Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Bad dandruff in preteen

Dandruff shampoos are not really working. She has had it for several years, but it is horrible lately. Dry skin runs in the family, but not sure how to moisturize her scalp and get rid of the flakes. We were using Rx shampoo, which helped some, but that wasn't even all that great. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bad dandruff in preteen

We added fish oil to the diet, use a tea tree oil shampoo, and rinse with apple cider vniegar and it helps. Dandruff isn't completely gone, but it helps. I've been seriously considering having her try no-poo, but I'm not sure how well she'd do with that. I'm trying it for myself, as I have scalp issues, and if I can get it working well for me, I might have her try it.

I did read something the other day about using a 1:1 ratio of water and white vinegar as a soak before shampooing, but I've not tried it. You mix it, rub it into the scalp (with finger tips, but not scratching, just rubbing), let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse, and shampoo.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Are you sure it's just dandruff? Probably, since you got a prescription...

I had scalp psoriasis and it looked like dandruff. Tgel and sunlight helped me.

Tgel smells but I found I could control it that way and use better smelling stuff most of the time. It's been gone for years though and I don't know why.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't do the no-poo thing, so I don't know about that. However, I would highly suggest going the all natural route and eliminating anything with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate.) That's what helped me the most. I use all natural, hand made shampoo bars with either pine tar or tea tee.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

Tgel smells but I found I could control it that way and use better smelling stuff most of the time. It's been gone for years though and I don't know why.
i was going to suggest this....it was the same for me. I found I could get away with t-gel once a week and supplement with t-sal (not as smelly, but not as strong)
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tea tree oil shampoo and a weekly treatment with zincon or a super strong dandruff shampoo. I've been having to do it since I was a teen and it's the only way I've found to keep it under control.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. It *is* psoriasis- that is what she was diagnosed with. I was out of it yesterday and posted quickly...

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. It seems like hers is getting worse now with puberty. It is also worse in winter. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. It *is* psoriasis- that is what she was diagnosed with. I was out of it yesterday and posted quickly...

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. It seems like hers is getting worse now with puberty. It is also worse in winter. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.
When I was young, they gave me a spray with a straw so that the spray got on the scalp. That helped a lot.

Being psoriasis, you want to wash less, I think. Keep some of the natural oils if you can. I wash my hair every other day.

Avoid dark colored shirts for awhile

And, this is weird, but when I'd get spots on my legs, I'd shave them off and they'd stay away, so I used to do some good head scratching sessions and scratch it off. Then sunlight.

And it's genetic, so make sure she knows that it's not her fault and she's not dirty or doing anything wrong in her bathing routine. I got it from my aunt - weird. Well, I mean, I guess my mom carried the gene too, but she didn't have it.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

There's a shampoo that the Jason brand makes..search on amazon, the reviews say it does wonders for psoriasis.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might have P.; but I'm not sure. I've had an itchy/dry/flaky scalp for yrs, & no otc shampoo helps. (like head & shoulders or natural TTO stuff.) anyways YDS has exema & nothing was working; so I finally came up w/the idea to mix a paste of oatmeal bath powder & water to apply to his head/body. It worked wonders! I decided to try it, & it definately helps! it's a pain in long hair, but worth it. apply massage in for a few mins, then wash as usual. I go 1-2 days between washing too. nak!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote