Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
AQW
Registered Users
seller

Leave daycare we love to save $$? WWYD?

I am going back to work in 2 weeks and I am freaking about the daycare cost at our current center. So I meet with someone that does it in home. Obviously there is a cost difference. We could save $680 a month while DS2 and DS3 are full time and about $400 a month when DS2 starts school in the fall. I don't really make much (but have no desire to be a sahm) because I am early in my career. Daycare is a large part of our expenses. And we have debt, don't own our home and both need new cars. Not to mention just the general cost of life and the fact that we have never had extra money, ever.

The thing that is so hard is I love our daycare. It feels like home. I like that the kids grow up together and we all generally live within a few miles of each other. And I like centers in general, I like the structure, the learning, and that there are so many things to do and friends to play with. But I have never had an infant in a center, we started both at 18 months. Sometimes I wonder if it really matters with a baby that young?

The women I met has a almost 6 month old baby and a son the same age as DS2. They hit it off. They would start kindergarten together and could ride the bus together which would be cool. She has infant room experience and home daycare experience. It's very close to out home. The one draw back I see is her home is very small so the play area is tiny. But the yard is big and neighborhood is good. They are renting so they could move in the future.

We really cannot afford our daycare but I hate making such an important decision for our kids based on money. I did like the women I met but it will never be like a center. But am I over rating being at a center? In home has always made nervous but I think their could be benefits too. WWYD? What have been your opinions about in-home vs center?

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Leave daycare we love to save $$? WWYD?

Is the home center Registered or Licensed with the state? If it is registered or licensed, it complies to the same health and safety standards as licensed centers. What did you think of the home? I would chose a home daycare if I did not stay at home, but with that said, there are good ones and bad ones of both. A good at home daycare will have more one on one teaching, healthier home cooked meals, and a homey-loving feel.
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not do a non registered or licensed home, though.
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would also take other things into consideration as well....do a pros vs cons for the home center vs daycare. Taking things into consideration like how often will the home center close for illness of the provider or her child. Do each of them expect to be paid for holidays or days not used? What are the differences in sick policy...how sick can your child before being sent home...will a cold keep them out of care or a fever..ect. How much socialization will your children get? How much supervision will they have? Who will watch the kids while the provider uses the bathroom or is dealing with a sick child? What are the hours? Can they attend on days you are not working or does the provider only take kids if the parents are actually at work? 600 dollars is a lot of money...for me that is half of my biweekly pay but I would also question the benefits of centers over a home center.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
winodini
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann
I would also take other things into consideration as well....do a pros vs cons for the home center vs daycare. Taking things into consideration like how often will the home center close for illness of the provider or her child. Do each of them expect to be paid for holidays or days not used? What are the differences in sick policy...how sick can your child before being sent home...will a cold keep them out of care or a fever..ect. How much socialization will your children get? How much supervision will they have? Who will watch the kids while the provider uses the bathroom or is dealing with a sick child? What are the hours? Can they attend on days you are not working or does the provider only take kids if the parents are actually at work? 600 dollars is a lot of money...for me that is half of my biweekly pay but I would also question the benefits of centers over a home center.
Great questions to Ask. I've never had good luck with private in home providers who as
Los had kids at home; undependable and the "daycare kids" took the flack for everything. Of you haves center you trust and can afford, I'd stick with them.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I would try to save money. I would like for the person to be registered if I don't know them or some childcare assistance requires it. I would thoroughly discuss my ideas of what I want and see if they meet.
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I am a huge fan of in home day care , although for me having them be registered isn't a necessity. My daughter has literally been raised as part of her sitters family and I could not be more grateful for that bond. She has no idea that her sitters kids aren't her siblings also. I cannot say enough for that.
I would definitely consider it. Maybe meet with her and her kids a few more times and see how those interactions go?
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have had two in a home daycare and one in a center and both have their pros and cons. I liked the home setting when they were babies but I loved the center when they were older for the education. I think more has to do with money than anything it sounds. If you cannot afford the center then the stress level in your house will be high and the kids will feel it. I say do a play date with the mom and see if you like her first. You my have your mind made up for you one way or another
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love our home daycare! Licensing depends on your area. Where I live, licensing is only needed if you take 5 or more daycare kids, so it is normal not to be licensed and not a red flag at all. Centers give me the heebie Jeebies, though, so I'm a home childcare girl all the way. To me, it's the next best thing to being home. He gets individualized attention, they do fun crafts and learning activities, and the dcp is probably a way better mom than I am. I love her SO much! Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by myoo; 04-08-2014 at 07:43 AM.
myoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Ask her about claiming the money for tax purposes. In order for you to get the child care credit, you will need her ss # to do your taxes and she will have to claim the money as income on hers.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote