Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
mommy to 1
Registered Users

eating something expired

I ate some strawberry special k fruit crisps that were a few weeks expired. I figured my stomach can handle it and it's no big deal. Could this cause my baby to get sick? That night he threw up 3 times, first time this has happened. He's never been sick. He is 5.5 months old and today he is still showing some discomfort and is spitting up more than usual. I have also started giving him pears. I was going along with the 4 day rule. I didn't give him any pears yesterday which was the 4th day since he finished it the day before. Does this mean he is allergic? I'm not sure which one to think. If he's allergic or if he got sick from me eating something expired.

Advertisement

mommy to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: eating something expired

No, if there was bacteria or something in the food you ate, it should not have made its way into your milk. I would bet it was something else.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
duckmama
Registered Users

If only you ate it, no it would not cross into the breast milk. Food items only expired that short of a period do not typically make people sick in foods like that. We have stores that regularly sell items very recently expired (lower cost) and I don't know of anyone who has had a problem. Vomiting can be a sign of a food allergy. I would call the doctor if it continues otherwise do not retry pears until you talk to them.
duckmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would avoid pears and strawberries for now. Some babies cannot handle strawberries even if just the mama eats them. I doubt the expiration date mattered at all. I don't think that's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Things like dried cereals generally only taste "stale" but aren't actually dangerous when expired. As long as they remained "dry" they're likely fine.

I would suspect a food allergy. Either to the strawberries (if you haven't had them before) or the pears.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote