Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is the catch with Sunbaby Diapers?

Thanks for the feedback guys!!! I might have more questions on these, I still think I would like to try them.

Advertisement

Totally new to cloth, so any advice and info is much appreciated!
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

I only have sunbabys, alvas, and kawaiis in my stash. They truthfully are the only diapers that do not leak for my baby. She pees a lake everytime she goes. I've not had a problem with any of them and I've had them for about 7 months. I agree that people who say there's a catch are people who haven't tried them out. I think the only "catch" is that they are made in china.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
imnottelling
Registered Users

Don't have any Sunbabies (can you pluralize a brand name like that?) though I did try getting some from FSOT with no response a while back...
I have Alva wetbags which so far are great. I love the wet/dry option; many of the pricier ones are just wet bags with no separate pocket. This I can use as a quick diaper bag alone. I loved the wetbags so much I decided to try some diapers.
I spent under $35 and have 7 on the way...I hope to review them when I get a chance to use them.
I'm still contemplating BabyLand from hairworlds, but not taking the plunge yet.
And yesterday I ordered Kawaii newborn eco package for under $7/diaper because I do find the OS is bulky on my infant still. I hope to review those as well.

Right now I'm using prefolds and they're definitely the cheapest way. But if you are getting multiple size covers, do realize they will be bulky and you might need to have a few different size stashes anyway. Prefolds are not any harder in my opinion than pocket diapers. Instead of stuffing the diaper, you lay it on top. Also, with a fleece liner which you can do easily by cutting up a fleece blanket (or sweetbottoms sells it for under $1/liner), your baby's skin stays dry. I have no leaking issues with prefolds and a properly fitting cover.

The only reason I'm looking into pockets now is because my husband is too used to disposables and the idea of cloth diapers scares him.

I might be buying some FB perfect size smalls (w/o the inserts) from a friend which I'd use with the inserts from the Chinese manufacturers that everyone raves about.

Limit yourself how much you'll spend on a diaper. My budget is $7. Covers: $6 (since I need prefolds as well, but on the other hand, I can reuse the covers somewhat).

Honestly I think pockets are the least hard to get wrong. You don't have to play around too much with stuffing and whatever; You can just add on more cloth on top of the prefold as needed without worrying about running out of space, and washing is also a breeze. I'm biased because I'm used to it, I guess. Flats scare me too much in terms of the time it will take to fold it, while prefolds I do one handed while holding my baby.

Signed, a newbie to CDing
imnottelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I've tried just about everything on the market in my 5 years of CDing, and I LOVE sunbaby's! I have a whole stash of them, and two in cloth. I am HARD on my diapers - I wash on HOT, I bleach every time I wash, I don't use "cd-friendly" detergent, I dry on HOT, and I wash every other day! They take my abuse very well! I don't bother with inserts though, I go to Walmart and buy the 15 packs of microfiber towels in the automotive section for $10 - trifold them and stuff 2 in the sunbaby's. NEVER had a leak, and I have 2 heavy wetters!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
lissydoll
Registered Users
seller

i loved them, though dont use them anymore, they are cheap, so im not too upset about the issues i had, all but one of 12 has delaminated, and one since day one, leaked around the snaps. but go figure, they are ebay dipes.... if you dont have a huge budget they are effective, but probably wont last till potty training.

owner of Barabows boutique<all things girly> and i also do snap replacment and conversion.
lissydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
bellybellybuttons
Registered Users
Formerly: boobybaby
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only catch I see as compared to some of the other brands is that they don't fit much passed a medium size. We tried one on our 1.5 yr old and they didn't fit so I sold them. I would say they are a good choice from what I had seen.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

They fit my 3 year old. Now, she is small (30 pounds) but she has a long rise. There are different versions. The newer versions are bigger.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandive View Post
I've noticed that, generally speaking, people who say that there is a catch are people that haven't used them.

I use both sunbaby and alvababy. I was having leak issues with sunbaby, but found that if I dry them in the dryer it reseals the PUL each time and greatly prevents leaks. Alva is much more reliable and bulletproof for naps, and the "color snap" series is our go to nighttime solution. None of mine have delaminated and I wash on hot. Every once in awhile you just get one with a bad batch of PUL, but Alva customer service is great and will replace the diaper for free. I couldn't use exclusively sunbaby because I can't trust them for naps or nighttime, but for a daytime solution they are great. I would definitely get some of both sunbaby and alvababy. and definitely get the 3-layer alvababy bamboo inserts!
I had a dozen of them- the newer version- 6 purchased off FSOT and 6 through a co-op. I hang my pockets to dry and they leaked like crazy! Maybe that is why?
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
I had a dozen of them- the newer version- 6 purchased off FSOT and 6 through a co-op. I hang my pockets to dry and they leaked like crazy! Maybe that is why?
I bet! Run them through the dryer, I bet they won't leak! I always dry my PUL for this reason!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebymommy View Post
I bet! Run them through the dryer, I bet they won't leak! I always dry my PUL for this reason!
I don't even have them anymore- they drove me crazy! I use all OS pockets- Bg 4.0, Smartipants, and Preston's Pants and love them- and they are never in the dryer.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote