Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nap struggles...

Ds is almost 10 months and he STILL barely takes a couple 30 min catnaps during the day. Sometimes late in the afternoon I can get him to sleep longer but I usually have to hold him. Even wearing him he tends to nap briefly. I guess I thought I could do stuff while he napped but moving around wakes him.

I've tried staying at home to set a routine but it hasn't helped. I let him fuss but it doesn't take long before he's really crying so I go get him. I can get him to sleep and even into his crib but he doesn't stay asleep. I put him down with a paci but he never has it when he wakes.

I can't nurse him on a bed and leave him. I can't nap with him (I have 2 older boys and we hs)

I just don't know what to do. He gets grumpy and needs sleep but wakes so quickly. How can I help him stay asleep longer? I'm so exhausted!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nap struggles...

Have you tried a white noise machine or something like that?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I don't know his sleeping arrangements, but my napping kids always get an almost pitch black room with a fan on so it dampens the noise of my older yelling kids. It works well in this house!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have tried a white noise machine but I will try the darkening shades/curtains with white noise. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy View Post
I don't know his sleeping arrangements, but my napping kids always get an almost pitch black room with a fan on so it dampens the noise of my older yelling kids. It works well in this house!
Yeah, my napper won't go to bed without any of that.

Hope it works for you, OP! My baby will wake up at the drop of a hat so I understand your frustration.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ugh...tried the blackout shades AND a fan this morning and he slept all of 15 minutes. And my loudest kid was at preschool so the house was quiet. Gggrrr. I love this kid but he wears me OUT!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can you get some bed rails so that you can leave him on the bed?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
What about crib toys?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You said he gets grumpy because he doesn't sleep enough...I know you babywear a lot, so what happens if you when he's grumpy you just put him on your back again? Will he fall back asleep? Just wondering...my 3rd is 7 months now and I finally just gave into the fact that she doesn't sleep for very long. With DS I struggled and struggled (like you are now) until he was 2 to get him to take a good nap. It stressed me out and I resented him for it, because he would never sleep without the boob or me in bed with him. Now with this baby I have given up (in?) and I just wear her around all day. If she is grumpy, she goes on my back. She will fall asleep in a little while. Sometimes she sleeps in the car. If I put her in bed, she will sleep 30ish minutes. On my back, 30ish minutes. She is a cat napper and it works well for us. If you can I would try just un-stressing about it and letting him cat nap on your back. Maybe that will work? I just totally know how you feel because I did it forever with DS. It sucks to be trying to hard to get your LO to sleep all day!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow
You said he gets grumpy because he doesn't sleep enough...I know you babywear a lot, so what happens if you when he's grumpy you just put him on your back again? Will he fall back asleep? Just wondering...my 3rd is 7 months now and I finally just gave into the fact that she doesn't sleep for very long. With DS I struggled and struggled (like you are now) until he was 2 to get him to take a good nap. It stressed me out and I resented him for it, because he would never sleep without the boob or me in bed with him. Now with this baby I have given up (in?) and I just wear her around all day. If she is grumpy, she goes on my back. She will fall asleep in a little while. Sometimes she sleeps in the car. If I put her in bed, she will sleep 30ish minutes. On my back, 30ish minutes. She is a cat napper and it works well for us. If you can I would try just un-stressing about it and letting him cat nap on your back. Maybe that will work? I just totally know how you feel because I did it forever with DS. It sucks to be trying to hard to get your LO to sleep all day!
Your right I should unstress about it. Occasionally he will nap longer when I wear him but often my older 2 will wake him up. I think what stresses me is that I know I need to do school work with my oldest and I was hoping to do it while he napped. I guess I should wear him but it often distracts ods. We may reconsider HS anyway so we'll see.

I'm nursing him in the chair right now but I can tell if I try to put him down he'll wake up. It's just I have a lot to do today! I'm having a 40th bday party for DH tonight and need to work on that!