Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you spend without dh freaking?

We both take care of bills and monitor our accounts but DH is the one pulling me back from being a big spender. What I do is buy and then tell. And when I tell, I need to make it logical for his brain, which I usually can do since I know him so well and have figured out how his mind works. Once, right after he told me 'no more', I bought more and when he foudn out, he was REALLY mad! He forgave me of course and we put it behind us but I won't do that again. Originally, since we found out we are having a girl, he gave me a $100 limit for buying girl stuff. After a few purchases, I just told him 'no, I just can't stick to that budget but I will be reasonable and I won't go overboard.' I haven't gone overboard and most of what I have for baby is second-hand or borrow with a few new things and I have stopped buying anything now. I know how much you get when baby arrives from friends and family. I'm on my last of the gifts given to DS and he's a year! I've hardly bought any clothes for him!
Ya, so that's what I do, buy and then tell. My DH is pretty even-keel so he doesn't get upset at me easily. Hee hee He told me 'no more swaddles!' and I agree, I have an addiction to swaddle blankets and just bought 3 girlie print Aden and Anais Bamboo swaddles! Love them! We have about 15 swaddles now!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayla View Post
I get a lot of nb pfs and covers from consignment stores, he can't complain about that. I am going to spend a lot here in a minute. I figured $145 for 6 diapers, custom dyed yarn and a romper to be knit isn't SO bad. THat's about all I am spending for this LOs whole stash. THe rest is left over from DD1/bought cheap so he doesn't say anything. Also, he knows how much sposies cost. IF you think about it, it's at least $80-$100 each month. Think of what you could buy in cloth for that
Oh gods yes. I had budgeted with DD1 on sposies and BFing, and when BFing failed, I HAD to figure something else out, because I was spending about $12 for off brand sposies that lasted 5 days, and $30 for formula that would only last about the same, plus wipes and diaper genie refills, vaseline and diaper cream, it was just a fortune. That's 72 dollars in cheap sposies alone per month. Once she got bigger and I could get the larger packs that went down a little, but still. That's also before taxes and prices from 4 years ago, the prices have gone up since.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama
We have a baby line in the budget that I'm pretty much free to spend up to that limit every month on what I feel I need for the baby. He leaves most of the decisions for that stuff on me because he knows I've done all the research on it. So long as I don't go over that budget without discussing it with him, it's a non-issue.

Plus, I'm free to B/S/T all of my current stash. So when I sell something, I use that PP to buy more CDs.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't ask, i just order if I think it is something we need. If it is something i want, then i make sure we have the money for it. I don't generally tell him how much any of it costs, and since i handle the budget, he never knows otherwise. I am usually pretty up front with him though, and he just rolls his eyes. He knows i'm not going to spend money i shoudn't.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
framus
** Do Not FSOT with this member~ Contact Admin**

My Mood:

My husband just smiles most of the time He also doesn't ask but knows that I make some of it back afterwards. Newborns are costly and once your baby is a bit older you won't need quite as much.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

wellll dh and i kinda do things differently...he gets pocket money out of every paycheck and i don't...i put everything else into the bank account...so when i want something i just make sure all the other bills are paid first and then i shop away...i mean i don't go crazy or anything...although this week i kinda have since i have ordered several things, but i also haven't bought diapers in awhile...i did buy myself diapers as part of my christmas...i got some good deals on balck friday and then put them under the tree for the new baby! silly i know but dd1 liked opening the gifts for the new baby!

I have thought about giving myself a pp balance each week or so...but then i don't know...i would rather have the money in the bank in case there was somewhere else i wanted to spend the money...walmart, hobby lobby, mall, trade days, etc.
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

It depends on our financial situtation at that time. So with DD we didn't have extra money, we couldn't even pay our electric bill one month. So I bought used prefolds and used or ffs covers. When those outgrew we started ECing out of necessity and grandma gave us $100 for diapers. I bought used OS fitteds with those and stained, well worn wool covers for cheap. My wool stash is mostly junkie looking if you look closely they're stained, small holes etc but functional.

Now with this LO I'm selling what I'm not wanting/needing BEFORE I buy something else. I'm also selling things around the house. Which may only be $5-20 items but that's what I'd be spending on diapers.

I have hidden countless packages from DH too

When he saw the full stash he was shocked how much we had but we use the majority of it. Plus we sun dry which means I can't get by with 2 dozen for a NB and a dozen for an older baby unless I did laundry every day. PLUS we plan on having lots more LOs to put in CDs so he would also rather have what we like to use.

I did splurge on some bamboo pfs for this LO but they're used and were a really good price and I was babysitting at the time so the money didn't leave his wallet.

Right now we need all our money going to food & bills & chiro & travel & anything extra is for our business. So even though $10-20 seems small and insignificant, at the end of the month you can easily spend $100.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12

Last edited by SeaChellsRun; 01-11-2012 at 11:34 AM.
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I Started my stash while ttc so when I actually got pregnant, it didn't seem like we were spending a lot to get all the items I needed to finish it. As for other baby items, I stock up whenever I find a super good deal (I use coupons) and DH comes with me eveytime and never complains since he knows how much money I save us
Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I should add that even thought DH doesn't see the money going out or the majority of the packages... He still freaks out, so probably should ignore my post if you're looking for help

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lol. Well dh I think knows I'm upset right now waiting for info from Dr. so he hasn't said anything about my spending. Guess I shouldn't take too much advantage of this.