Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
jnei
Registered Users
seller

What are longies? And other questions...

I'm new to cd with my first lil girl. Right now we're using gDiapers to kind of help transition into cd. I have ordered some pocket dipes (different brands to see what works best) and plan on trying some AIOs, but as a new cd mom - what did you find worked easiest for you? Also, could you explain why and any terminology that may be confusing?

If I'm using a pocket diaper, do I need to buy anything additional, like prefolds or extra inserts?

Why do some prefer prefolds/flats to pockets/AIOs?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure this out!

Advertisement

jnei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
jnei
Registered Users
seller

Anyone care to help?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are longies? And other questions...

Prefolds and flats are less expensive and easier to clean than pockets/ AIOs. That's why a lot of mama's go that route.

My stash started with BG 4.0's. I love them. I use the inserts they came with and have had no problems. Some mama's get microfiber stink, and so will use prefolds or flats in place of the insert- again- easier to clean because of the natural fibers.

I then bought a few prefolds and covers to expand my stash so I didn't use my BG's so much and wear them out too soon- when I started I had to do wash every day because of my small stash. I like the ease of prefolds. But then I HAD to try flats...

Flats are my favorite. I like to fold them, I love how easy they are to get clean, and how nice they smell and feel out of the dryer. They are also cheap, so I was able to get a dozen for $22. The only time I have to wash every day now is if I am sick and DH is on diaper duty- he only uses the BG's.

Longies are a whole 'nother ball game- they are wool or fleece pants that go on over a diaper, acting as both cover and clothing. Apparently very addicting... I admit I have been bit by that bug and started using fleece lately...

Hope that gets you started! And welcome!

Last edited by traderbren; 01-10-2012 at 07:33 AM.
traderbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
jnei
Registered Users
seller

So you can use prefolds and flats in other diapers as the insert/liner? For example, can you use a prefold to stuff a pocket dipe? Will prefolds and flats fit in a Flip or Fuzzibunz cover? What about the microfiber inserts that come with some diapers? You can switch those out with prefolds and flats?

I'm sooo sorry if I'm bothersome. )
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

Yes you can stuff pockets with anything you want.... Flats prefolds microfiber hemp or even a dish towel!!

Wool is addicting and expensive !! Longies act as pants and a diaper cover over a fitted or prefold. Once lanolized they are great for overnight don't leak and only have to be washed every couple of weeks. Just air out and use again !

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Carriebeth
Registered Users

I stuff my pockets with prefolds because the microfiber inserts weren't absorbent enough and/or didnt absorb quickly enough for his output. You could also use prefolds in the gdiaper...just fold the prefold in thirds and lay it in the cover like you do with the regular inserts. There are lots of ways to use prefolds..in the trifolded method or lots of different folds (theres many how-tos on youtube) with a snappy. We have done both and think both work at different times. Trifolding is easy and fast but using a snappy contains ebf much better in our experience and makes it much more likely to be able to re-use covers.
Carriebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
jnei
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!

My daughter will be starting day care soon. What would be the best option for daycare?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ask your daycare what they allow. Some are very restrictive and only allow for prestuffed pockets or AIOs.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnei
Thanks!

My daughter will be starting day care soon. What would be the best option for daycare?
I would only do AIOs or a prestuffed pocket for daycare as they're the easiest. We use BG 4.0s for daycare but a whole variety of other stuff for home. Like PP, I ventured out to keep from wearing our pockets out as fast and b/c trying new things is fun :-)
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
jnei
Registered Users
seller

So with flats/prefolds, I fold/wrap those around her tush, secure with a snappy and use a cover...right? Can I use any cover?