Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How close to due date did you keep working?

I worked as an er nurse until a few days before I delivered for my first. Despite excellent nutrition and good weight gain, my baby came home from the hospital at 5 lb 10 oz. at term. For my second, I was on bedrest at 22 weeks, delivering at 28 weeks (twins who ultimately did not survive) so for my fourth, I cut down my hours from the start, went on "light duty" at 7 months, just doing paperwork part time until eight months, then had a planned c-section 2 weeks later. It was worth it; I got a 7 lb baby, (2 weeks early). I came to the conclusion that working 30 hours a week doing physical work (like bedside nursing) does not help when your babies are going to be small to begin with. (I was a few ounces under 7 pounds myself, we don't grow 'em very big here)

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

I worked until the day my water broke. Then, when contractions didn't start and the OB said to just try and chill out and wait, I went in to work, cleaned up a bunch of stuff, and talked with my co-workers about what needed to be done going forward. I still get grief about that sometimes - they couldn't believe I came in after my water broke. I couldn't handle the sitting around and waiting, though. I need to be busy when I am anxious.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a scheduled C-section (breech) so I took off work the day before to prepare. Otherwise, I planned on working as long as I could. When we have #2 (hoping for a VBAC), I'll work as long as I can. I don't want to use vacation time, or my FMLA time to just sit at home and wait. I want to use it to spend with my baby!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

My plan is to work up to my due date!! I wish I could keep going until he is born, but in my field, I really can't do that. So I hope he is on time, so I am not using the little time I have at home sitting and waiting!!!!
Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I worked until 3 days before my first was born at 39weeks 4 days, however the last month or so I was on a heavily modified schedule.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #36
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With dd i stopped working at 37 weeks but only because they made me (high risk pregnancy) and didn't deliver till 39 & 4 days; but with ds I worked Monday & Tuesday, Wednesday I turned 39 weeks and delivered him that day.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS1, I taught (college classes- not physically demanding) the day before he was born, so 42w4d. I hadn't told anyone at work my real EDD, though, and they understood I would probably be working until the baby arrived.

With DS2, it worked out that I could take the semester off. And DS3 was born over the summer when I usually don't teach anyway.
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I worked until my supervisor was in the office one day and saw that my contractions were making me cry while I was talking to a client on the phone. I'd been telling her I needed to be done because I knew I was getting too distracted to properly help people. So, we were wrapping things up so the temp. advocate could cover for me and I'd been planning for the day after that to be my last day (my due date). However, she said..."I think we got this! Call Eva, start your leave today" I was relieved!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #39
crunch!910
Registered Users

I plan on working up until the day I go into labor. I can't afford ANY maternity leave, truly, so that's the only plan we can make. If I can't work that far, I don't know what we'll do. We have bills we have to pay, and we live paycheck to paycheck every month, and some of our bills must be paid out of savings, even. The nature of my job is physical, I'm on my feet all day and I'm not sure how much help I'll be as I get bigger. :s
Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I worked Thursday, was off Friday for Good Friday, and had the baby on Easter Sunday! Ironic, no?

Sent from my bed or on the move.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote