Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd like to continue to be a SAHM but I need to be a WAHM

I was wondering how you other WAHM's do it? We cannot continue to be a single income family and I don't want to have to work JUST to pay daycare. I'd rather work from home, I can knit and crochet I just don't have a lot of yarn on hand. What do you guys do? Any suggestions? I need to be able to make at least 200-300 a month..

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'd like to continue to be a SAHM but I need to be a WAHM

I think one of the first things you should do is set some detailed goals. I'm in direct sales I wasn't as profitable as I needed to be until I started making smart, detailed goals.
The best piece of advice I found was to make a goal that is specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely.
Specific- Know what you want to accomplish (Make 200-300 a month profit)Measurable-Keep track of your progress (How many knit items do you need to sell to reach said goal. Taking into account the cost of supplies and shipping) Achievable - Challenge yourself, but still make the goal attainable. Realistic- Choose a goal within your reach that you're willing to commit to. Timely- Set a deadline to create a sense of urgency.
The New Spring Catalog is HERE! For every $31 you spend in March get your choice of seven totes at 50% OFF! Thirty-One Gifts All DS mama's who host a catalog party with me earn DOUBLE in Free Hostess Credit. Looking to earn some extra money? Join my team in March and get your kit for FREE. Ask me how.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Hi! I'm a WOHM, but I had a business license for a couple years so that I could teach dance from my house. In Tennessee if you make over (I think) $1500 in a year you'll need to get a state license, and depending on where you live, you may need a license from your county. You may also need to let them know that you are using your personal property for business purposes, and they may adjust your property taxes. It's a royal PITA. Make SURE you keep records of everything--it is worth the time to become a detailed book keeper. You will also want to make sure that you are adhering to all of the tax laws in the state. I would recommend finding a small business association in your area (there's some stuff online, also) that can assist you with what you need to know. You may, for instance, be required to pay taxes 4 times a year instead of making one lump sum payment at the end of the year. Regardless, be sure you budget taxes into your monthly income, and that you set the necessary amount aside on a weekly/monthly basis so that you are not hit with a major expense at the end of the year. ETA...also make sure you keep ALL your expense receipts as those are tax-deductible, and if you make goods for charity (e.g. baby hats for hospitals, etc...) make sure you write down the value of those items and have the document initialled by someone at the charity, or get a charity receipt. Those are all tax-deductible expenses. You may also be able to deduct travel to the craft store to get supplies, you can deduct advertising, you can deduct office supplies that are used for your business, etc...

Of course, there are always the traditional WAHM sales things like Avon, Scentsy, Dove Chocolates, etc... but be aware that in order to really excell at something like that you ideally should 1) be outgoing; 2) know alot of people who know alot of people who like the things you are selling; 3) be willing to pester friends and family initially; 4) be willing to get outside your circle of friends in order to expand your customer base.

I'm interested to hear how you do. I'm learning to crochet and knit, and though of course I'm not looking to sell my stuff I'm interested to see how you develop a sustainable business from crafting. I don't know how ETSY works, either, in regards to the need for a license or tax laws, etc...I don't know if you need a state license to sell on etsy or not. Interesting question.

Oh--and step 1 is ALWAYS make a business plan...

Anyway, where in Tennessee are you located? I'm in Knoxville.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com

Last edited by dancermommy1; 01-10-2012 at 09:51 AM.
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

babysit most likely.

Making things, from what I can tell takes awhile to make any real money from it. I wouldn't go that route.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

I WAHM sewing for a business that is not my own and earn $250/week. She tried several other ladies before I came along and most of them missed deadlines and didn't turn in satisfactory products. I never miss my weekly deadline with her and I set sewing goals every day that I reach before going to bed. Even if that means it's 2 a.m. I treat it like any "real" job that I've had in the past. You have to be pretty disciplined to work from home. From what my boss says, most can't do it. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want you to be realistic in how you approach it. I am also working to build a photography business as a backup plan. I have a degree and background in business but found I didn't really love it. It is much better to choose a field that you are passionate about or have interest in. As for my photography business, I already had a good camera and loved taking pictures for fun. I offered to do friend's pics for free to build a portfolio and one of the friends that I shot created a website for me in exchange. I am very careful to save any receipts and expenses to write off since I'm not paying taxes on income.

Prior to WAH I worked for a large corporation full time straight out of college, when I quit I knew I had to find PT work. So...I basically swallowed my pride and went to work for a drop in daycare. I worked 2 nights a week, Fri and Sat. I also considered and applied to 2 mother's day out programs. Typically you get free tuition for your own kids and make about $10/hour in our area. For us, I must work so I'll always do what I have to. I'm more than grateful for the job I have now. It is simply a blessing from God in how I got it and how much money I'm able to earn.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't really encourage the knitting or crochet either. I have thought about both those things as extra income ideas and after looking around at people's prices, I realize that you very rarely get decent pay for the amount of time you put in. I also think direct sales are a bad idea. Very, very few people make any kind of money in that and your friends kinda start to hate you.

I wahm as a tutor for tutor.com. It's awesome--super flexible, I can get as many hours as I want (up to 30 per week), I do it when kids are sleeping, and I really enjoy it. It's also intellectually stimulating, which is nice. You have to have a bachelors degree and pass some tests to get hired--the hiring process was kind of a bear, but it's totally worth it! To make $200-$300 a month, you would only have to work about 5-8 hours a week, way less than you would work making the same amount from knitting or crochet.

I also have an etsy shop where I sell felt stockings at Christmas time. I make enough to pay for a nice Christmas and then some. That one is stressful, but I can handle it for a few months out of the year. (I honestly don't know how wahms sew year round--I just don't like sewing enough to do it very single day.)

Some other ideas: babysitting is a good one. I've also thought sometimes about house cleaning, because I like to clean. I've seen people who have laundering/ironing services. Look on Craigslist in the domestic gigs section. You might be able to find some odd jobs or ideas there. Good luck!

Last edited by NorahsMom; 01-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
NorahsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, I live in Cookeville which is a much smaller place than Knoxville. I don't have my bachelors yet because I was in college when I got pregnant. And my degree with takes longer than 4 years so I am trying to hold off till my son gets in school.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I work from home but I have skills most don't have (I am software engineer).

If you do have a skill that is "contractable" (someone would pay you to do it on at least a 1099 basis), then I'd google for agencies that subcontract you out for work you can do from home. Generally that leads to full time work for short periods of time (3-6 months) but you could make a year's worth of $300/mo in one contract and then not work for the rest of the year. Your choice.

Otherwise, I'd do something like babysitting. $2-300 is fairly easy to accumulate. At $8/hr, that is just under 10hrs a week. I see lots of people in my area asking for child care services on our online marketplace on FB, but you could certainly post ads anywhere that makes sense for your community.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You could definitely make that much and more with direct sales. It won't be overnight though, but definitely with a couple of months depending on how much you put into it.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
JHanes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am glad to see some answers to questions like this. I too need to start looking at supplementing our income. I will be babysitting for a few weeks until Christmas, but will hopefully start my WAHM business in 2013! Yay for goals! Good luck mama
JHanes is offline   Reply With Quote