Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Randijo2's Avatar
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 80
Question about prepping

Hi all! I'm new to this and have diapers on the way and my detergent on the way (Country Save) I am wondering... do you have to use detergent while prepping or can you just use water? Also how many times is it usually necessary to wash for prepping. And one more question... When you buy used do you do anything special to make sure there's no bacteria in there from the last user? Thanks so much for any input!

Randi

Advertisement

Randijo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
RockinLou's Avatar
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Posts: 5,465
Re: Question about prepping

Yes, use detergent to prep.

How many preps depends upon the materials.

Used diapers do not need prepping, but I always wash used with 1/8 cup of bleach before use, just because.

WELCOME to the madness!!
__________________
Wife, Mother, WAHM, and cding nut!
DD 1-27-09 DS 6-8-11
My IHA: http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...psca99bf95.jpg
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Randijo2's Avatar
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 80
Re: Question about prepping

Thanks for your response! The washing and drying of cloth dipes is definitely the most intimidating thing about them!
Randijo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
AudreyNola's Avatar
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adairville, KY
Posts: 381
Re: Question about prepping

I've never bought new pfs, so I've never had to do any major prepping. That said, I did just recently read that you should wash and dry the diapers several times. I'd always assumed you could just wash them several times in a row. I'd love to know if that's the way everyone does it, and/or why its important to also dry while prepping.
__________________
Audrey, mom to Wyatt, 12/06, and Levi, 5/12.
AudreyNola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slytherin House
Posts: 15,946
My Mood:
Re: Question about prepping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randijo2 View Post
Hi all! I'm new to this and have diapers on the way and my detergent on the way (Country Save) I am wondering... do you have to use detergent while prepping or can you just use water? Also how many times is it usually necessary to wash for prepping. And one more question... When you buy used do you do anything special to make sure there's no bacteria in there from the last user? Thanks so much for any input!

Randi
Like a pp said, yes, use detergent and it all depends on what kinds of diapers you're prepping! What did ya get?

Whenever I buy used, I strip the diapers (hot wash with a squirt or two of blue Dawn dish detergent... not too much, because of the suds... then rinse until all suds are gone), then I wash them with a little bleach & another hot wash. Rinse until any hint of bleach smell is gone. It's important to properly sanitize used diapers because you can't be too careful with something that holds poop & pee, you know?
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Randijo2's Avatar
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 80
Re: Question about prepping

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNola View Post
I've never bought new pfs, so I've never had to do any major prepping. That said, I did just recently read that you should wash and dry the diapers several times. I'd always assumed you could just wash them several times in a row. I'd love to know if that's the way everyone does it, and/or why its important to also dry while prepping.
I assumed it was just several washes in a row also... guess I'll have to do more research on that now too! Yippee! lol
Randijo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Randijo2's Avatar
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 80
Re: Question about prepping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Like a pp said, yes, use detergent and it all depends on what kinds of diapers you're prepping! What did ya get?

Whenever I buy used, I strip the diapers (hot wash with a squirt or two of blue Dawn dish detergent... not too much, because of the suds... then rinse until all suds are gone), then I wash them with a little bleach & another hot wash. Rinse until any hint of bleach smell is gone. It's important to properly sanitize used diapers because you can't be too careful with something that holds poop & pee, you know?
I got mainly pockets... but a bunch of different brands. I wanted to try out a bunch of different ones. Alvas, BG, FB, Sunbaby, Grovia, Swaddlebees, and a Babyland just for fun lol. Oh and I did get one applique diaper. Thanks for all your tips!!
Randijo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.