Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller

Question about prepping

Hi all! I'm new to this and have diapers on the way and my detergent on the way (Country Save) I am wondering... do you have to use detergent while prepping or can you just use water? Also how many times is it usually necessary to wash for prepping. And one more question... When you buy used do you do anything special to make sure there's no bacteria in there from the last user? Thanks so much for any input!

Randi

Advertisement

Randijo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about prepping

Yes, use detergent to prep.

How many preps depends upon the materials.

Used diapers do not need prepping, but I always wash used with 1/8 cup of bleach before use, just because.

WELCOME to the madness!!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your response! The washing and drying of cloth dipes is definitely the most intimidating thing about them!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

I've never bought new pfs, so I've never had to do any major prepping. That said, I did just recently read that you should wash and dry the diapers several times. I'd always assumed you could just wash them several times in a row. I'd love to know if that's the way everyone does it, and/or why its important to also dry while prepping.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randijo2 View Post
Hi all! I'm new to this and have diapers on the way and my detergent on the way (Country Save) I am wondering... do you have to use detergent while prepping or can you just use water? Also how many times is it usually necessary to wash for prepping. And one more question... When you buy used do you do anything special to make sure there's no bacteria in there from the last user? Thanks so much for any input!

Randi
Like a pp said, yes, use detergent and it all depends on what kinds of diapers you're prepping! What did ya get?

Whenever I buy used, I strip the diapers (hot wash with a squirt or two of blue Dawn dish detergent... not too much, because of the suds... then rinse until all suds are gone), then I wash them with a little bleach & another hot wash. Rinse until any hint of bleach smell is gone. It's important to properly sanitize used diapers because you can't be too careful with something that holds poop & pee, you know?
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNola View Post
I've never bought new pfs, so I've never had to do any major prepping. That said, I did just recently read that you should wash and dry the diapers several times. I'd always assumed you could just wash them several times in a row. I'd love to know if that's the way everyone does it, and/or why its important to also dry while prepping.
I assumed it was just several washes in a row also... guess I'll have to do more research on that now too! Yippee! lol
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Randijo2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Like a pp said, yes, use detergent and it all depends on what kinds of diapers you're prepping! What did ya get?

Whenever I buy used, I strip the diapers (hot wash with a squirt or two of blue Dawn dish detergent... not too much, because of the suds... then rinse until all suds are gone), then I wash them with a little bleach & another hot wash. Rinse until any hint of bleach smell is gone. It's important to properly sanitize used diapers because you can't be too careful with something that holds poop & pee, you know?
I got mainly pockets... but a bunch of different brands. I wanted to try out a bunch of different ones. Alvas, BG, FB, Sunbaby, Grovia, Swaddlebees, and a Babyland just for fun lol. Oh and I did get one applique diaper. Thanks for all your tips!!