Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question LOTS of babysitting ??'s, both for parents & caregivers...contracts? PLS READ! lol

So, I was baby sitting my nephew (now 8 mo) for my sister, but she lost her job a couple weeks ago. I was really used to the $$ & now we're struggling. It was only $10/day M-Sat.

I'm now considering getting a WOHM job to help get by I DO NOT want to have to do this! I EBF my ds, who is only 3 months old & I'm bi-polar/manic-depressive/whatever you wanna call it...I *really* don't think I could handle leaving him w/ somebody...hell...leaving him PERIOD! I'm quite stable right now, though, and have been for quite a while, so I'm not worried about that being a problem. I don't think I'd make enough anyway to pay someone to care for him the way I'd want them to! lol

I'm thinking about maybe taking a kid or 2 to babysit, but I don't want to be left high & dry again with no notice (like I was w/ my sister). We just got a new 28'x66' double wide in January & have *plenty* of room for them to play.

So...my questions are as follows (directed both at parents & caregivers):
*What is a fair rate?

*Do you have a contract? If so, could you *PLEASE* share it with me? (email is jbaskc@psci.net)

*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2?

*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families?

*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do?

*What kind of qualifications would you look for?

*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.)

*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities?

*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?)

Anything else you think is important?

BTW-My Mom was a SAHM most of my childhood & babysat full time (talking 12-15 kids)...I babysat from the time I was 12 all the way through HS, took babysitting courses, have been Inf/Child/Adult CPR certified MANY times (in fact just did it in February), have 4 kids of my own (ages 11, 8, 6 & 3 months) & I SAH...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by jbaskc; 04-19-2007 at 09:35 PM.
jbaskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LOTS of babysitting ??'s, both for parents & caregivers...contracts? PLS READ! lo

*What is a fair rate? It depends on where you live, I would call other providers that have ads and ask what they are charging

*Do you have a contract? If so, could you *PLEASE* share it with me? (email is jbaskc@psci.net) Yes, I will email you

*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2? I CD, I no longer BF. But, DS previous providers BF and it wasn't an issue. I wish I could convert all my parents to CDs, I don't find it to be an issue.

*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families? I have multiple famlies, 3 children (2mo, 2yrs and 5yrs). Plus My 2.5 yr old and 10 mo old. I think the number you care for totally depends on what you are comfortable with. My 2mo old is PT 95% of the time and I get FT rates for him because I am flexible. My 2yr old comes 4days a week, but pays FT because he sometimes comes 5. My 5 yr old is FT.

*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do?I provide food for children who are eating table food. If they are on BM or formula and baby food the parent provides that. I would lower my rates if the parent chose to provide the food.

*What kind of qualifications would you look for? I went to school with a focus on early child development

*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.) Some parents are concerned about pets, I have one indoor dog and my parents are fine with him.

*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities? I do offer them and they are a portion of our day.

*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?) My DD is selective/delayed vax and DS was vaxed so I haven't had to deal with that. I have had parents ask if my children were vaxed.

Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LOTS of babysitting ??'s, both for parents & caregivers...contracts? PLS READ! lo

Thanks so much! I'll be anxiously waiting the contract!

Anyone else?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaskc View Post
Thanks so much! I'll be anxiously waiting the contract!

Anyone else?
I mailed it earlier, LMK if you got it
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
I mailed it earlier, LMK if you got it
Yep...it went to my junkmail folder Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*What is a fair rate?
call around in your area
*Do you have a contract? If so, could you *PLEASE* share it with me? (email is jbaskc@psci.net)
I'll look for mine and send it
*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2?
I BF and CD my dd and I've been doing childcare for over 1 1/2 yrs since she was about 10 months and it's never been a problem. All of the other kids I've watched were BF'd and CD'd and I offered to use CDs with all of them.
*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families?
In my state, one doesn't need a license to watch multiple children from the same family. A license is required for watching children from more than one family if they are there at the same time. So you might want to check with your state/county for guidelines. I find it easiest to have children around my dd's age.

*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do?
Most of the families have brought their own food which I prefer so there is no question about what the kiddos can/will eat.

*What kind of qualifications would you look for?
Experience and references

*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.)
You will just want to let the families know that you have them and where they will be while their children are in your care.

*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities?
Yes, some but if the kiddos are engaged in playing, I won't inturrupt their play for something that I have planned. We go to storytime at the local library, music class, open gym, zoo, conservatory, children's museum, parks, walks, etc. At home, we paint, dance, sing, play, color, do puzzles, read tons of books, and just have fun.

*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?)
I didn't think that would be a problem.

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
mama2iliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nm, I'm an idiot! lol

Last edited by jbaskc; 04-19-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Well, I’m really picky…… but here’s my $0.02

Check into the regulations in your area- here, if you take 1 child for more than certain # of hrs, you need a license. I would not use an unlicensed provider. Nor would I use a provider w/o a contract. The contract protects both parties –look for the posts the past 2 weeks from a mamma who was doing childcare that went badly.

I also wouldn’t send my dd to a provider who had pets that had any sort of access to the children. I’d want to see the facilities where the dogs are kept, how secure it is, their vaccination records, management plans to know how you’re going to let them out/in w/kids around etc. I have dogs and I have not had a sitter at home b/c I just don’t trust anyone to be able to manage both the dogs and the kid. (again, I’m super picky)

Here, your children count in the total you’re allowed to take. I know the ratios for 1 provider here are 2 infants (< 2.9yrs) 3 if 1 of them is walking and up to 6 kids total. So, you would only be able to take 2 kids, depending on their ages.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

*What is a fair rate? I pay my sister $100 a week to watch DD

*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2? My sister EBFs and CDs and ECs my neice and was watching DD and 2 other kids (3 yo and 6 months or so) for a couple of months

*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families? Whatever you think you can handle without going crazy and while conforming to any guidelines in your area

*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do? Have one rate for if they provide table food for DCs and another rate for if they do not, but if they are EBF or FF or eat baby food, parents should provide that

*What kind of qualifications would you look for? I like to talk to provider for a while first and see if I like them and their parenting/childcare philosophies and see if ours "mesh" and I look to see if the other kids they watch/their kids are happy/feel secure in the environment. I like 2 week trial periods, I think they are good for provider and child to see if it will work or not. . .

*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.) I don't like pets having much interaction with DD unless I am there. DD is too trusting of animals.

*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities? I don't expect caregivers to take my child anywhere in a vehicle (except my family, mom, sister, etc) but I do like it when caregivers take DD outside for walks, let her play in kiddy pools in the summer, draw on the driveway with chalk, etc.

*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?) DD is vaxed so this really doesn't apply to me
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
Well, I’m really picky…… but here’s my $0.02

Check into the regulations in your area- here, if you take 1 child for more than certain # of hrs, you need a license. I would not use an unlicensed provider. Nor would I use a provider w/o a contract. The contract protects both parties –look for the posts the past 2 weeks from a mamma who was doing childcare that went badly.
If you are talking about shortcake2386, she had a contract with that family and it still went badly. A contract does not protect you from it going badly, it just CYA and enables you to be reimbursed if it does go badly and you have to take them to court to get what is entitled to you.