Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Morning sickness's upside; May lead to slightly brighter kids

Quote:
Morning sickness's upside; May lead to slightly brighter kids
Anonymous. The Gazette. Montreal, Que.: Apr 23, 2009. pg. A.12
Abstract (Summary)

[...] the children whose mothers had morning sickness scored higher on performance IQ (games and tasks), verbal fluency and "phonological processing" - how well children process the sounds of letters and letter combinations.
Jump to indexing (document details)
Full Text
(343 words)
Copyright CanWest Digital Media Apr 23, 2009

For every woman who has choked down dry toast to combat morning sickness comes new Canadian research suggesting an upside to pregnancy nausea: It may lead to brighter children.

Researchers at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children are reporting that babies born to women who experience morning sickness score higher on IQ tests when they're older.

The more severe the nausea and vomiting, the higher the scores.

The study, to be published today by the Journal of Pediatrics, is being described as the first to assess the impact of morning sickness on a child's brain development.

The study, which was partially funded by Duchesnay Inc., the Quebec drug company that markets Diclectin, the only approved drug for nausea in pregnancy, involved 121 women from 1998 to 2003.

The women and their babies were split into three groups: 45 mothers who experienced morning sickness who took Diclectin; 47 who had morning sickness but who didn't take the drug; and 29 women who didn't have any morning sickness at all.

The women had similar IQs and came from similar socioeconomic and educational backgrounds.

When the children were ages 3 to 7, they were tested.

All scored within the normal range of IQ. But the children whose mothers had morning sickness scored higher on performance IQ (games and tasks), verbal fluency and "phonological processing" - how well children process the sounds of letters and letter combinations. Taking Diclectin did not appear to have any negative effect on brain development, the researchers say.

"Probably even more interesting, the achievements of the babies of moms who did not have morning sickness were not as high," says Dr. Gideon Koren, director of the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids and the study's principal investigator.

"It's important to stress it was not mental retardation or anything," says Koren, an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Toronto who has been a paid consultant for Duchesnay.

The difference "wasn't clinically very important," he says. "It was a few points of IQ, and other functions such as language development."

Credit: Canwest News Service
Well this is GOOD news for me as I had horrible morning sickness each pregnancy.

Advertisement

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Morning sickness's upside; May lead to slightly brighter kids

Very interesting. Isn't Dicletin Unisom and Vitamin B or something like that? I'd love to see such a study using Zofran and Phenergan!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

omg, my kids are going to be GENIUSES! bahahaha. ok, no seriously, i have to go puke now....

do you happen to have the link to this study? because my mom had terrible morning sickness too (probably why i'm so smart ) and i would love to send it to her, she would think it was hilarious!
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

That's not good news! My kids are too smart as it is, they totally take advantage of me! Especially when I lay here like a queasy corpse all day! Lol!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Haha, my kids are pretty smart! LOL

There may be some connection here but dh has a high IQ and his mom never had a day of morning sickness with either of her pregnancies. And oddly, I had very little morning sickness this last pregnancy but was super sick with all my others, my last 2 being the worst (and both are quite bright, high IQs)...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
omg, my kids are going to be GENIUSES! bahahaha. ok, no seriously, i have to go puke now....

do you happen to have the link to this study? because my mom had terrible morning sickness too (probably why i'm so smart ) and i would love to send it to her, she would think it was hilarious!
I do but it's from a password protected site (online scholarly library from school) so I doubt you'd be able to get in it. Let me see if I can find it somewhere else that's public.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
I do but it's from a password protected site (online scholarly library from school) so I doubt you'd be able to get in it. Let me see if I can find it somewhere else that's public.
oh ok. well if you can find it great, if not, don't worry about it. i just thought it was interesting enough to send around to some people thanks!
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yay! I guess that means this little one is going to be smart I especially liked the "more severe, the higher the score" line. My kid is going to be a genius