Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Crackedpolystrene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Going back to school...

About a month before baby is due, I start back to school. All classes are online. It'll be tough, I know. But everyone around me is so discouraging about it! I mean, I do have my fiancé to help too! I just want to better our lives as soon as possible (not that it's so terrible right now, but still)

Have any of you attended school shortly after having a baby & how did itwork out for you?

Advertisement

Crackedpolystrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have taken classes shortly after having DS1 and I am back in school now (boys are 2 and 4). I have done fine. Finding the time to do the schoolwork after working all day and then taking care of DS1 was hard but doable. DS1 was very high needs so it made it difficult. Don't get me wrong, it is totally doable, it just takes determination. I prefer to go to class instead of taking online classes, but that is because I am an auditory learner.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going back to school...

Nolan was about 6 months when I went back. Working full time + a full time course load was/is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it *can* be done. Especially if your partner is supporitive and helpful. You both have to be dedicated to it though to make it work.
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

I hate to be another downer on your parade, but how long is your maternity leave going to be? If you aren't taking enough time off from work to get into a good schedule, classes may not be the best idea. If you have any complications in any of your plans, you will probably end up dropping classes if you have too many and that will seriously affect your GPA and finances. I would only take one to be honest.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't listen to those around you that are discouraging!

I started online classes when my daughter was 3-4 months old. This was like 5 years ago, yes. it was A LOT easier before she became a mobile baby. I tried to fit it all in during naps or at night, but had to eventually find somebody to watch her on my "catch-up day". I wasn't working full time at the time. I eventually just quit because I had lost interest in the program.

I returned to school full time a year ago, though. I took off two terms for my complicated pregnancy. This month, I'm starting to take new classes again & expecting a new baby here in a few days. I think with the sleepy newborn stage, as long as baby is healthy, there's enough time to do at least a couple classes.

Good luck to ya!
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
drea2281
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been in school with women who had 2-3 young kids and although its tough as hell they have never regretted doing it. I say as long as you've got some support and enough determination, go for it. Just remember that it only gets better.
drea2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

I was in my last semester of my masters when DS3 was born. I did as much work ahead as I could and planned to not do schoolwork for a couple weeks right after he was born. It worked ok. Newborns sleep A LOT! The last week of the semester I did end up hiring a lady to help so I could crank out the work and get everything in before the end. I did! If I only had the one baby though, I probably wouldn't have needed to do that. It was the older kids who made it hard to do schoolwork .

Invest in a good baby carrier and you should be just fine. I remember spending a lot of time standing with the baby in a carrier, rocking bank and forth while reading and/or working on the computer (on the kitchen counter).
B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
fluffykins
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpolystrene View Post
About a month before baby is due, I start back to school. All classes are online. It'll be tough, I know. But everyone around me is so discouraging about it! I mean, I do have my fiancé to help too! I just want to better our lives as soon as possible (not that it's so terrible right now, but still)

Have any of you attended school shortly after having a baby & how did itwork out for you?
You can absolutely do it! Do you have any other children? If it'll just be you and baby, I might recommend babywearing (actually I highly recommend that either way) in order to be hands free and do schoolwork and get other things done. Make yourself a schedule. If you have to, set aside a day or two a week to go to the library to do homework. Even if you don't have to to, it might help you focus better.

Honestly, I think just doing online classes (and no face to face) is harder than having at least some face to face time. Being on campus gives you dedicated work time for your school work. Plus, I've noticed online classes also tend to have a lot of busywork. Finally, you have to schedule all that time yourself and it's easy to put your school work off.

I have three jobs (one full and two part time) and I take 12 credit hours a semester with three children ages 4 months, 4, and 8. You can do it.
fluffykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

I haven't attended school after having a baby, but newborns sleep a lot so you should have more than enough time to do your classes! Just take it slow and don't expect to be supermom (none of us are lol).
AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You can do it! I took classes online through my whole pregnancy and afterwards. A month before my due date i worked ahead a few weeks so I missed a few class chats while i was in the hospital and first home but I had my assignments done so I only lost a few participaron points. After about a week I was back in the swing of things and would sit at the computer and do my work while ds nursed. By the time ds was a month old I was back to work ft and back to my ft class schedule. I won't lie and say it's easy, it's a lot of work but it was worth it! I graduated when ds was 9 months old and got a much better job with my degree.