only for as long as I was taking them. The day the taper ran out, I was itching again. I was so bad I was itching & scratching to bleeding in my sleep even with sleeping pills (I don't remember what kind off the top of my head, but it was prescription and gave me horrible nightmares) I was not resting. I would wake DH up with the scratching and he'd have to physically hold me in my sleep to keep me from bloodying my legs and belly. The only actual cure for it is delivery. I opted to get induced as soon as I hit 40 rather than wait possibly another 2 weeks. I was cleared up within about 36 hours of delivery.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oz_girl View Post
I had it from October 30th to November 20th. Cold, particularly cold water, felt delicious. It only lasted until I got dry & warm, but it was wonderful while it lasted. I couldn't live in the shower though, lol. Antihistamine and steroid creams and lotions did next to nothing, though I could sort of function (eat without scratching, or put the dishes away) if I put them on and then put rubber dish gloves over it to leave it squishy and gooey. Oral antihistamines did nothing for me but make me just groggy enough to be exhausted and nonfunctional. Oral steroids did bring some relief, but only for as long as I was taking them. The day the taper ran out, I was itching again. I was so bad I was itching & scratching to bleeding in my sleep even with sleeping pills (I don't remember what kind off the top of my head, but it was prescription and gave me horrible nightmares) I was not resting. I would wake DH up with the scratching and he'd have to physically hold me in my sleep to keep me from bloodying my legs and belly. The only actual cure for it is delivery. I opted to get induced as soon as I hit 40 rather than wait possibly another 2 weeks. I was cleared up within about 36 hours of delivery.
omg that sounds awful!!!!! you had it so much worse than I do, I feel bad for even complaining!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I had it pretty bad. My OB was worried I'd get an infection from all the open blisters on my skin. I REALLY wish I had taken pictures. Only DH and I know how bad it really was. Well, us and the few unlucky women who get it. I still would not wish even a more mild case on even my worst enemy. For PUPPS and knowing your full term, I'd get induced in a heartbeat. That's just me. You'll wear yourself out suffering, get really bad rest if any at all, and delivering gets it over and done with. It is one of the very few reasons I would advocate induction for comfort.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oz_girl View Post
Yeah, I had it pretty bad. My OB was worried I'd get an infection from all the open blisters on my skin. I REALLY wish I had taken pictures. Only DH and I know how bad it really was. Well, us and the few unlucky women who get it. I still would not wish even a more mild case on even my worst enemy. For PUPPS and knowing your full term, I'd get induced in a heartbeat. That's just me. You'll wear yourself out suffering, get really bad rest if any at all, and delivering gets it over and done with. It is one of the very few reasons I would advocate induction for comfort.
Yeah, I can definitely see why others would induce for PUPPS, but I really do not want to be induced. If it was worse, I'd probably consider it, and although I'm super uncomfortable, I'm not so uncomfortable that I'd consider an induction at this point. I'm planning to deliver at a birth center with my midwife, and I really would be sad to lose that opportunity.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
doubleohkatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had it with my 3rd (go figure). I feel for ya mama. It's terrible. Cold cold cold showers. Those felt awesome, and since it was summer I'd lay nekked on the bed under the fan right afterward. Ha! Terrible metal image but it helped. I used a lot of hydrocortisone cream. But like 2 hours after I had my DS the itching was gone, and way before my pp check up it was completely gone. Such a relief.

RAINBOW 2014
doubleohkatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
elkay724
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it terribly with DD2. I used the aveeno oatmeal bath and then had DH rub aveeno overnight itch relief cream on each dot. Hope it gets better, Mama.
elkay724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a weird case of it last time (it was ONLY in my belly area and no other place so they were loath to call it PUPPS because of that but it was all the symptoms of it). It lasted about seven weeks, they were pure hell. The steroid creams didn't work and what I ended up doing was carry around a horsehair brush and use it to scratch the heck out of me and then I'd throw rubbing alcohol on it. It burned but brought me SUCH relief! I'm hoping I don't get it this time.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote