Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Sores! HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
Mibarra, did you use the neosporin in cloth or sposies? DD has a rasg that the drdiagnosed as yeast and it came back, only now it looks more like big pimples with white heads. A few of them have lost the heads and areopen. When we originally treated the yeast with athletes foot creme she didnt mind,but now she shrieks :-(. DH hates sposies and will complain to no end if weare looking at another week of them to treat this!
That sounds very much like infected skin follicles sometimes called folliculitus and frequently caused by staph. You should take your LO to the pedi for a check because you need a script for stronger antibiotic cream. They can be VERY painful Likely whatever you were using to treat the original reash clogged the follicles and cause an infection. Our son got this from Aquafor(which I know better than to use now)when he was a little guy. We have also had it from bathing suits.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Sores! HELP!!!

There are several things likely to contribute to the problem.

First, change more often. When there is a rash lurking, change as often as each pee and check once every one to two hours at the latest.

Sunbaby uses fleece & microfiber. A sensitivity to one or both isn't all that uncommon. Also, microfiber is well known for holding on to all kinds of nasty and not getting clean. It is killer to get all of the ammonia out of, and people often resort to boiling or replacing.

Many ointments, salves and rash creams are not cloth diaper compatible. It clings and does not come out even with vigorous washing. A&D, Desitin, Butt Paste, and many more will lead to some really foul smelling diapers that leak and look really bad. The residue will also hold on to ammonia, bacteria, and fungi, leading to more rash problems than what you start with. Powders can do the same. If you didn't use a liner between baby's butt and the diaper, much of that is probably still in your diapers. Search around on here and you'll find a million and one cloth diaper safe options for protecting baby's skin that won't kill your diapers.

You need to use something stronger and made to wash clothes. Dawn is good for stripping. Borax and baking soda are decent boosters (though the borax will break down the elastic from what I've read), but they weren't really designed to wash clothes, much less ones as soiled as diapers. Get some Tide, All, or other Original formula detergent without anything special and in an original scent. They'll have enzymes in them that will break down the residue on your diapers. You could try one of the diaper-specific detergents like Rockin' Green or Country Save, but I'd pass them by for some tried and true enzyme power. You're also going to need to break out a bit of bleach to kill what's growing in them, either bacteria like staph or a fungus like yeast probably. A 1/2 cup for a load of diapers (and wipes if you do cloth) and you'll get an amazing amount of crud out of them. You don't have to do it every load, but once a week until the rash is totally clear and then once a month or so won't hurt at all. I would add one extra rinse and a little sunning occasionally to the routine you posted, but I think the biggest culprit is your detergent or lack thereof and the combination with the microfiber inserts. You may need to boil your inserts to get them disinfected.

The smell indicates there is something still in your diapers that is not getting washed out. What you call stripping, I call just really good rinsing. They rash is showing up when there is poop because the skin is most irritated at that time and irritated skin will grow bacteria and fungi like crazy.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley
Mibarra, did you use the neosporin in cloth or sposies? DD has a rasg that the drdiagnosed as yeast and it came back, only now it looks more like big pimples with white heads. A few of them have lost the heads and areopen. When we originally treated the yeast with athletes foot creme she didnt mind,but now she shrieks :-(. DH hates sposies and will complain to no end if weare looking at another week of them to treat this!
I used sposies because I'm paranoid about my cloth, but you could maybe use some fleece liners?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote