Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

What is the catch with Sunbaby Diapers?

They are SO cheap (and cute!) and I have heard good things....what is the catch?

Any reviews would be appreciated: the good, the bad and the ugly!

I have been here awhile but not CD'd yet and want to start with my baby boy coming in april/may. We have a very small budget, especially since DH is not really on board with CDing. I am afraid of getting sucked into diaper collecting. I would so much rather just find something affordable and effective and never have to switch.

I have always changed very frequently and am open to double stuffing for night or even using a different diaper for nighttime. Any thoughts would be helpful!!!

Advertisement

Totally new to cloth, so any advice and info is much appreciated!
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is the catch with Sunbaby Diapers?

Never had a sunbaby, but I belive they are the same as Alva's (someone correct me if I am wrong), but anyway, Alva has a ton of different colors/prints you can pick from and they are super cheap. I had some but sold them, but the inserts are nice. They have really cheap bamboo inserts too that people rave about. You're able to buy only a few vs sunbaby (from reading on the website) you buy more in packages.

Good luck with no getting sucked into the diaper collecting. The key for me is to sell and if I have money in PP, then I'm allowed to buy.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the catch with all of the cheaper China-made diapers is that they aren't going to last as long. I've been eying Sunbaby, Kawaii, Alva Baby, etc for a while now, because I have another LO on the way and the prices are so great, but I've heard a lot of mamas say they have trouble with leaking or the diaper wearing out even after a few months. Others don't seem to have any trouble. But I think at that price, it should be expected that they won't last as long as something like a bumGenius. You get what you pay for.

If you have a small budget, as did I when starting out CDing, but you want something that will last through your entire diapering days and even multiple children, prefolds or flats and a couple of good covers are a great option. But they're not as "easy" as pockets and AIOs.
SugarBooger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I have some alva wet bags. Right now all I can compare them too is my softbums shells. They definitely use a MUCH thinner pul and they also recommend warm washing and not hot washing. They don't come with a warranty like US brands. Some people have had delamanation trouble I've heard about, but keep in mind that alva manufactures go green pocket diapers, which many people seem to really like. My theory with the wet bag was that even if I had to replace them 3 times before potty training it would end up the same price as the more pricy ones but I would have to come up with less at once.

I will say though, prefolds and covers, or even flats are not as scary as they sound!
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
babylatch
Registered Users
seller

My friend had been using them for over two years and still going strong. I ordered 12 to increase my numbers. Also got 6 BGOS off the cotton babies sale.
babylatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The newer ones are great. I don't think there is a catch. They're actually fabulous diapers for the insanely cheap price.

I did get a bunch of older ones used, though, and they all delaminated and had shot elastic within a month. But they were the older version, like I said. Not the ones she sells on her web site now.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Ohh, on another note! While (for instance again, soft bums) shells are made in the us, their inserts are .....drum roll please.....made in china. And of you go all the way back, most materials are manufactured in china so unless your getting ( I'm sure there are others) where they claim to be woven in the USA, they should really be marketed as "manufactured in the USA using materials made in china"
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Ladyflower
Registered Users

I bought some on Ebay that I used heavily for daycare. I loved the cute prints. They held up great. I never had leaking issues as long as I added a doubler with the insert. As ds got older and more mobile I did have some issues with wing droop. I got under a year of use only because they are a smaller OS diaper, IMO. The rise is very short and ds started to get some serious plumbers crack so I had to stop using them. Around that time ds started trying to roll during diaper changes so I switched over to aplix dipes to make changes easier. For the price I do think they are a decent diaper, but I wouldn't expect to use them until potty training unless your LO has a short rise.
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like my Sunbabys (but my BG are definately my fav). I haven't had ANY issues with them. They're an inexpensive way to beef up or start a stash. Plus she has the cutest prints. She has two sizes now, one for smaller babies and one for larger. They are not the same as alvas. I've heard of mamas having issues with Alvas delaminating but they do replace them.

Last edited by ARogers; 01-10-2012 at 08:11 AM.
ARogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've noticed that, generally speaking, people who say that there is a catch are people that haven't used them.

I use both sunbaby and alvababy. I was having leak issues with sunbaby, but found that if I dry them in the dryer it reseals the PUL each time and greatly prevents leaks. Alva is much more reliable and bulletproof for naps, and the "color snap" series is our go to nighttime solution. None of mine have delaminated and I wash on hot. Every once in awhile you just get one with a bad batch of PUL, but Alva customer service is great and will replace the diaper for free. I couldn't use exclusively sunbaby because I can't trust them for naps or nighttime, but for a daytime solution they are great. I would definitely get some of both sunbaby and alvababy. and definitely get the 3-layer alvababy bamboo inserts!

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote