Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

Post Oversupply Issues -so frustrated!

I have just about been in tears all morning. After talking to the nurse at my Ped's office, we think I have an over supply of milk that is causing problems for DS2 who is 7 weeks. First is an intense weight gain although that is not of too much concern. The problem is he has frequent issues of projectile vomit/spit up, and every night from about 3-5 am just constantly spits, sputters, chokes and gags. He often spits up or even projectile vomits while still nursing.

He won't take a pacifier but often wants to nurse, often seemingly just for comfort. And has been what I thought was comfort feeding just about every hour from 5-9pm. During the day he nurses every 2 hours, and at night we co-sleep and he nurses about every 1.5-2 hrs.

She recommended a few things but one was to try pumping and bottle feeding. I went ahead and pumped (5+ ounces). Within about 15 minutes later he acted hungry, crying, making eh, eh, eh sound & rooting. I tried the bottle and he completely refused it. Making things worse the milk drips out of the bottle into his mouth and he was gagging on that too making him even more furious.

Finally I did what she said I shouldn't which was to nurse him (because after pumupping it could increase my supply). I tried nursing just enough to calm him then try bottle again-no go. Instead he was just screaming & almost hysterical. So, back to nursing we went. I have just been nursing on the one side and am needing to pump the other.

I don't know why I'm even posting. I'm just so frustrated & needed to vent. Adding to my frustration is the fact that I'm returning to part-time work at the end of the month and he is refusing a bottle! We only tried it one other time but despite initial reluctance he did take it. Ugh!

Advertisement

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hugs mama...my ds2 was the same way.

We figured his was reflux and a dairy, soy, nut and egg intolerance. Milk soothed his throat from the reflux and his tummy was very irritated by certain foods.

It takes 6 weeks for the food to leave your system but I saw a change much sooner than that.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
tiffysgot5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Oversupply Issues -so frustrated!

I too was going to mention reflux. Our toddler had it so bad as an infant and if she wasnt vomiting she was crying and bedtime was the worst! She ended up sleeping in the rocking/bouncy/vibrating chair for months because every time she laid down she spit up or woke up. Good luck and hang in there mama!

If I have forgotten to leave you feedback send me a PM as I still have post partum baby brain

swaggin for amazon giftcards!! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/plusflve
tiffysgot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

No pumping for oversuppliers!!! I've got so much, I'm block-feeding for 12-hrs at a time PER BOOB and LO stilllll has green poop.

If oversupply and engorged, take a shower and hand-express just enough to relieve pain or wear a Milkies Milk Catcher/Collector and just let it run. Actively removing milk just causes your body to make more.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you been block nursing? I would try that before pumping and bottle feeding. Block nursing information: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

ETA: don't pump the other side, but like a PP said, you can express a little to relieve fullness and discomfort.

Last edited by VeganCupcake; 01-12-2012 at 03:54 PM.
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Block feeding worked for us! Also peppermint or sage tea. I also cut carbs and ate more fat. That seemed to help my hind/for milk issue. When ds would fall asleep at the boob I would pop in a binky other wise he would sleep nurse and gag. Try different types of binkys. It really saved us. Ds would end up choking with milk coming out of his nose which caused nose bleeds. Don't pump!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Mom2Milo
Registered Users

I block fed and quit pumping; that worked for me.
Mom2Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might try a chiropractor to rule out reflux issues and see if that will help- as others have said, it could also be an intolerance to something that you're eating. cut out pasteurized dairy and soy first and see if that helps, since those are usually the worst offenders.
As someone else said, it can never hurt to cut carbs and add in more healthy fats. Coconut oil is a great one to add in. I put it in my tea.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the support ladies! I have been block feeding all afternoon since the bottle fiasco and that does seem to help. I also just got a variety of pacifiers to try for when he wants to suck but doesn't need to eat.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
You might try a chiropractor to rule out reflux issues and see if that will help- as others have said, it could also be an intolerance to something that you're eating. cut out pasteurized dairy and soy first and see if that helps, since those are usually the worst offenders.
As someone else said, it can never hurt to cut carbs and add in more healthy fats. Coconut oil is a great one to add in. I put it in my tea.
Cut carve and dairy!?! I'd never make it. Lol. I had been thinking of trying to find a chiro so may try that.