Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
ANyone have experience with milk and wheat allergy?

Went to our new pediatrician today and she looked over DS. She thinks his exzema is a reaction to wheat and milk. She also said no citric foods, no nuts, no eggs.

I assume since I breastfeed I have to cut out the same items?

SHe said it is not the same as a gluten or lactose intolerance, that its a what allergy she thinks.

Has anyone had either of these, she said to use spelt instead of wheat and to use goat cheese and milk.

I have no experience in this and have no clue where to even begin to change our diet, how to get meal ideas ect. Could I just use gluten free recipes?

Any tips?

Also is anyone vegetarian? She said to be careful with soy, but most veggie items here are soy based. Not sure what I should eat now. GOat milk and cheese scares the crap out of me

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ANyone have experience with milk and wheat allergy?

Yes you would need to cut everything out of your diet. Did your doc do blood work? Skin test? Is she basing this opinion solely on eczema? Because you can have eczema without a food allergy. Are you suppose to be temp avoiding these foods and adding them back in one at a time? What is the plan?

Citric foods are tough on little stomachs- that's the only reason I can think of for the citrus. The others are part of the top food allergies, most common food allergies.

Gluten free is not the same as wheat free. But you would probably be safe using gluten free stuff/recipes- you have to read your labels. I am not sure how Germany does it,but in the US all of the things that your suppose to avoid have to be listed on the label in a "contain" statement.

I am scared of goat's milk as well. I can't stand goat cheese. You do have the option of rice milk- just check your lables or the company' internet site out to make sure its wheat free.

But, really what is the long term plan from your doc?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

She gave me a huge list:
Wheat
Chocolate
Nuts
Citris fruit
Acidic foods like tomatoes
Eggs
carrots
Apple
Dairy

We go back in 3 weeks. But I have been googling and nothing comes up eliminating all that.

And she said use spelt. I have never in my life cooked from raw grains even if I bought it I would have no idea what to do.

She looked at his skin, she said excema on the chest and wrists is from wheat. On his cheeks is from milk.

She also said not to use cooconut oil on his skin because it is a nut.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Should I make an appointment at a dermatologist and just pay the copay to get a second opinion? Or should we give this a go?

I spend 2 hours googling and only came up with 2 dinners. I realize I may not know what to look for, but this is really stressful.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Oh she also said avoid soy.

She did not say gluten free, she even said they are different its a wheat allergy she thinks. But I have no where else to start in google for recipes.

She said once his skin clears up and he is not teething we can try foods again. I am not sure if she means when all his teeth are in or why that affects his skin. She made it seem like once all his teeth are in, she was talking about front, bottom and back teeth. I think next time I need to take DH. We go back in 3 to 4 weeks.

I am supposed to keep a food vs skin reaction log.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might be missing something, but I have never heard of specific allergies causing eczema in specific places on the body. I know that flare-ups reoccur in the same spots most of the time. My dd only gets it behind her ears, and its not caused by her food allergies. Her food allergens have been eliminated for 3 years. Sounds like she wants you on an elimination type diet. I would go to an allergists. But a lot of people believe in elimination diets to determine allergies. Again just because he has eczema doesn't mean its caused by an allergy. Allergy testing can be costly, ins may not cover it all. But its a lot quicker then an elimination diet.

For food don't bother with trying to find recipes that eliminate so many things. I am guessing since you mentioned the food diary that she wants you free for the whole 3 weeks? And then you'll add things back one by one to determine if a food is causing the problem. It could take months to add the foods back in. I would stick to basic foods- fresh fruit and veg, meat. You can look for carb type stuff if you like, but if its only going to be a few weeks before you start adding stuff back in then it will be easier to stick to a fresher diet. Was oats on the list? You could have oatmeal for breakfast.There are several cereals that will probably work- as long as rice or corn isn't on the list. Grilled chicken salad or other salads for lunches,or meat and what ever veggies you like- steamed, no oil (maybe olive oil) or butter. You'll have to season with spices. Dinner- more of the same-meat, steamed veggie and fruit. If rice isn't on your avoid list- plain, pure rice is wheat free.Again you'll have to figure out seasoning- chicken broth would work well then salt and pepper.

The teething thing ???? it can cause rashes, but that is usually just around the mouth or where the drool gets. You know it might be due to weakened immune system. Eczema flares under stress and during illnesses.

Coconut is not a nut, its a fruit and an allergy to it is not common (this is actually one of my dd's allergies). Some people with tree nut allergies can't eat coconut or nutmeg, but most can. It can be irritating to some people's skin though.

Last edited by jbug_4; 01-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is your ped older? It used to be thought that citrus worsened the symptoms on eczema. It was a wives tale pretty much, but doctors in the early 90's were still under the impression that it was true. My poor husband wasn't allowed anything but grape flavored stuff until he moved out thanks to having an under informed pediatrician.

Anyway - allergies can trigger for sure, but I think your doc needs to run some tests. Also I wouldn't cut out every single thing. I would cut out stuff one at a time. I know a lot of people cut every thing out, wait for it to clear up, then start adding stuff back in, but I personally think that's a much more painful method. And yes if you're breastfeeding you need to abstain from the bad foods too.

All that aside - your ped sounds like a moron and I would get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone. Autocorrect hates me.

Life is good.

Last edited by reithegenki; 01-12-2012 at 06:14 AM.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

He has had excema since he was born, it flaired up really bad in September when I flew home. At that point it was diagnosed as Neurodermititis. Our last pediatrician had us give him almond oil baths, and ordered a special anti scratch sleep suit. He said he wanted us to go in for allergy testing. Oh and to put fat cream on DS 3 times a day.

I never seen this lady before she is the new on after our move. She would not give me a refferal to a skin doctor tehy do allergy testing here.

I bet I could just call up our old doc and have him write one and put it in the mail.

Yeah the thing she said really confused me. But sometimes it is a bit hard with the language barrier.

She said she never once had a patient whos excema did not clear up with food changes, or maybe she was saying she had never had a patient with exzema as bad as DS? I have no clue.

I think maybe I will see is DH can call or at least go with us next time. Because maybe I am missing something. But she was clearly saying when exzema shows up on the chest it is mostly from wheat and on the cheeks from milk. That each body part was from ana allergy. I never heard that.

My DH is 30 and he has had ezema his whole life. I mean I do not doubt dietary changes would really help his as well if food triggers, but his never was outgrown.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reithegenki View Post
Is your ped older? It used to be thought that citrus worsened the symptoms on eczema. It was a wives tale pretty much, but doctors in the early 90's were still under the impression that it was true. My poor husband wasn't allowed anything but grape flavored stuff until he moved out thanks to having an under informed pediatrician.

Anyway - allergies can trigger for sure, but I think your doc needs to run some tests. Also I wouldn't cut out every single thing. I would cut out stuff one at a time. I know a lot of people cut every thing out, wait for it to clear up, then start adding stuff back in, but I personally think that's a much more painful method. And yes if you're breastfeeding you need to abstain from the bad foods too.

All that aside - your ped sounds like a moron and I would get a second opinion.

She is probablly in her 40's. I was a bit confused because normally here you find drs who are all gung ho for natural meds, or those who are all gung ho medical. Or maybe in the middle. But she had no interest in natural remedies nor medication.

I was really shocked when she said no coconut oil that its a nut

And no carrots or apples? Why? I mean I can understand wheat or lactose sensitivities but carrots.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It happened when you moved? I bet you it's an external trigger like an allergen in your new place or the area, stress from the move, or just his skin acclimating to the new environment.

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote