Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

Infrequent nurser?

DS will be 11 months in a few days. We went to the doctor a week ago and the Dr. said that he went from 50% for weight down to 35% for weight. He wasn't concerned, but I am. DS is 90% for height so this makes for a skinny looking kiddo. Lately he has been really not interrested in nursing. I send 10 oz with him to daycare (8hours) and most days he only has two of the three bottles. He eats rediculous amounts of food though. I wouldn't say we BLW because we don't give him big peices of whatever we're eating, but DS feeds himself mashed foods and finger foods so he is controlling what he's taking in. In a day he eats 4-6 baby bullet servings of solids. (I think they're 2 oz each so 8-12 oz of solids). I always offer breast before solids. Tonight I was concerned because when I went to offer to nurse before bed he refused. I rocked him for a bit and then put him in is crib and he just went to sleep. It makes me feel like he doesn't need me anymore.... Any other mommys go through this? Did anyone have a little one wean this early? I was hoping to get to two years.... Is it just a phase because he recently started crusing?

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Infrequent nurser?

Is this a recent thing? I don't know about nursing because I had to pump for dd but I do notice that she goes theough stages where she grows in height and doesn't want to eat much then has a weight growth spurt where she seems like she is always hungry.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Until 12 months babies are supposed to get 90% of their calories from breastmilk or formula. You could cut back a little on the amount of solids you offer him and encourage him to nurse more. If you're concerned about weight just be sure that the solids you offer him are calorie dense, so it's "More bang for your buck." Sweet potatoes, avocado, beans, are things that come to mind that would have more calories per ounce than say fruits/green beans. Definitely keep nursing or offering to nurse him before you offer solids.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I think it is common for many babies to go through a disinterested phase around 10-14 months or so. Many mothers who would like to wean around 12 months find this to be a convenient time to do so. Many others think that they have to wean when this happens. But you don't have to wean if you don't want to. Continue to offer, continue to pump to maintain your supply, continue to allow nursing for comfort as well as nutrition (because he will be getting more and more nutrition elsewhere as he gets older).

My first child did not have a disinterested phase. She was always all about the boobies. But my 2nd did around 14 months. For me, it was a priority to nurse for at least 2 years, so I continued to pump and to offer. And after a few weeks she came through the other side.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
Is this a recent thing? I don't know about nursing because I had to pump for dd but I do notice that she goes theough stages where she grows in height and doesn't want to eat much then has a weight growth spurt where she seems like she is always hungry.
This seems exactly right! DS just shot up overnight to over 30 in tall! I'll be packing more calorie dense foods. (I just bought some avocados) And I'll discuss with the sitter how she is giving solids.